Hitch? What do I need

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hello everyone, total newbie here. I just bought my 2019 Lariat and it has a towing package on it and the trailer sway button. I assumed it would have a hitch but does not. It looks like it has the bar underneath just no mounted hitch. What would I need to add this?
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Hello everyone, total newbie here. I just bought my 2019 Lariat and it has a towing package on it and the trailer sway button. I assumed it would have a hitch but does not. It looks like it has the bar underneath just no mounted hitch. What would I need to add this?
You need to purchase a ball mount and a hitch ball. Many forum members are finding that they need a ball mount with a 6” drop and maybe more depending on the trailer.
There is a thread with much discussion on this subject. Search for ball mount in the thread titles.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Hiyas,

Not sure exactly what you are asking about, what or how heavy you are planning to tow. I will toss some ideas out there and let you decide. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas as well.

Our trucks tend to sit kinda high so the receiver is up there if you have a small utility trailer. I got a hitch with a 4" drop that is capable of handling the 7,500 lbs we can tow.

Hitch balls, I have a 1-7/8" for the utility trailer and a 2" for the heavier boat trailer. Your trailer should say on it what size it needs. Verify the ball can handle the weight you are planning to tow as well.

Hitch pins can come with locks on them if you want. Grab a couple, never hurts to have a spare.

A wrench for the hitch ball (if not welded to hitch). I have a combo one of 1-1/8" and 1-1/2". The thing is about 16" long.

D-Rings (not sure of official name) in case you need a few extra inches of reach for the trailer chains. Make sure you cross the chains so they catch the trailer.

A set of portable trailer lights can come in handy if the ones on the trailer don't work. If your lights are not water proof then disconnect them before backing trailer into the water for boat or jet skis, etc. In some cases you don't need trailer lights but I would rather have them to catch the attention of driver behind you.

A padlock with a large enough loop to go through the lock on the trailer.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Hope this helps.

Added
Congrats on your new Ranger.

Our hitch receivers are 2" so you would need a 2" hitch. As opposed to the smaller 1-1/2" hitch.

Last edited:

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
You have a class 3 hitch. It would be good to spend some time researching what you need beyond a "what do I need" general post.

Below is an image which will help you understand the classes.

And yes, the info above is correct, for a smallish size trailer or something which you don't want to have at an extreme angle, you will need a 6" drop hitch (hint: research how a "drop" is measured). You will be vastly better off for having done a few hours research into the subject than just being told what to do..... Had you bothered to give us enough information to actually answer your question in the first place, which you did not.

Matrix.jpg

sheesh its tall.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You have a class 3 hitch. It would be good to spend some time researching what you need beyond a "what do I need" general post.

Below is an image which will help you understand the classes.

And yes, the info above is correct, for a smallish size trailer or something which you don't want to have at an extreme angle, you will need a 6" drop hitch (hint: research how a "drop" is measured). You will be vastly better off for having done a few hours research into the subject than just being told what to do..... Had you bothered to give us enough information to actually answer your question in the first place, which you did not.

Matrix.jpg

sheesh its tall.jpg
Hi RB,

Thank you for posting this for fellow Ranger owners. Trailer tow and hitching are a bane of the industry to clearly state and the owners manual is woefully inadequate in this regard.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ranger is class IV, not class III. But mostly that's not a useful piece of information because the vendors seem to be all over the map in defining what class III is, and many for some reason disagree with the SAE standard. (That chart is wrong, for example.) It's more reliable to check the weight rating (in pounds) of everything (the truck, the receiver, the draw bar, the ball, the pin, the safety chain--everything) and just ignore the marketing class.

