HELP!!: My wife bought me Unrequested Ranger Parts - Need Installation Advice.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
The part in question is this: Nilight TR-04 Truck Tailgate Bar 60" Triple Row 504 LED Strip with Red Brake White Reverse Sequential Amber Turning Signals Strobe Lights,2 Years Warranty
1664032374587.png

It connects to the Ranger with a 4 pin trailer wire and a fifth loose wire for reverse lights.
1664032419240.png

Since when do 4 pin harnesses not have a reverse light? I always thought that was part of the deal?
A - Ground, B - Left (turn / brake), C - Right (turn/brake) and then D was reverse. Did something change when we went with all digital LED lights?

Any way.... Here's my quandary.

How do you install this thing? According to the instructions I plug it in to my trailer light harness and leave this unsightly plug hanging out there. Then I hack the reverse wire somewhere and put the extra fifth wire on it.
1. I do not want to put in a cool light bar and then have a towing pigtail poking out under my tailgate.
2. I do not want to have to hack into a wire for reverse. It defies and defeats the purpose of waterproof plugs.

Is there a better way to install what I have? I don't mind purchasing an adapter that goes behind the bumper and hooks into a wiring harness. That's how I added trailer lights to my 93 ranger back in the day. Walmart sold it for like $10. You unhooked a harness from the main and then this add in harness sat between the main line and the rear harness. Worked out BEEEEE-YOOOO-tifully.

Or a different option. I've got $45 sunk into this light. Getting an adapter to make it work is probably another $20 to $40. Is there a Sub-$100 light kit that is as good / better than this one that installs easier? If so I can return this and just get that one.
Sponsored

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
The part in question is this: Nilight TR-04 Truck Tailgate Bar 60" Triple Row 504 LED Strip with Red Brake White Reverse Sequential Amber Turning Signals Strobe Lights,2 Years Warranty
1664032374587.png

It connects to the Ranger with a 4 pin trailer wire and a fifth loose wire for reverse lights.
1664032419240.png

Since when do 4 pin harnesses not have a reverse light? I always thought that was part of the deal?
A - Ground, B - Left (turn / brake), C - Right (turn/brake) and then D was reverse. Did something change when we went with all digital LED lights?

How do you install this thing? According to the instructions I plug it in to my trailer light harness and leave this unsightly plug hanging out there. Then I hack the reverse wire somewhere and put the extra fifth wire on it.
1. I do not want to put in a cool light bar and then have a towing pigtail poking out under my tailgate.
2. I do not want to have to hack into a wire for reverse. It defies and defeats the purpose of waterproof plugs.

Is there a better way to install what I have? I don't mind purchasing an adapter that goes behind the bumper and hooks into a wiring harness. That's how I added trailer lights to my 93 ranger back in the day. Walmart sold it for like $10. You unhooked a harness from the main and then this add in harness sat between the main line and the rear harness. Worked out BEEEEE-YOOOO-tifully.

Or a different option. I've got $45 sunk into this light. Getting an adapter to make it work is probably another $20 to $40. Is there a Sub-$100 light kit that is as good / better than this one that installs easier? If so I can return this and just get that one.
I don’t know how invasive it would be but I suppose you could tap all the wires into their respective wires on the truck like the reverse wire. I wouldn’t want that plugged into the 4pin trailer connection all the time either. Plus I’ve read that mods plugs into the 4pin will cause the trailer blind spot settings to pop up every time. Not sure if that can be disabled

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I'd wire that reverse light with a switch in the cab for those tailgaters. I'm sure that would make them back off real quick at night.

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
I'd wire that reverse light with a switch in the cab for those tailgaters. I'm sure that would make them back off real quick at night.
Or blind them and they plow into your rear.

JimJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FX4. Level2. 2022 SC FX4 on order
Occupation
Retired
1664032374587.png

1664032419240.png

Flat 4 never had reverse lights, flat 5 do have reverse as the reverse signal also opens a solenoid on the trailer so you can back up if you have surge brakes.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I believe 60 inch to long for the Ranger.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Word of warning here. The way our system is setup if you use the plug for towing connections your truck is going to think a trailer is attached (increased resistance load) this will be true if you splice it in as well. Can also cause hyper blink for the same reasons. The only way for this not to happen is to use special relays (opto electric) to keep this from happening.

There are other threads on here that cover this in more detail and other users experiences

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Explain to your wife your truly appreciate the great gift but it will be difficult to install on the Ranger so you will be happy to return it and get something you want. Then duck! :idea:

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I agree with pretty much all the replies including the ducking part. Putting tailgate light bars on our trucks is PIA.

Yes our tailgate is I believe only 54 inches long. Also many people have found the clearance when the tailgate is open hits the bar.

Now wiring is a whole nother can of worms. Especially if you have the tow package, LED tailights with BLIS, and rear parking sensors. Plugging anything into the trailer connector will tell the truck a trailer is connected and disable the rear parking sensors and cross-traffic sensing and will mess with the BLIS settings. People have had issues with using a lighted hitch cover.

I believe the only way some people have gotten it to work is by using a 5 to 4 trailer light isolation module spliced into the taillights.

I see some trucks with them and think they are kind of cool. Then I remember it's way to much work for a couple of lights

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Here’s a suggestion: use a couple of alligator clips and connect to your 4 pin socket and see how things behave. I have the TOW PKG which gives me the seven pin. I used this method to see what happened when I connected some LED fog lights to use for extra reverse lighting. I had no issues so I tapped into the reverse wire and things are slicker than a 303 polished @AzScorpion damper ?

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
CONFIRMED - I plugged it in and Truck thinks it has a trailer.
Shipping it back. That's a deal breaker right there.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Here’s a suggestion: use a couple of alligator clips and connect to your 4 pin socket and see how things behave. I have the TOW PKG which gives me the seven pin. I used this method to see what happened when I connected some LED fog lights to use for extra reverse lighting. I had no issues so I tapped into the reverse wire and things are slicker than a 303 polished @AzScorpion damper ?
That may work if only tieing in reverse lights. I think it uses the brake light circuit to sense the trailer. I usually need to tap my brakes to get it to sense my trailer, turns may do it too, haven't tried that. They are the same filement on the trailer.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
CONFIRMED - I plugged it in and Truck thinks it has a trailer.
Shipping it back. That's a deal breaker right there.
At least she tried. Sounds like you have a great wife!:)
Sponsored