First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
I know there are a few of us on the board.

FB_IMG_1684971108623.jpg
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
And a Happy AMT Day to you !!!! (yup I know what it is)....have this weird calander with all the holidays on it.
Also National Asparagus Day
National Escargot Day
Independence Day in Eritrea
National Brothers Day
National Drinking With Chickens Day (I kid you not )

And on this date in 1950 I was 168 days old !!! :giggle:

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
an asparagus, a snail, and a drunk chicken are working on a plane...
Along with the chicken's brother (both lay'd at the same time) after escaping from Eritrea where they were both going to be the "dinner of honor" ....

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Along with the chicken's brother (both lay'd at the same time) after escaping from Eritrea where they were both going to be the "dinner of honor" ....
I think that was a plot from a hallmark movie

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
After trying to tie George Kennedy, cigars, and defunct airlines together, I had to look it up. AMT was the largest seller of model car kits in the 50's and 60's., but has nothing to do with May 24th.

Did you know that Charlie Taylor also built the motor for the Wright Bros plane? the Bros let bids, but they all came in high, so Charlie build one from scratch.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
After trying to tie George Kennedy, cigars, and defunct airlines together, I had to look it up. AMT was the largest seller of model car kits in the 50's and 60's., but has nothing to do with May 24th.

Did you know that Charlie Taylor also built the motor for the Wright Bros plane? the Bros let bids, but they all came in high, so Charlie build one from scratch.
AMT.......Airline Maintaince Technician

OP
OP
CF6-mech

CF6-mech

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
The award for 50 years in aviation maintenance is the Charles Taylor award. Though I got a very early start I have no desire to get 50 years. Currently working on year 38.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I was almost a sparkie.

Went to school for avionics as growing up in Wichita it seemed the industry to be in.

Never worked on a plane once after school but it opened a lot if doors for me.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The award for 50 years in aviation maintenance is the Charles Taylor award. Though I got a very early start I have no desire to get 50 years. Currently working on year 38.
Year 29 for me, only 2 layoffs after 9/11. Got a recall in 2010 and decided to pass, as it was not beneficial to relocate again, hopefully it will stay on the uptick from now on, as after many relocations to various cities around the world, (I spent a year doing overseas contract work - Loved It.) I decided that relocating for greener grass was no longer always better and have finally found the city and employer to spend my last days until retirement. (My Mountain Top)

So, for me it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride with the layoffs and chasing the job for better pay, but I still love the career.
If I had only listened to my dad years ago. Don't chase the money let it come to you, I would have arrived at that mountain top sooner.

Happy Belated AMT Day to all AMT's Worldwide.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I was almost a sparkie.

Went to school for avionics as growing up in Wichita it seemed the industry to be in.

Never worked on a plane once after school but it opened a lot if doors for me.
True, but in aviation those doors would also be open, as avionics experience is always a big plus on a resume and once you get a few years' experience under your belt, you would have no issues getting a job.

In a Base Maintenace environment they have a dedicated department for avionics, that is their only job function.

In a Line Maintenace environment, you do it all - Nose to Tail, Avionics, Flight Controls, Pneumatics, Hydraulics, Tire / Brake Changes and the occasional bird strike or lightning strike damage that needs evaluated and addressed with a structural repair.

I have worked both in my career but prefer and love working Line Maintenance

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
True, but in aviation those doors would also be open, as avionics experience is always a big plus on a resume and once you get a few years' experience under your belt, you would have no issues getting a job.

In a Base Maintenace environment they have a dedicated department for avionics, that is their only job function.

In a Line Maintenace environment, you do it all - Nose to Tail, Avionics, Flight Controls, Pneumatics, Hydraulics, Tire / Brake Changes and the occasional bird strike or lightning strike damage that needs evaluated and addressed with a structural repair.

I have worked both in my career but prefer and love working Line Maintenance
So like I said, I grew up in Wichita. Air Capital and all that, Raytheon/Lear, Cesna, Boeing, opportunities abounded. But as a 21 year old, working dead end jobs and partying all the tine that oppurtunity seemed so far away.

When I finally had enough I moved to Denver to go to school for Avionics. I graduated in late 2000. When I left school, I didn't want to go back and there were two opportunities to interview with. United who put all Avionics techs on the bench in San Fran at $12/hr until they could bid out, and an outfit out of Saudi Arabia that paid buku bucks on a contract. I had recently met my old lady so the foreign contract wasn't happening and I didn't want to move to San Fran for shit pay.

I took my chances, worked as component level Telco repair tech, APM Mechanic, and few other technical jobs. Had I hired on with United I'm pretty sure I would've been let go after 9/ll. A lot of my classmates were.

As it stands now, I'm good. Enjoying my semi-retirement as a supervisor of milkmen. However, I keep the mind sharp and have my FCC license w/ radar endorsement, so you never know.

That background is why I appreciate what you bring to the forum. The research and understanding you bring reminds me of the time I spent on school.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The majority of the techs who start with UAL, end up starting in SFO, what they do is pool together 5 to 6 techs in a small apartment and split the rent. They commute on their days off, graveyards are typically a norm in the industry a 4-10 hr. shift workweek, and once they have the chance to bid out (6-Months) they bail to a better cost of living city.
I commuted some in my career, and it was easier to do before 9/11, as you could jump seat if the flight was full, as long as there were no (Dead Heading) flight crew.
I had to jump seat quite a bit, some amazing views from the flight deck, that is one perk I miss.

When I commuted, I used a Crash Pad and shared it with 5 pilots who I rarely saw, for $225 mo, my room had 2 bunk beds, since I rarely saw any of the pilots, I got the room to myself and never had to sleep with a snoring pilot next to me, in fact it was a rare occasion to even have a pilot in the apartment at all while I was there, since I was a commuter I only used the apartment on work days, flew home then flew back for my work week to start.
It gets taxing on the body after you do it for a while, constant go mode, and when you are home you have that long honey do list, to get done before you go back.

I almost took a job with Frontier some years ago in Denver but turned it down. (Pay)
I will say that the pay is greatly increased over the last 7 years.
That starting wage in SFO is now around 35.00 hr I believe, and UAL's Top Out pay is around 62.00 hr.
Not bad, but for SFO still hard to make it doable.
Airlines now, once (1) ratifies a contract the others follow suit with pay raises of their own, generally a few dollars more than the airline that ratified the contract, and then the cycle repeats.
Not too much jumping ship anymore, techs tend to stay with one airline.
My first A&P Job was in 1994 @ $10.00 hr, but you always have to start somewhere and move up.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech