Had the Ranger for 1 week, two things I need some help

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1. How do you just turn on the truck to listen to the radio? I know - how stupid is this question. I currently sit in the truck and push the start button once and I don't think this is the accessory only mode as the little engine light is on on the dash and I get a warning after a short period of time to start the Ranger or bad things will happen. If I push the start button a second time it appears to be in accessory mode. To me this is backwards. What am I doing wrong?
2. Auto Start. It seems to come on really early. If I am pulling into my garage and stop the Ranger, the engine shuts off. I then have to restart the Ranger to move the transmission into park. This doesn't seem to b right. Thoughts?

Other than that, I have already hauled trees, leaves, tables, etc... Towed a trailer a couple of times and it was like here was nothing back there. GAs mileage I hope improves as the mostly highway driving only shoed 16 mpg.

Thanks -

Mark
Sponsored

DentonB

First Name
Denton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2019 Ram 4x4 Cummins), 2015 Audi A3 convertible
1. How do you just turn on the truck to listen to the radio? I know - how stupid is this question. I currently sit in the truck and push the start button once and I don't think this is the accessory only mode as the little engine light is on on the dash and I get a warning after a short period of time to start the Ranger or bad things will happen. If I push the start button a second time it appears to be in accessory mode. To me this is backwards. What am I doing wrong?
2. Auto Start. It seems to come on really early. If I am pulling into my garage and stop the Ranger, the engine shuts off. I then have to restart the Ranger to move the transmission into park. This doesn't seem to b right. Thoughts?

Other than that, I have already hauled trees, leaves, tables, etc... Towed a trailer a couple of times and it was like here was nothing back there. GAs mileage I hope improves as the mostly highway driving only shoed 16 mpg.

Thanks -

Mark
Push the power button on the radio is the easier way. :)

On stop/start, I just disable every time I get in the truck. I also have had a few occasions where the truck would turn off only to start when I place in park.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

On stop/start, I just disable every time I get in the truck. I also have had a few occasions where the truck would turn off only to start when I place in park.
I agree...it seems like the start/stop is really quick on the trigger. You can disable start/stop with Forscan or with the Auto start/stop eliminator. I use the latter. I seriously hated the start/stop feature.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I just use stop start and don't worry about it. I find it a bit dumb that it turns on going into park, but if I notice I'll power off first.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Auto Stop/Start doesn't bother me, but it does seem AWFULLY fast to stop. There are times when I literally have JUST stopped moving and the engine stops and almost before it has completed stopping, I have to start moving again, so it has to restart. It seems like there should be a delay of a second or so being fully stopped before it will actually stop running.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Who

Who would have thought to just push the power button on the radio? On the last vehicle I had to push the Start/Stop button. Thanks -

I guess it’s good to know others have noticed the quickness of the auto stop feature.

Mark

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Auto Stop/Start doesn't bother me, but it does seem AWFULLY fast to stop. There are times when I literally have JUST stopped moving and the engine stops and almost before it has completed stopping, I have to start moving again, so it has to restart. It seems like there should be a delay of a second or so being fully stopped before it will actually stop running.
If you know you're not going to be stopped long you can get a feel for how far to press the pedal to stop moving without the engine stopping. If it waited longer to stop, then you'd just be in the situation of stopping for a second, then the engine shuts off, then you go again.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If you know you're not going to be stopped long you can get a feel for how far to press the pedal to stop moving without the engine stopping. If it waited longer to stop, then you'd just be in the situation of stopping for a second, then the engine shuts off, then you go again.
When it looks like I'm not going to be stopped for long, I'm learning to kind of "roll" to a stop (and not press the brake down as far as you said) so it won't shut off for just a second and then restart. I've had times when I'm sure it wasn't even a second - the truck comes to a stop and as soon as it stops rolling it shuts off and then I immediately let off the brake and it restarts. It just seems like it shouldn't be quite as quick to stop as it is.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When the truck is started the first thing I do is tap the autostart button...Problem solved. I would rather that then dealing with Forscan and modules. The electronics are so involved, I fear messing with them

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
When the truck is started the first thing I do is tap the autostart button...Problem solved. I would rather that then dealing with Forscan and modules. The electronics are so involved, I fear messing with them
ok dumb question where is the autostart button?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
ok dumb question where is the autostart button?
On the console in front of the shifter. just tap it when you put the shifter in gear. Stays off until you turn the engine off or press button again to turn on.

Last edited:

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
On the console in front of the shifter. just tap it when you put the shifter in gear. Stays off until you turn the engine off or press button again to turn on.
Thanks. Will have to look for that

zendick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Sport
you can also shift into s (sport disables auto stop)

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
you can also shift into s (sport disables auto stop)
For some reason referring to the 'S' position on the shifter as the 'Sport mode' seems silly. I know that is what it is called but it still seems silly to me. I like to refer to it a select mode even tho that sounds wrong too.

I hadn't realized that S mode disabled the auto stop. Although that will be irrelevant for me when I install my dis-able circuitry package.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
For some reason referring to the 'S' position on the shifter as the 'Sport mode' seems silly. I know that is what it is called but it still seems silly to me. I like to refer to it a select mode even tho that sounds wrong too.

I hadn't realized that S mode disabled the auto stop. Although that will be irrelevant for me when I install my dis-able circuitry package.
Select mode doesn't sound right because you don't actually need to select gears, it will work on it's own if you don't push +/-, and if you do press +/- it can be disabled by holding + for a few seconds.
Sponsored