Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Double ummm! ?

1as99d77hi731.jpg
BTDT. I drove Peterbilt 389s and pulled end dumps for ten years. Basically, if the stuff could be dumped on the ground, we could haul it there. One of our major accounts had us picking up at a pit and taking gravel to another town, that had a 13' 1" underpass en route. No prob, my rig was under 12' height. This was a routine run that I did several times a month year in year out.

I left that company and started driving OTR: Kenworth road tractors with full height sleepers pulling mostly 53' x 13' 6" vans. About 6 months on the job I was en route to a pick up that took me on the same road with that underpass; first time on that road since joining the new company.

Familiarity shut down my brain; the sign displaying the bridge height never registered. I got further under than this poor driver did, but I was able to back out of it. Cosmetic damage to the fiberglass cab/sleeper, but rolled the trailer roof back like a sardine can lid and damaged several side panels. $19,000 damage total.
facepalm.jpeg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
BTDT. I drove Peterbilt 389s and pulled end dumps for ten years. Basically, if the stuff could be dumped on the ground, we could haul it there. One of our major accounts had us picking up at a pit and taking gravel to another town, that had a 13' 1" underpass en route. No prob, my rig was under 12' height. This was a routine run that I did several times a month year in year out.

I left that company and started driving OTR: Kenworth road tractors with full height sleepers pulling mostly 53' x 13' 6" vans. About 6 months on the job I was en route to a pick up that took me on the same road with that underpass; first time on that road since joining the new company.

Familiarity shut down my brain; the sign displaying the bridge height never registered. I got further under than this poor driver did, but I was able to back out of it. Cosmetic damage to the fiberglass cab/sleeper, but rolled the trailer roof back like a sardine can lid and damaged several side panels. $19,000 damage total.
facepalm.jpeg
My friend has a moving company an there was a overhead wire that somehow broke free of the pole an was dangling low. It peeled his new trailer like a sardine can too.