Gas Prices Are Still Dropping With No Signs Of Stopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
We use Natural Gas for heat/fireplace/dryer/water, and the wife loves to sit in front of the fire place, I cringe at what my PG&E bill will be this month.
We were planning to do natural gas (it runs on our street) but our boiler didn't last until summer when it would have been a bit easier on the budget.

Our boiler went out at 6 PM on a Sunday. We got emergency service that night and it only lasted two hours but it was enough to fill up our SuperStor and heat the house back up for the night. Monday we got the quote and they installed it Tuesday and we had heat back by 5 PM. So 47 hours with space heaters (haven't seen the electric bill yet, that'll be another shock and another lost Ranger mod).

We couldn't have gotten natural gas for several months, so at least this oil boiler is pretty efficient (far more than the 1987 one!).

No leaks and diesel smell either with new tubing. The new boiler seems pretty fancy to me, it even has its own sprinkler head!

Here's hoping your PG&E bill isn't as high as you think, that might leave you with some cash to support @AzScorpion buy some Graphene! =D
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
We were planning to do natural gas (it runs on our street) but our boiler didn't last until summer when it would have been a bit easier on the budget.

Our boiler went out at 6 PM on a Sunday. We got emergency service that night and it only lasted two hours but it was enough to fill up our SuperStor and heat the house back up for the night. Monday we got the quote and they installed it Tuesday and we had heat back by 5 PM. So 47 hours with space heaters (haven't seen the electric bill yet, that'll be another shock and another lost Ranger mod).

We couldn't have gotten natural gas for several months, so at least this oil boiler is pretty efficient (far more than the 1987 one!).

No leaks and diesel smell either with new tubing. The new boiler seems pretty fancy to me, it even has its own sprinkler head!

Here's hoping your PG&E bill isn't as high as you think, that might leave you with some cash to support @AzScorpion buy some Graphene! =D
We are looking into switching over everything we can to electric as our rates are low, 0.09 a KWH, plus we have 6KW of solar and 2 tesla power walls to store the excess, we don't even notice when there is an outage. Also I have it wired so I can back feed from the RV 5KW generator if needed. PG&E is bending its customers over on rates, we are only two and have a smallish (1800 sqf) home that is energy efficient, with summer use around $28 a month, but winter jumps to $250.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I had an oil boiler at my house back in MA. When I built it in the fall of '97 oil was only $.85/gal and there was no NG there so the only other option was propane which I learned from my first house that I built was expensive. Then in '08 when oil shot up to over $4.00/gal I had a coal boiler put it. I had it plumbed in series with the oil boiler and the oil boiler would kick in if the temps ever fell below the setting. I could heat my whole house along with hot water for $800/year.

I bought the coal in bulk (had a TT load delivered) and would burn only 4 tons a year. I had 3 acres and a nice huge turn around where I had my snowmobile trailer parked. I had 4 huge grain bags in the basement and each one held 1 ton and I'd just spray it down with a pump sprayer with water so there little to no dust. Good thing is coal burns wet or dry so you could soak it good. The hopper held 300lbs so unless it got below zero I'd only have to fill it about once a week in the dead of winter.

1672952725581.jpeg

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rangers in the easiest way possible.
Cheapest gas at BJ’s here in Mass is $3.19 a gallon today. Head of lettuce is 5 bucks! Yup seriously, a head of iceberg lettuce that has zero nutritional value!
Who needs lettuce anyway lol.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rangers in the easiest way possible.
Lived in Los Angeles, and now central coast California. It was nice to see $3.79/gal for 87 a month ago, but short lived. I have never seen below $4 for the last 10-15 years in Cali. Now the cheapest here is $4.09/gal @Costco.
Ooof... that's expensive. There is a cost to the sunny cali weather :(

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
And the price of a tailgate damper is down to $25.79 on Amazon today so not everything is is going up.
See, I'm trying to help my Ranger friends during these tough times. ?

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I had an oil boiler at my house back in MA. When I built it in the fall of '97 oil was only $.85/gal and there was no NG there so the only other option was propane which I learned from my first house that I built was expensive. Then in '08 when oil shot up to over $4.00/gal I had a coal boiler put it. I had it plumbed in series with the oil boiler and the oil boiler would kick in if the temps ever fell below the setting. I could heat my whole house along with hot water for $800/year.

I bought the coal in bulk (had a TT load delivered) and would burn only 4 tons a year. I had 3 acres and a nice huge turn around where I had my snowmobile trailer parked. I had 4 huge grain bags in the basement and each one held 1 ton and I'd just spray it down with a pump sprayer with water so there little to no dust. Good thing is coal burns wet or dry so you could soak it good. The hopper held 300lbs so unless it got below zero I'd only have to fill it about once a week in the dead of winter.

1672952725581.jpeg
Wow, pretty nifty on a coal boiler - and a residential-sized one it looks like - I had no idea such a thing existed now!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wow, pretty nifty on a coal boiler - and a residential-sized one it looks like - I had no idea such a thing existed now!
I had a friend who had one in his house house so it was nice to see it working first hand before buying one. They're very simple too just a hopper and a dial that runs the pusher to control the speed of the amount going into the boiler. There's a large ash pan inside that lower door which you empty. Even in sub zero weather you could go two days before emptying it and I had two others for back ups in case it was really cold out. lol

What's nice about having them plumbed in series is you set the aqua stat on the oil boiler lower than the coal boiler. So if you forget to feed the upper or there's a malfunction the oil boiler kicked on when the temps go down on the coal one.

1672959441012.jpeg

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Eggs are jumping up here too Ed. They use to be on sale all the time for .99 and now the prices are the same as yours. Annie just took these on Friday because she couldn't believe how much they were now. :eek: But in some eyes the economy is doing fine.:rolleyes:

IMG_0777 copy.jpg

IMG_0778 copy.jpg
That seals the deal!! I was looking at retiring in AZ, but not with these egg prices!! local Safeway in WA has the lucerne dozen for $2.99 and the 18 pack for $4.39. :crackup:

All jokes aside, I guess eggs have to get trucked in from another state? Looks like Lucerne is HQ'd in ID and parent company is Safeway. The price of everything relates to the cost of fuel.

Last edited:

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
That seals the deal!! I was looking at retiring in AZ, but not with these egg prices!! local Safeway in WA has the lucerne dozen for $2.99 and the 18 pack for $4.39. :crackup:

All jokes aside, I guess eggs have to get trucked in from another state? Looks like Lucerne is HQ'd in ID and parent company is Safeway. The price of everything relates to the cost of fuel.
I get farm fresh eggs here for $2/dozen........huge eggs and taste very good with ham and hashbrowns! Oh!......and my cholesterol checked out very well this am at my Dr's appt!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.