First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Don't like the strap on or clip on tow mirrors available. and although I admire the new mirrors coming out of Australia, a $1000 price tag is a bit hard to eat.
I have been playing with stuff I had around the garage and a $20 buck mirror and think I came up with a removable mirror, just leaving a small bracket attached to the bottom of the factory mirror.
Pic's show the aluminum pieces I used and the mirror bought on Amazon. The angle piece is from a length of 1 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch thick angle, and the flat is cut from a length of 1 inch x 1/8 inch flat stock. I left it at 8 inches in length for extra mounting holes if needed.
The angle piece is 3 inches long, and will be attached permanently to the bottom of the factory mirror.
The mirror, attached to the flat stock will be removable when not in use, so the only permanent addition to the Ranger will be the angle bracket.
Holes in bracket/flat stock attachment will use 1/4 x 20 hardware. Holes were drilled offset so right/left mirrors don't get mixed up.
The mirror has a ball/socket that is tightened down with 2 screws. When taken on/off/on/off. the mirror should hold its original position/angle so I won't have to re-adjust it every time.
Pics posted give some idea where I'm at now....have to smooth out the metal edges, paint, and mount to the factory mirror bottom. Going to mount the bracket using high strength 3M trim tape, along with two #10 x 24 machine screws/lock nuts.
Entire assembly only weighs 11 ounces, so hopefully won't effect the factory mirror.
Will post more pics as I finish, if anyone is interested.

IMG_20220202_120307441.jpg

IMG_20220204_111443423.jpg

IMG_20220204_111500376.jpg

IMG_20220204_111636234.jpg

IMG_20220204_111648248.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RP...have no idea as a lot of posts I've read here and on other sites indicate those strap on/clip on mirror assemblies may fly off long before the factory mirror folds.
I think my home made will be a lot more rigid so no distortion/bouncing around, and light enough that the factory mirror won't be affected.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Little update...
Re-did the brackets and smoothed out edges and holes. Have to wait a few days as temp is to cold and windy to paint properly (rattle can) outside.
Pic gives some idea as to what they will look like when mounted. Mirror and it's arm will simply un bolt when not needed, leaving only the angle bracket permanently attached to the factory mirror bottom.
Whole assembly weighs in at 11 1/4 oz which is less than a strap on type mirror.

IMG_20220207_125609522.jpg

IMG_20220207_125619172.jpg

IMG_20220207_130011636.jpg

IMG_20220207_130023296.jpg

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Looks pretty functional to me - nicely done. And if you have vibration/wind issues, the same exact setup but using an L shaped strip of aluminum should make it rigid enough to correct that.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks pretty functional to me - nicely done. And if you have vibration/wind issues, the same exact setup but using an L shaped strip of aluminum should make it rigid enough to correct that.
Vibration, if any, should be much less than those silly strap on/clip on mirrors.
Wind...the mirror arm is only 10 inches long and is 1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick aluminum stock.....does not bend at all.
Nice thing is that once I have both mirrors adjusted and set, I can take them on/off as needed without the mirror head moving. Should stay adjusted permanently.
Strap on type need to be readjusted almost every time you take them off and put em back on.

Last edited:

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Just a guess, but I predict that the aluminum flat bar will bend in the wind pretty easily. You may need to swap that piece out for a section of right-angle rather than flat bar.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just a guess, but I predict that the aluminum flat bar will bend in the wind pretty easily. You may need to swap that piece out for a section of right-angle rather than flat bar.
If it does, yeah, I'll use the angle for an arm...have plenty left, but the arm to where the mirror bolt is drilled is only 7 inches. I can barely bend it by hand, so I think it will hole up.
Trial n error trying to come up with something that will function better than strap on and cheaper then the $1000 Australian mirrors.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If it does, yeah, I'll use the angle for an arm...have plenty left, but the arm to where the mirror bolt is drilled is only 7 inches. I can barely bend it by hand, so I think it will hole up.
Trial n error trying to come up with something that will function better than strap on and cheaper then the $1000 Australian mirrors.
Instead of flat bar or angle if you fInd you need to swap it out for more rigidity use 1” square tubing with a thin wall. Very rigid and light. BTW, nice job with what you did. Simple but very effective, well done mate!

