First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My brains in overload trying to read all these past threads so I apologize if this has been asked a million times before. :)

It looks like some have rubbing issues where others with the same tires do not. I don't want to get into cutting or adding new crash bars and don't tow or do really aggressive wheeling but want something better than these stock tires. For now I'm going to keep my stock Sport Wheels and want to add a 3" leveling kit,most likely from Ford Ranger Lifts unless someone has a better suggestion. As far as tires go I'm leaning towards the Ridge Grapplers 265/70R/17 https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/nitto/ridge-grappler/p/TV154000829#reviews

They're not LT but for what I'm using them for will these be good? I've had many F150's but never did anything to them so I'm at a loss for which tires to go with.

They
don't have a 275 and as much as I like the looks of the 285's I think they might be a bit overkill for what I want right now. Looking to still keep a smooth ride (which these seem to do) and not have rubbing issues or totally kill mpg's.

So can anyone here that has a similar set up with your stock wheels and leveling kit chime in that this is a good selection or make a few recommendations.

Sponsored

Last edited:

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Hi AzScorpion,

I can't vouch for suggestions on a leveling kit, but I'm running a Daystar 2 inch kit and satisfied with it. I regards to tires, I have stock 18" wheels on my FX4 with 275/65R18 tires (just over 32 inches in diameter). I imagine with the tires you are looking at being around 31.5" in diameter, you should be in the clear. I think I've seen posts from members here running that size, without a leveling kit.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi AzScorpion,

I can't vouch for suggestions on a leveling kit, but I'm running a Daystar 2 inch kit and satisfied with it. I regards to tires, I have stock 18" wheels on my FX4 with 275/65R18 tires (just over 32 inches in diameter). I imagine with the tires you are looking at being around 31.5" in diameter, you should be in the clear. I think I've seen posts from members here running that size, without a leveling kit.

That's the consensus I came up with too. I'm not dead set on that comb but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything or if anyone had a better suggestion as far as a tire/level kit with the stock wheels. Thank You!

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
You're welcome. If you do go for the leveling kit, make sure you schedule an alignment like the day of or after you install it (if that's your main or only rig). The from end was waaaay out on mine but my dealer was able to get it back to perfect spec and was able to shoot me in on almost a walk in basis.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I don’t have any experience with it yet for this truck, but if it counts for anything I’ve been doing some research too. My plans are pretty much the same as yours, I’m thinking of going with a 2.5” or 3” level along with either 265/70R17 or 285/60R18 tire depending on which wheel I pick.

I’ve been paying close attention to wheel and tire weights, trying to keep close to the factory weight to minimize mpg loss while still having a little more aggressive look!

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don’t have any experience with it yet for this truck, but if it counts for anything I’ve been doing some research too. My plans are pretty much the same as yours, I’m thinking of going with a 2.5” or 3” level along with either 265/70R17 or 285/60R18 tire depending on which wheel I pick.

I’ve been paying close attention to wheel and tire weights, trying to keep close to the factory weight to minimize mpg loss while still having a little more aggressive look!
This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve too. Only problem now is every time I see the posts/pictures from those who have put on the 285/70/17 I really love that look! lol The tires are not that much more going up in size but my main concern is not totally killing my mpg's. While most of my work is close by, the Phoenix area is very spread out and with only an 18 gallon tank I'd hate to lose to much going that much bigger. I know the safe route will be to just go with the 265/70R/17 which is what I'm leaning to do.

My choices now are either the Ridge Grapplers or the KO2's but open to other suggestions too. Main concern is durability and quiet along with mpg. Any pros/cons with either of them or are they both a comparable tire and just personal preference? TIA!!

Last edited:

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
if your main concern in MPG over anything else. then go closer to stock specs. Do you really need bigger tires and a level? Or just want it cause it looks good? If you want middle grounds. instead of a 3" level kit. how about a 2" with stock or 275 tires? just about any AT tire will be fairly quiet on road as they all have fairly good reviews when it comes torward road noise. if you decide on 2.5 level i happen to have the 2.5" BDS kit FS since I decided not to use it.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve too. Only problem now is every time I see the posts/pictures from those who have put on the 285/70/17 I really love that look! lol The tires are not that much more going up in size but my main concern is not totally killing my mpg's. While most of my work is close by, the Phoenix area is very spread out and with only an 18 gallon tank I'd hate to lose to much going that much bigger. I know the safe route will be to just go with the 265/70R/17 which is what I'm leaning to do.

