Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
The last few days the alarm on my truck has been randomly going off due the the 'hood being open', and sometimes while driving I'll get the notification on the dash as well.

Anyone know where the sensor is in these cars? I'm assuming it's just not being depressed enough with the hood shut, so maybe I need to adjust the sensor, or maybe the hood latch? It also seems like it's not held very tight when latched

I'd really like to just adjust it myself after work instead of having to take it to the dealer and deal with this for several more days
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you see any wires going to the hood latch, that’s your sensor. I don’t remember whether the Ranger has it there or not.

Tangential topic. Anyone with an XL care to report, do you have the hood sensor? I was putting a front clip on our 2014 Escape SE. My donor parts were off of an Escape S. The S had a blank where the sensor was supposed to be, just something to clip the wire harness to to keep it from dangling. Cheapskates! I had to dig up my original hood latch to get the message to dismiss.

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you see any wires going to the hood latch, that’s your sensor. I don’t remember whether the Ranger has it there or not.

Tangential topic. Anyone with an XL care to report, do you have the hood sensor? I was putting a front clip on our 2014 Escape SE. My donor parts were off of an Escape S. The S had a blank where the sensor was supposed to be, just something to clip the wire harness to to keep it from dangling. Cheapskates! I had to dig up my original hood latch to get the message to dismiss.
mine is an XL model.

also, looks like there is a connector going to the hood latch... thanks. unfortunately the whole thing is surrounded by plastic so no idea if I can adjust it without taking a bunch of stuff apart. I ended up completely disconnecting it for now, so it thinks the hood is always open. hopefully that will at least keep the alarm from going off in the middle of the night, even though I'll still get that annoying hood open message on the gauge cluster

LaKings

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The last few days the alarm on my truck has been randomly going off due the the 'hood being open', and sometimes while driving I'll get the notification on the dash as well.

Anyone know where the sensor is in these cars? I'm assuming it's just not being depressed enough with the hood shut, so maybe I need to adjust the sensor, or maybe the hood latch? It also seems like it's not held very tight when latched

I'd really like to just adjust it myself after work instead of having to take it to the dealer and deal with this for several more days
Did you get this issue fixed? I think the same thing is happening with me.

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
nope, I just unplugged the hood latch for now so the alarm won't be triggered, but the down side is it won't let the car remote start when it thinks the hood is open.

also I tried jumpering the connector to trick it into thinking its closed, and the alarm started going off again the next day, so I'm guessing there's something deeper going on.

I need to take it to the dealer at some point, I just don't want to be without my truck while they look into it
Sponsored