• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Has anyone heard if 2024 Ranger will have a manual transmission option?

pete franzoni

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW Golf stick
Occupation
retired
There is a stick option on the 2 door (too small for me) and 4 door Bronco. I like the higher seating position of a pickup, but I need a stick. Thanks.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Scab - Shadow Black
It depends on who you choose to believe - rumours are it will have a Coyote with a six speed manual, or a PHEV, or full EV, or a 2.7 ecoboost, or a 3.2 diesel, etc., etc., etc.

Basically, no one knows what will be offered at this point. There’s a lot of speculation but I doubt even Farley knows. 😃

OP
OP

pete franzoni

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW Golf stick
Occupation
retired
Thanks. I thought they would roughly replicate what is available on the Broncos: 2.7 ecoboost and a 7 speed.

jezzza

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor RA
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Looking at other markets, I'd say slim to zero chance of manual transmission on any new Rangers.

wolfhawk73

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
I was hoping that the MT stoppage on the Bronco meant they're stocking up on MTs for both. Wishful thinking.

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I was hoping that the MT stoppage on the Bronco meant they're stocking up on MTs for both. Wishful thinking.
FWIW, manufacturers don't actually stock up on physical items like transmissions on site at factories in advance to support ordered builds. The majority use an inventory management system that relies on vendors to deliver ordered parts, components, assemblies, etc. Shortly before and even during the scheduled production run.

wolfhawk73

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
FWIW, manufacturers don't actually stock up on physical items like transmissions on site at factories in advance to support ordered builds. The majority use an inventory management system that relies on vendors to deliver ordered parts, components, assemblies, etc. Shortly before and even during the scheduled production run.
Yep. I work in manufacturing and know the concept (JIT), but Ford has been doing things lately that don't make sense, so it was just wishful thinking on my part. 🤣

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Last edited:

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yep. I work in manufacturing and know the concept (JIT), but Ford has been doing things lately that don't make sense, so it was just wishful thinking on my part. 🤣
I was 1st exposed to JIT in 1984 working at Hughes Aircraft in SoCal. Every industry was trying to copy success of Japanese car brands following Deming quality principles. We had weekly department "Quality Circles" where we wasted an hour brainstorming suggestions how to improve processes used in our testing every day. Nothing ever came out of it as most the suggestions had to do with training testers, and back then they were mostly non-technical who were Union and got their foot in the door in a job like 3rd shift janitor or stockroom and eventually applied their way up to "technicians" by seniority. Unfortunately for the company, these people were only able to learn 1 specific job and had to be personally trained and supervised by a SR person who had already mastered the work station. It came down to them memorizing a sequence of button pushes, knob turns and flipping switches in sequence and recording pass/fail results. They were lost on their own and could not rotate on multiple stations on their own to cover vacations, etc. :frown:

Anyways, the JIT was failing miserably as suppliers and vendors were never held accountable for missed deadlines. We came to know it as NIT (NEVER in Time) and I worked at many companies large and small and always same problems. Over the decades people tried to improve JIT and offshoots were all grouped under the new general banner of "lean manufacturing". Ah, the good ole days! :crazy:

Sponsored

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I was 1st exposed to JIT in 1984 working at Hughes Aircraft in SoCal. Every industry was trying to copy success of Japanese car brands following Deming quality principles. We had weekly department "Quality Circles" where we wasted an hour brainstorming suggestions how to improve processes used in our testing every day. Nothing ever came out of it as most the suggestions had to do with training testers, and back then they were mostly non-technical who were Union and got their foot in the door in a job like 3rd shift janitor or stockroom and eventually applied their way up to "technicians" by seniority. Unfortunately for the company, these people were only able to learn 1 specific job and had to be personally trained and supervised by a SR person who had already mastered the work station. It came down to them memorizing a sequence of button pushes, knob turns and flipping switches in sequence and recording pass/fail results. They were lost on their own and could not rotate on multiple stations on their own to cover vacations, etc. :frown:

Anyways, the JIT was failing miserably as suppliers and vendors were never held accountable for missed deadlines. We came to know it as NIT (NEVER in Time) and I worked at many companies large and small and always same problems. Over the decades people tried to improve JIT and offshoots were all grouped under the new general banner of "lean manufacturing". Ah, the good ole days! :crazy:
That must’ve been quite the experience! Working in supply chain I’ve always thought manufacturing would be an interesting industry to be in where you really make your money off of it! Instead of just being an input to carry on business. We don’t make anything in my part of the world though & to pursue it would mean either moving down east for higher cost of living & lower wages, or moving south where I’m blocked from most opportunities needing a visa. Sounds like manufacturing even in the decades since is still even more of a challenge than you see as a consumer.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Yep, JIT or just in time inventory. Covid showed that this system is fragile. The Toyota way….they can shove it up their Kanban. Add a broken supply chain, poorly operated ports, and you get the current state of the automotive manufacturing system. Lean to the bone because the meat has all been cut. Obviously I have lived it and not a fan.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
lol @ JIT. Everybody raise your hand that ever had to endure company mandated TQM training? That's a week I'll never get back!

I'll go 1 worse: ISO training and annual compliance inspections that brings everything to a halt preparing. And not just ISO 9001/2 for manufacturing. My last job before retiring was engineering in Nokia San Diego R&D center. We had a separate EMC group within the campus I was part of- but ultimately took orders from home office in Finland. After a decade being an R&D test lab testing phones for FCC, EU, China, etc. compliance before they could be approved for production, somebody got the bright idea we could become a globally Certified test lab on top of R&D that would allow in-house certification and save money and time from sending off samples for testing and paying for it. Also, bring in outside certification work for more revenue.

Qued up a yearlong creation process with strict standards compliance and enforcement mechanisms for ISO Test lab certification that stressed us immensely and almost made me retire. It was a great feat to actually do it and I stayed on. Then they sold our division to Microsoft and 2 years later I had enough and retired on my terms ;)

Pac987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
There is a stick option on the 2 door (too small for me) and 4 door Bronco. I like the higher seating position of a pickup, but I need a stick. Thanks.
I think the bronco will have a higher seating position than the ranger.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
hmmm, Bronco and Ranger are both riding on same T6 platform, but hard to make universal across the board prediction. Need to consider suspension, lifts, wheel size, etc. just at platform level, then add in seats for all the variants on both lines. Could be a quite a matrix there.
Sponsored