Help with removing dealership wax

19JPK90

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I have had my Ranger for about a week now. The dealership “detailed” it when I bought it, but we all know their efforts are less than impressive given the fact that it gets detailed in an hours time.

I have been researching good sealants and spray waxes to give it the protection, and look, that I am going for going into the winter months. My biggest obstacle is that I still have whatever junk the dealership used on my paint and want to remove it so that the new products adhere properly. I looked into the washes that are said to remove wax, but none of them appear to live up to their word (according to youtube). I want to avoid polishing because the truck is so new I don’t think it needs it. I read about using Dawn and how there are many opinions about that (I prefer not to use Dawn).

So, what is the best way to remove the wax that the dealership put on without polishing?

I apologize if there is already a thread like this, I did my best with the search feature and couldn’t find what I was looking for.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I had the same. The dealer added some crap paint sealant/protectant to mine as part of their "dealer package'. I used Optimum Paint Prep which will take off any wax and sealant and get it ready for whatever you want to apply whether it's a ceramic coating or spray wax. Just wash and dry and spray this on and wipe off with a microfiber cloth and you're ready to go.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Paint-Prep-P1085/17-oz-S1/

IMG_2800.jpg

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
I use dawn to strip any wax ect. Then depending what I am doing such as a ceramic coat or polishing followed by P&S beadmaker I will use a 50/50 mix of water and alcahol in a spray bottle. Use plenty of microfiber towels since the wax,compound or polish you are removing will end up on towel. I use a towel a panel. Can never have enough microfiber towels.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Dawn dish soap does a good job at stripping off all waxes.
if it’s a true ceramic coat, it will need to be polished off
Dawn dish soap treats wax like its grease so yes it works. It’s awesome for killing fleas on dogs also.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Good wiper fluid, like Motorcraft or 303 tablets, dissolve and strip wax. (Fluid like RainX crap shouldn't be in washer fluid.) Haven't heard of using that to wash a whole car with though. I think ammonia based cleaners strip wax too.

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
Dawn dish soap or Jay Leno's garage clean strip car wash.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Clay bar will remove all wax and any other contaminants. They are very easy to use

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
It's paint and clearcoat, not a holy relic. Dawn and/or a clay bar will be fine.
On my old Sport Trac I got so pissed off at all the road tar on the sides that I wiped the whole thing down with acetone. It took off the 4x4 decals on the bed but didn't hurt the paint a bit.
I wax because I like to, not because I have to. Clay bar maybe twice a year. A few beers and a quality cigar like a Rocky Patel, La Gloria Cubana Serie R, or NUB and I'm in my element and happy all day. A couple of good sticks and some alcohol and pretty soon you're cleaning the engine with Q-tips and enjoying it.
I use either Mother's paste or Meguier's Gold Class, wash it with whatever car wash is on sale, and dry it with a California Water Blade. My vehicles will bead water for at least 6 months and where I live the winters are horrible.
If I have a show I use some hard-to-find locally-made stuff called Rivstar Show Car Glaze, it's straight liquid carnuba, doesn't last real long but the gloss is incredible.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
It's paint and clearcoat, not a holy relic. Dawn and/or a clay bar will be fine.
On my old Sport Trac I got so pissed off at all the road tar on the sides that I wiped the whole thing down with acetone. It took off the 4x4 decals on the bed but didn't hurt the paint a bit.
I wax because I like to, not because I have to. Clay bar maybe twice a year. A few beers and a quality cigar like a Rocky Patel, La Gloria Cubana Serie R, or NUB and I'm in my element and happy all day. A couple of good sticks and some alcohol and pretty soon you're cleaning the engine with Q-tips and enjoying it.
I use either Mother's paste or Meguier's Gold Class, wash it with whatever car wash is on sale, and dry it with a California Water Blade. My vehicles will bead water for at least 6 months and where I live the winters are horrible.
If I have a show I use some hard-to-find locally-made stuff called Rivstar Show Car Glaze, it's straight liquid carnuba, doesn't last real long but the gloss is incredible.
Now you have my interest with the cigars! Good choices by the way. Gotta throw in a joyo de monterrey
Sponsored