Has your salesman tried to charge you 2x for shipping and delivery?

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
This has happened with the last two cars we bought. The MSRP has S&D built in. When going over the numbers the salesman added it in addition to the MSRP. Ooops! Both times I calmly pointed it out, the salesman takes the piece of paper to his manager, then comes back and say "oh yeah sorry". Is this a common tactic? Coincidence? Could the deal ever go through? This was with two different dealers and car companies.

Kevin
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This has happened with the last two cars we bought. The MSRP has S&D built in. When going over the numbers the salesman added it in addition to the MSRP. Ooops! Both times I calmly pointed it out, the salesman takes the piece of paper to his manager, then comes back and say "oh yeah sorry". Is this a common tactic? Coincidence? Could the deal ever go through? This was with two different dealers and car companies.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Good catch! It is spelled out on the Monroney Label as a separate line. This tactic sucks and to have to go to the "Manager"...what a crock.... I really love my Z plan as the cards are all face up and they cannot pull this stunt.... Dealer I bought my 2016 MKX from dickered over dealer added tint. I told them to shove it...They said okay...so shoved and we got up...walked towards the door....Salesman ran behind and said...Okay, Okay please sit back down and I will ask the "manager". I told him "screw the Manager" and the salesman dropped the ridiculous $750 dealer add on. So much for having to go to the manager. I now use a dealer 40 miles away...honest as the Green Valley Dealer is less than honest in my opinion...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

OP
OP
Kevreh

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Hi Kevin,

Good catch! It is spelled out on the Monroney Label as a separate line. This tactic sucks and to have to go to the "Manager"...what a crock.... I really love my Z plan as the cards are all face up and they cannot pull this stunt.... Dealer I bought my 2016 MKX from dickered over dealer added tint. I told them to shove it...They said okay...so shoved and we got up...walked towards the door....Salesman ran behind and said...Okay, Okay please sit back down and I will ask the "manager". I told him "screw the Manager" and the salesman dropped the ridiculous $750 dealer add on. So much for having to go to the manager. I now use a dealer 40 miles away...honest as the Green Valley Dealer is less than honest in my opinion...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Gotta love dealer add ons. Remember when they would get you for pinstriping? It was a few hundred. :oops:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta love dealer add ons. Remember when they would get you for pinstriping? It was a few hundred. :oops:
Hi Kevin,

Back story....at Kansas City Assembly....big plant...F series on one side....Mavericks on the other side. We were killing time and decided to walk the Maverick final like...here were two fellows on the line. They did pinstriping... There was a huge fixture on a overhead balance on each side that the worker brought down and attached to the side of the vehicle with suction cups a large fixture. The workers had paint pens mounted on a 45° angle on a aluminum block...must have been 15 different colors The worker then chose the proper color as called out, rubbed the tip on a special saturated clothe and then slid this pen over the flat part of the fixture. Then the operator flipped a lever and the fixture dropped a fraction of an inch down. At each end was a flexible part of the flat surface and the operator flipped this lever up on the back, started the pen again and let go...then the double pin strip started to appear and at the front the operator then flipped the lever at the front up to join the top pin stripe. Time it took to pinstripe the side...some 15 seconds! Charge for the pinstripe? Maybe $200.... IDK.... Part of the appearance package. Amazing to me...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department

Kevin
An unscrupulous Chevy dealer tried that on my nephew, I tagged along with him at my sister's request as he shopped for a 2019 Silverado.
We sat down to negotiate a price, true to most dealership form there was a "phony Monroeney" which listed an additional shipping and handling charge. I pointed out why the fee, he got sarcastic and quipped "do you think the truck swam here". I stood up and asked him to follow so we could review the factory sticker, plain as day this charge was listed.
We promptly left there, after I told the salesman what he could do with the truck and for him to be creative.

