First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
When I lived in Royal Palm Beach in Florida I hit the Sunoco on SR 7 between Okeechobee and Southern Boulevard. Discount on a brushless carwash with a fill-up too.

Not all Sunocos carry it (special blender pump?) and lately I'm all over central Georgia and have yet to find it. Can everyone share the stations they find selling this wonderful elixir??
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Going to depend on the state and the gas station company. Here in Colorado I have seen E85 and E15. Nothing inbetween. That said we also have Ethanol free 87 at certain gas stations!!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
When I lived in Royal Palm Beach in Florida I hit the Sunoco on SR 7 between Okeechobee and Southern Boulevard. Discount on a brushless carwash with a fill-up too.

Not all Sunocos carry it (special blender pump?) and lately I'm all over central Georgia and have yet to find it. Can everyone share the stations they find selling this wonderful elixir??
Not sure why you would call it a "wonderful elixir" anything higher than E15 can only be used in flex fuel vehicles safely, the Ranger is not. I suppose you could have a custom tune that would richen up the mixture to make E30 safe to run but then you would be overly rich if you put E10 or E0 in it.

I live in Massachusetts and the only gasoline available since the 90s is E10 unless you found a place pumping race fuel.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
E30 kicks ass: https://dakotafreepress.com/2021/03...-vehicles-run-on-30-ethanol-with-no-problems/

https://sdfu.org/e30-safe-for-non-f...ns-according-to-university-of-nebraska-study/

Shattering the EPA’s biggest illegal lie: “Its illegal to fuel non-flex fuel vehicles with lower cost, more power ethanol’s premium blend E30.”

https://energy.agwired.com/2015/11/04/all-auto-owners-can-choose-premium-e30/

And: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016236121015106?via=ihub

Highlights

•Non-flex fuel vehicles can adapt to 30% ethanol-blended (E30) gasoline.
•Engine performance is not compromised by E30 consumption.
•Fuel efficiency of E30 is comparable to that of E15.
•Significant reduction in CO2 emissions can be achieved through nationwide adoption of E30.

Having used it frequently the fun quotient was much higher with 94 octane E30 in the turbo powered truck - and I 'only' have a midgrade tune. No codes. I suspect with the government push to keep ethanol in gas and potentially increase the percentages up from 10% manufacturers have been adding ethanol safe components to cars for some time.

Found here: https://www.tuneplusinc.com/pages/faq

The biggest benefit of E30 is that you can run more spark, that is where most of the power comes from. If you have a stock intercooler the charge air temps reduce spark timing to prevent knock. Though the chances of getting knock on an E30 tune is low we still prefer to make the most out of the tune without any handicaps.

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
ive seen e85 and e15 at a few places but it is not real common near me. id guess with the big push for everyone to get an EV the other combustion fuels will not gain much popularity .

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You really need to test the pumps you use for ethanol content. I run E85 and E50 in some of the cars/SxS' I have and I just recently filled up all my jugs for a SxS trip, and the E85 tested around E65. I mix it to get E50, so it's not a big deal, but if you're not using the same station and checking every now and again, you really don't know what you're getting.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
You really need to test the pumps you use for ethanol content. I run E85 and E50 in some of the cars/SxS' I have and I just recently filled up all my jugs for a SxS trip, and the E85 tested around E65. I mix it to get E50, so it's not a big deal, but if you're not using the same station and checking every now and again, you really don't know what you're getting.
I guess if I'm going to mix it up myself I'd be conservative about guessing and it would never be accurate. I'd rather have 90+ octane effectively but not risk excessive ethanol in case of tuning issues and damage.

The American Coalition for Ethanol maintains a map but honestly I don't know how accurate, up to date or thorough it is. Likewise the government's Alternative Fuels Data Center. I had some app that was supposed to help locate stations but it was user data driven and didn't provide me any results I could use so I deleted it. A calculator would be risky to develop since actual variances and user input might be risky. E30 integrates so well and unlike 88 (octane) fuel at 15% you get that 94 octane oomph ? that 93 octane 10% can't match in a turbo'd car.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You can always do an ethanol sensor or monitor fuel trims, but testing is the way to go. No guesswork. You can also get an average on a certain station and go with that.

PXL_20230323_234559334.jpg

djsilver

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Turbo's like Ethanol because of it's resistance to detonation. It has ~30% less energy than gasoline, but you can boost the bejesus out of it and more than make up the difference. I've tried some ethanol free 89 Octane and it feels a little perkier off boost, but closed loop operation evens everything out with fuel trim. I'm running the stock tune. It's got a chunk more HP/TQ than the 4.7 V8 in my old Dakota, so I'm happy with it as it is.

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
Not sure why you would call it a "wonderful elixir" anything higher than E15 can only be used in flex fuel vehicles safely, the Ranger is not. I suppose you could have a custom tune that would richen up the mixture to make E30 safe to run but then you would be overly rich if you put E10 or E0 in it.

I live in Massachusetts and the only gasoline available since the 90s is E10 unless you found a place pumping race fuel.
I have a JB4 running E30 on my 2022 For Ranger. It is a beast. Don't go any higher unless you have the parts to run it. But E30 work if you Have a JB4 or Ecu tune for it.

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
True True. My local E85 pump spec'd out at E72. E85 will spec from 51%-83% ETh. Higher in the summer months. A standard E85 calculator will keep you under. E tunes have some ranging. But, no no for those FlexFuel 94 pumps. The Injectors and pumps are not rated to over 30% Ethanol. Though I've seen some that have run straight E85 on here with stock Pump. You don't want to risk it. TEST TEST TEST.

The safe way is 91+ Premium and E85 blending. Just make sure to test it first.
Sponsored