First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
There is a thread over on the show and tell section about a nice looking Ranger that is owned by a couple who sells Desert Tortoises. They are in North Las Vegas, likely near where my in-laws live, probably have to go check them out the next time we are visiting.

I found it interesting that in Nevada, all the desert tortoises are the property of Nevada, even the ones living in captivity. I guess you just get to be their caretaker. Which makes sense when I think if I got one, it likely would outlive me by about 80 years…. :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is a thread over on the show and tell section about a nice looking Ranger that is owned by a couple who sells Desert Tortoises. They are in North Las Vegas, likely near where my in-laws live, probably have to go check them out the next time we are visiting.

I found it interesting that in Nevada, all the desert tortoises are the property of Nevada, even the ones living in captivity. I guess you just get to be their caretaker. Which makes sense when I think if I got one, it likely would outlive me by about 80 years…. :)
Hi Bill,

Same in Arizona....AZ owns all tortoise, but for practical purposes the tortoise is your pet in your forever home... AZ also has a law that it is illegal to buy and sell tortoise.. They can be given away and received free...no profit and no illegal breeding allowed. That is why The AZ Dept of Game and Fish has over 200 tortoise waiting to be adopted into a forever home.. Rangers learn of illegal breeding and confiscate the tortoises...Then Tegan Wolf, the Game and Fish tortoise manager has to build more pens for the confiscated tortoise. It is also illegal to have a male and a female tortoise...One Tortoise per person per household. Have to be the same sex...

Best,
Phil

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Hi Bill,

Same in Arizona....AZ owns all tortoise, but for practical purposes the tortoise is your pet in your forever home... AZ also has a law that it is illegal to buy and sell tortoise.. They can be given away and received free...no profit and no illegal breeding allowed. That is why The AZ Dept of Game and Fish has over 200 tortoise waiting to be adopted into a forever home.. Rangers learn of illegal breeding and confiscate the tortoises...Then Tegan Wolf, the Game and Fish tortoise manager has to build more pens for the confiscated tortoise. It is also illegal to have a male and a female tortoise...One Tortoise per person per household. Have to be the same sex...

Best,
Phil
I couldn’t imagine the same issues as cats and dogs existed for the tortoise population.

I bet the longevity disparity creates issues just by itself. Heck, I worry about not outliving our current two dogs…

But I guess anytime you have people…. :(

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn’t imagine the same issues as cats and dogs existed for the tortoise population.

I bet the longevity disparity creates issues just by itself. Heck, I worry about not outliving our current two dogs…

But I guess anytime you have people…. :(
Hi Bill,

To be around for Tito's passing, I would have to be close to 150 years old....not going to happen and is why he is in our Trust. Our trustee knows that she must make arrangements for Tito to enter the Tortoise Adoption Program at the Tucson Sonoran Desert Museum...

Best,
Phil

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Hi Bill,

To be around for Tito's passing, I would have to be close to 150 years old....not going to happen and is why he is in our Trust. Our trustee knows that she must make arrangements for Tito to enter the Tortoise Adoption Program at the Tucson Sonoran Desert Museum...

Best,
Phil
Sounds like Tito has a good dad.:rockon:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
My boss calls me "the computer".
Nothing to do with intelligence, I go to sleep if left unattended for 15 minutes.