My choices now are either the Ridge Grapplers or the KO2's but open to other suggestions too. Main concern is durability and quiet along with mpg. Any pros/cons with either of them or are they both a comparable tire and just personal preference? TIA!!

The KO2’s are pretty heavy. I’m looking at the Toyo Open Country. My father-in-law has them on his Taco and really likes them!

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
The KO2’s are pretty heavy. I’m looking at the Toyo Open Country. My father-in-law has them on his Taco and really likes them!
the KO2s in 275/70/17 are 56 lbs. weighed mine before I mounted them to compare to stock.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the KO2s in 275/70/17 are 56 lbs. weighed mine before I mounted them to compare to stock.
They are most definitely heavier then. The Toyo in a bigger LT285/70R17 is 53lbs or the P285/70R17 is 46lbs. I have no idea at what point it would be noticeable, but multiplied by four I would think 40lbs of additional unsprung weight would have to affect fuel mileage.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
They are most definitely heavier then. The Toyo in a bigger LT285/70R17 is 53lbs or the P285/70R17 is 46lbs. I have no idea at what point it would be noticeable, but multiplied by four I would think 40lbs of additional unsprung weight would have to affect fuel mileage.
it probably comes down to the manufacturing processes. I know KO2's are advertised as having a 20% stronger side wall than the originals. But it all comes down to what you plan on using your vehicle for. DD, offroad or both. if you never plan on going off road; or once in a while. the Dyna pros will do just fine w/o sacrificing ride or fuel mileage.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
if your main concern in MPG over anything else. then go closer to stock specs. Do you really need bigger tires and a level? Or just want it cause it looks good? If you want middle grounds. instead of a 3" level kit. how about a 2" with stock or 275 tires? just about any AT tire will be fairly quiet on road as they all have fairly good reviews when it comes torward road noise. if you decide on 2.5 level i happen to have the 2.5" BDS kit FS since I decided not to use it.

Thanks for the info! I don't do any heavy off roading,towing or heavy loads so the AT's will work fine for me,just wanted to clarify there wasn't something else I was missing. Do I really need bigger tires...no lol but I do like the way they look and fill out the well on other Rangers.

My problem is I have a few to many expensive hobbies already so I'm just trying to find a good middle ground which I think will be the 265/70R/17's. I'll let you know on the level kit when I decide what I'm doing there. What did you end up using instead of the 2.5" kit?

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Just a 2" leveling kit with the OEM 31's is pretty livable in my opinion. Definitely the cheaper of the 2 steps you are trying to convince yourself on. IF you have to satisfy the itch (which I can relate to), I would follow through with the leveling kit first. It will allow you to fit a larger tire, down the road, if you are wanting to progress further after leveling.

This is my truck with the OE 18" wheels and OE Hankook AT-M P265/60R18

f6ctmzY.jpg

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
My stock tires, LT265/65R17, are 30.5" and 44lbs. I've been considering the BFG KO2 in LT255/75R17 as they'd be a little over 32.1" and 45lbs. Another good option for me may be the Goodyear Duratrac in 255/75R17 which only weigh 40lbs.

Its .5" narrower which would help prevent clearance issues but 1.5" taller and similar weight. Also, I live in Northern Utah where we get a lot of snow and narrower tires are considered to be superior to wider tires in deep snow.

By going narrower it will help keep clearance from the fender as well. Any chance this will make it so I don't need a lift? I may add a small level up front but want to keep many of the stock characteristics as I already have a mountain truck (see avatar). Thoughts?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a 2" leveling kit with the OEM 31's is pretty livable in my opinion. Definitely the cheaper of the 2 steps you are trying to convince yourself on. IF you have to satisfy the itch (which I can relate to), I would follow through with the leveling kit first. It will allow you to fit a larger tire, down the road, if you are wanting to progress further after leveling.

This is my truck with the OE 18" wheels and OE Hankook AT-M P265/60R18

f6ctmzY.jpg
That looks great! I think you just made my decision for me. If it looks that good with the stock diameter I’ll just go with the 265/70R17 instead of 285/70R17.
Sponsored