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Instead of flat bar or angle if you fInd you need to swap it out for more rigidity use 1” square tubing with a thin wall. Very rigid and light. BTW, nice job with what you did. Simple but very effective, well done mate!
I looked at 3/4 inch square alum. stock at Lowe's and it would work and look better than flat or angle...and I can always re-do the arms later if needed.
But I just used what I had on hand in the garage.
So far only expenditure is for the 2 mirrors via Amazon...$40.00.
The mirrors are 8 inches x 4 1/2 inches and if I find their too big I can always go to a 4 or 5 inch round head.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finished drivers side.
Two pics show bracket that will be permanently attached to Ranger mirror.
Two pics show with mirrors attached.. Quick take off using thumb screws.
Seems very secure, but will take it on road tomorrow, up on x-way to see how secure and if any vibration.

IMG_20220210_123324230.jpg

IMG_20220210_123308676.jpg

IMG_20220210_123458912.jpg

IMG_20220210_123507886.jpg

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
and keep an eye on your mirror housing for cracking over time
Yeah, plan on watching it.
Plan to pop the mirror shell off and see if there's access to the screws I used...if I can I plan to back the screws with some wide washers. Impossible to do thru the mirror/front housing .
But the bottom of the mirror is some tough stuff...don't think it's gonna crack...
Will see.....

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Great job @Grumpaw. Just curious how you attached the bracket to the oem mirror, did you take the cap off and nut and bolt it? If that's the case I wonder of there is room inside that cavity to install 2 threaded rivets, that way you could remove all of it and use bolts with a lock washer to attach as needed?

YYCRanger

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
We’ve been very happy with this camera. it uses the travel trailer’s factory installed Furrion mount and comes with an adapter cable. Very plug and play. I hated the strap on mirrors we had. The monitor shows a great view behind us as we drive with a very wide angle. Lots of YouTube videos to see what the camera shows while you’re driving. With this system and the existing Ranger mirrors, I have great vision while towing and complete confidence changing lanes. As a bonus, it has a microphone so you can hear your spotter while backing into your campsite. Just suggesting an alternative.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great job @Grumpaw. Just curious how you attached the bracket to the oem mirror, did you take the cap off and nut and bolt it? If that's the case I wonder of there is room inside that cavity to install 2 threaded rivets, that way you could remove all of it and use bolts with a lock washer to attach as needed?
Attached with tape and screws.
Found some very strong 2 sided tape, pro automotive and marine grade. Used 3 layers (it's thin) as a cushion between bracket and mirror housing.
Used some # 10 self drilling 1/2 inch long screws thru bracket into housing. Sounds wonky but it is very strong and secure.
Holes are in such a place that later I can take the cap off and use some small # 10 nut/bolt hardware. Without taking cap off no way to use a machine bolt as no way to tighten nut.
I have used those strap on and clip on mirrors in the past, and even with tape and self tappers my mirror is much more rigid and secure than them.
If I do pull cap off and find there is access I'll re-do with machine screws/washer/nut.
Still playing...trailer not due in till around April 1st.
Also, the power folding function works just fine...appears to be no strain on the fold function.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We’ve been very happy with this camera. it uses the travel trailer’s factory installed Furrion mount and comes with an adapter cable. Very plug and play. I hated the strap on mirrors we had. The monitor shows a great view behind us as we drive with a very wide angle. Lots of YouTube videos to see what the camera shows while you’re driving. With this system and the existing Ranger mirrors, I have great vision while towing and complete confidence changing lanes. As a bonus, it has a microphone so you can hear your spotter while backing into your campsite. Just suggesting an alternative.
I have thought about camera's, but I've been doing this for so long I would be lost without mirrors.
And, when backing into tight spaces, camera is useless for side views.
My spotter has been with me for 36 years, and she and I have our signals down to just a few hand signals.
Sponsored