Gator tonneau

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Installed the gator roll up tonneau with the clips that attach to the bed rail lip. This is a terrible way to attach this and I hope the company changes the way this attaches. The ranger bed barely has any metal to attach the clamp to, less than 1/4". I struggled for about 2 hours and the rails fell into the bed twice. I wound up finally moving them to a few different locations as the manufacturing process of the bed isn't exact and had to find spots with a hair more metal. Anyone buying this style cover should look for something else. I'm just waiting for this to fall into the bed or blow off on the highway. The Gator also came with 4 different bags with directions for different things, one being foam blocks and a front bed rail foam piece. The ranger photos provided of where to put the blocks look nothing like the 6 foot ranger bed. The channel in the pic doesn't exist and the only area up front to put them is too small. Giving this another weekend of use to see if it holds otherwise it's going back or credit card benefit time. Pretty surprised on this product as the quality of all the component is decent, just terrible implementation. The rails also sag in the middle so the whole thing sits lower in the middle. Can be seen on the edge of the cover.

gator.jpg
Sponsored

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
I had the same issues with mine, however I finally got mine sturdy after tinkering for an hour. Tried to install myself for the first 45 min but with another person it wasn’t too terrible but getting those damn clamps to properly hold is a PITA. Really that should be a solid single piece not 2 separate pieces held together by a screw. Really dreading taking it off in order to take out my drop in bed liner and getting it sprayed.

OP
OP
ScoobieSnax

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I had the same issues with mine, however I finally got mine sturdy after tinkering for an hour. Tried to install myself for the first 45 min but with another person it wasn’t too terrible but getting those damn clamps to properly hold is a PITA. Really that should be a solid single piece not 2 separate pieces held together by a screw. Really dreading taking it off in order to take out my drop in bed liner and getting it sprayed.
Same dread here. Have to do the bedliner this summer.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
If it's any consolation the Truxedo Lo Pro installation diagrams sound similar and the foam blocks picture wasn't good either. My center clamps came off when I latched the cover the first time so they got moved and tightened significantly more. Brackets were provided for the back clamps that held good. No problems so far.

Can you loosen the back clamps and lower that side rail and re-tighten...looks a bit high in the back?

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
Same dread here. Have to do the bedliner this summer.
I wish the rangers had a bed rail system like the Tacoma’s, took me 25 minutes by myself to install my tonneau cover on it and it was sturdy as hell

OP
OP
ScoobieSnax

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
If it's any consolation the Truxedo Lo Pro installation diagrams sound similar and the foam blocks picture wasn't good either. My center clamps came off when I latched the cover the first time so they got moved and tightened significantly more. Brackets were provided for the back clamps that held good. No problems so far.

Can you loosen the back clamps and lower that side rail and re-tighten...looks a bit high in the back?
Came with the same rear brackets. I'm guessing this cover is the same cover. Only reason i got it is because no one had the truxedo 2 weeks ago. Those brackets are for stiffness of the bed but nothing explains this. Even tried putting the back clamp on the back bracket but the hardened metal of the bracket didn't allow that clamp to stay on. Popped off immediately. Going to see how my dads truck has it fastened this weekend. Chevy not Ford but he said it sounds similar.

OP
OP
ScoobieSnax

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

Nope, the center sags even lower. Water will run right in. It's overall a poor fitment. Just looked at the Truxedo lo pro you tube video on the F150. The clamps look much larger and that bed lip is much bigger.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got news for you. Quite a few companies use the same methods of attachments and yes, they suck.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did yours come with a bag of brackets specifically for the Ford Ranger? If so how in the world did you mount those back brackets?
How in the heck did the rear brackets get mounted, if at all? I believe I can mount the front brackets but the back brackets, I just don't see a spot for them.
I got the cover and the side rails on with no issues with these brackets that I guess were supposed to be support for the side rails or stumping me with their rear bracket installation.
Here's a pic of the bracket installation. Mine is the gator SRX cover.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 4.45.13 PM.png

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I have the Truxedo and installed mine without those extra brackets...couldn't figure out their orientation due to poor instructions. Clamped the rails directly to bed rails...
BUT...after re-looking at the instructions, the brackets will fit the Ranger. If you look at the very rear of the bed rail, just underneath where it curves over, you'll see a hole and a slot punched into the metal support.
I believe those brackets are to be fastened to those mounting points...holes in the brackets match up with the bed rail holes. I haven't checked the front bed corners but willing to bet there are matching attachment points for the front included brackets.
I think those brackets are used to give the clamps something to support them rather than using just the Ranger's bed rail edge. On the rear brackets the push pins supplied go into the hole which is "blind" while the front bracket hole matches up with the "slot" so you can use the nut/bolt supplied.
Don't have the time in next day or two, but I am going to strip mine off and re attach using the xtra brackets. I think they might help in securing the cover a lot better.
Didn't realize how back brackets attached until I read/re-read Nicks post and pics and it hit me.
You would think that an old fart that has read/followed thousands of instructions over the years would follow/understand....but Noooo....I had to rush thru the install like a rookie who knows it all...:headbang:

Last edited:

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
Did yours come with a bag of brackets specifically for the Ford Ranger? If so how in the world did you mount those back brackets?
How in the heck did the rear brackets get mounted, if at all? I believe I can mount the front brackets but the back brackets, I just don't see a spot for them.
I got the cover and the side rails on with no issues with these brackets that I guess were supposed to be support for the side rails or stumping me with their rear bracket installation.
Here's a pic of the bracket installation. Mine is the gator SRX cover.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 4.45.13 PM.png
I didn't install any of those brackets, I have a drop in bed liner so it covers up all those factory mounting spots.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I didn't install any of those brackets, I have a drop in bed liner so it covers up all those factory mounting spots.
And if you have a spray-in liner, then the mounting holes are probably filled with wonderful Line-X and will need tapped out. They do fit. And they help with fitment of this cheap cover.

Kevzuki1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
covid19criticalcare.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Lumber Sales
And if you have a spray-in liner, then the mounting holes are probably filled with wonderful Line-X and will need tapped out. They do fit. And they help with fitment of this cheap cover.
Friday - Spray in Linex
Saturday - Installed Gator SRX Rollup Cover, used all brackets included. I ran all the bolts in before mounting the brackets to clear out linex and had no problems

tempImage1kHCkn.png
tempImageYg7IYS.png
tempImage1kHCkn.png
tempImageYg7IYS.png
tempImageXKPoMv.png
tempImage1kHCkn.png
Sponsored