OP
OP
Kevreh

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
An unscrupulous Chevy dealer tried that on my nephew, I tagged along with him at my sister's request as he shopped for a 2019 Silverado.
We sat down to negotiate a price, true to most dealership form there was a "phony Monroeney" which listed an additional shipping and handling charge. I pointed out why the fee, he got sarcastic and quipped "do you think the truck swam here". I stood up and asked him to follow so we could review the factory sticker, plain as day this charge was listed.
We promptly left there, after I told the salesman what he could do with the truck and for him to be creative.
Good you didnt give them your business, just a shame they wasted your time with such a silly trick.

Open question....legally, can dealerships get away with this if someone doesn't catch it? Aren't there laws saying you cant be charged twice or something?

OP
OP
Kevreh

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Hi Kevin,

Back story....at Kansas City Assembly....big plant...F series on one side....Mavericks on the other side. We were killing time and decided to walk the Maverick final like...here were two fellows on the line. They did pinstriping... There was a huge fixture on a overhead balance on each side that the worker brought down and attached to the side of the vehicle with suction cups a large fixture. The workers had paint pens mounted on a 45° angle on a aluminum block...must have been 15 different colors The worker then chose the proper color as called out, rubbed the tip on a special saturated clothe and then slid this pen over the flat part of the fixture. Then the operator flipped a lever and the fixture dropped a fraction of an inch down. At each end was a flexible part of the flat surface and the operator flipped this lever up on the back, started the pen again and let go...then the double pin strip started to appear and at the front the operator then flipped the lever at the front up to join the top pin stripe. Time it took to pinstripe the side...some 15 seconds! Charge for the pinstripe? Maybe $200.... IDK.... Part of the appearance package. Amazing to me...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I appreciate your insights and interesting takes Phil. Did you use to work at the St. Paul plant? Didn't they make Rangers there? You mentioned Kansas City, but thought you may have been in St Paul at some point.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4

Kevin
This is known as a the “double-dip” by Kevin Hunter (a.k.a. The Homework Guy on YouTube), and it is common. For anybody buying a car, I would recommend watching Kevin’s videos on his YouTube channel. He is really knowledgeable on how the dealerships sales department works.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good you didnt give them your business, just a shame they wasted your time with such a silly trick.

Open question....legally, can dealerships get away with this if someone doesn't catch it? Aren't there laws saying you cant be charged twice or something?
I'm sure there is some sort of State regulatory department which would oversee this, check with your local government.
When I special ordered my 2020 Lariat back in Aug. 2019 I used Ford's X-Plan pricing program. I made it very clear to the salesperson that if they were to slap a "Phony Monroney" on it that the deal was off, no questions asked. A stipulation that FoMoCo requires of the selling dealer in using the X-Plan is that they MUST disclose any and all additional fees, options,equipment, etc. not shown on the factory sticker.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate your insights and interesting takes Phil. Did you use to work at the St. Paul plant? Didn't they make Rangers there? You mentioned Kansas City, but thought you may have been in St Paul at some point.
Hi Kevin,

I was out of the Dearborn Michigan Engineering Research complex and spent many times each of the last 5 years of my career at the two Ranger plants. Twin Cities Assembly and Edison New Jersey. Both plants now closed and gone....leveled to the ground....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Kevin,

I was out of the Dearborn Michigan Engineering Research complex and spent many times each of the last 5 years of my career at the two Ranger plants. Twin Cities Assembly and Edison New Jersey. Both plants now closed and gone....leveled to the ground....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Both my F-series were built at Twin-Cities, an '81 XLT 4x4 Flareside with a 351 "Mary" and a '86 Lariat 4x4 Styleside short bed with a 351W/4V. The '81 sure was a dog and lived up to its nickname "Mary"...lol

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is known as a the “double-dip” by Kevin Hunter (a.k.a. The Homework Guy on YouTube), and it is common. For anybody buying a car, I would recommend watching Kevin’s videos on his YouTube channel. He is really knowledgeable on how the dealerships sales department works.
Indeed, he is very knowledgeable, another 'Tube channel I used to watch was "Earl Stewart on Cars", also very informative.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Indeed, he is very knowledgeable, another 'Tube channel I used to watch was "Earl Stewart on Cars", also very informative.
Thanks, I will check out "Earl Stewart on Cars".
Sponsored