Last edited:
OP
OP
d_ganggreen

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thank you everyone for the assistance. I went back and looked at my window sticker and I do NOT have the tow package, just the trailer sway option. So I don't think i have the ability right now. Only thing I was looking for is to attach a bike swing that I had from my F-150. It uses the standard hitch receiver.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Thank you everyone for the assistance. I went back and looked at my window sticker and I do NOT have the tow package, just the trailer sway option. So I don't think i have the ability right now. Only thing I was looking for is to attach a bike swing that I had from my F-150. It uses the standard hitch receiver.
I made the same mistake. I have the trailer sway button but thought I had the tow package. If you buy the hitch and wiring harness you can add it in, I'm considering going to the dealer and having them do it just incase. I wanted to put on the weathertech bumper step.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only thing the tow package adds is a 2 inch hitch receiver and a seven pin trailer electrical connector. (Your truck already has a 4 pin connector, and can add a hitch ball to the bumper for towing.) To add accessories you definitely need a receiver. You can either buy the ford version (so it will end up looking like a factory tow package) or you can get a third party version which will hang lower under the bumper but will cost much less. It's a fairly straightforward install for the third party version (bolts on to the frame) or you can get it done at pretty much any towing shop (even u-haul). The ford version is much more involved, and includes replacement parts for the bumper so that the hitch can sit higher. If you look around on this site you can find pictures of both, including installation notes. You can google for Curt C13417 as an example, they're usually less than $150. The tow rating is a bit lower than the OEM or other third party hitches, but if you don't plan on towing more than 6k pounds it's the cheapest way to add bike racks, etc.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
The tow rating is a bit lower than the OEM or other third party hitches, but if you don't plan on towing more than 6k pounds it's the cheapest way to add bike racks, etc.
That is not quite accurate. The Curt hitch does have a 6,000 lb tow capacity (lower than the OEM) and a 900 lb tongue weight rating (greater than the OEM). However, the rating when using a weight distribution hitch climbs to 8,000 lbs for towing and a 900 lb tongue weight.

Curt Hitch.jpg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is not quite accurate. The Curt hitch does have a 6,000 lb tow capacity (lower than the OEM) and a 900 lb tongue weight rating (greater than the OEM). However, the rating when using a weight distribution hitch climbs to 8,000 lbs for towing and a 900 lb tongue weight.

Curt Hitch.jpg
Anything that's above OEM is a meaningless number. Manufacturer's note says "Trailer hitch weight ratings are limited to vehicle manufacturers stated capabilities." So the 900 and 8000 pound numbers are ratings for a hitch not attached to a ranger. I don't really understand what goes into Curt's web information, but it's a mess. They also call it class 3, but class 3 has a max of 5000lbs. I think someone contacted them and was told the web site was wrong but clearly that's not a priority. I'm also skeptical of the ratings if the OEM hitch is 7500 regardless of wc or wd, but the Curt part gains 1500 (nominally 2000) pounds with wd--it makes me think they're slapping a generic label on without actually testing the application.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Another forum member brought the Draw-Tite 76275 to my attention, currently $125 on Amazon. Has a higher tow rating than the Curt, although that sounds like it will be more than enough for your needs. Simply bolts onto the frame, so just about anybody should be able to install it.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Anything that's above OEM is a meaningless number. Manufacturer's note says "Trailer hitch weight ratings are limited to vehicle manufacturers stated capabilities." So the 900 and 8000 pound numbers are ratings for a hitch not attached to a ranger. I don't really understand what goes into Curt's web information, but it's a mess. They also call it class 3, but class 3 has a max of 5000lbs. I think someone contacted them and was told the web site was wrong but clearly that's not a priority. I'm also skeptical of the ratings if the OEM hitch is 7500 regardless of wc or wd, but the Curt part gains 1500 (nominally 2000) pounds with wd--it makes me think they're slapping a generic label on without actually testing the application.
Mike,

I was in no way insinuating to tow beyond the stated capacities of 7,500 lbs and 750 lbs tongue weight. My point is that with a weight-distribution hitch the Curt hitch is capable of towing an equal amount as the OEM hitch at a lower cost. I would always use a weight-distribution hitch beyond 3500 lbs. to ensure good stability so the curt hitch works for my applications. I think the trailer hitch classification is screwed up all over. Also, Draw-Tite has similar information on the class III ratings as the Curt website - 6,000 lbs and 10,000 lbs weight distribution hitch.

Last edited:

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Good afternoon all:
I have the factory installed tow package on my XLT FX4. My understanding is that the factory tow package includes a Class IV hitch and should have the wires in place for the brake controller. That controller is my next adventure.

My only recommendation to the OP is that for the difference in price you'd be as far ahead to have too much capacity in your hitch then too little. Even if you don't use a Class IV ever, it means the receiver's capabilities exceed those of the truck and so you don't have to keep two numbers in your head. You just know the max tow rating for your truck. 7500 lbs and 750 lbs on the tongue. It also means in the off chance that you ever do have to move something big, you know you can.

Safe travels!

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I made the same mistake. I have the trailer sway button but thought I had the tow package. If you buy the hitch and wiring harness you can add it in, I'm considering going to the dealer and having them do it just incase. I wanted to put on the weathertech bumper step.
I think what you are referring to is the tow/haul button which changes shift points

The trailer sway function is in the settings on the screen
Sponsored