First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I think everyone that has a large SUV or truck knows they’re not the best in gas and didn’t buy them for their efficiency.
I don't know about that! A few years ago I was watching a TV program where they were interviewing the head of General Motors Hummer brand. He was asked why Hummer had such a poor customer satisfaction rating. His response was that the overwhelming complaint from customers was poor gas mileage even though they actually got better mileage than other vehicles in the same class. He was somewhat frustrated in why people would knowingly buy a big heavy vehicle then complain about gas mileage.

I would venture a guess that other brands get the same complaints on their large heavy vehicles but they get diluted because other brands have much more economical vehicles in their portfolios.
Sponsored

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Sounds like you have zero sympathy for others. Money and prices really mean nothing to many of us that took advantage of investing for our future. I see local people having to choose between food and fuel to heat with. There are many falling behind financial responsibility with interest rates rising. It's not about managing money anymore, it's about lowering the living standard to survive for many working families as they face hyperinflation up here. It's a real problem that your attitude won't fix.
That’s key, “standard of living”. Some want to fix it and/or keep it (that also includes various freedoms), and others believe that nothing is wrong with this current administration and just blindly support total nonsense. Anyone happy with not only paying higher prices on all goods and commodities but also happy with the value of our dollar tanking is the problem. Plenty of working class people out there struggling right now and yet here we are with a ludicrous is spending bill being pushed and people accepting it.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Seems like that's all this forum does anymore, LOL! Got to have fuel or walk! I haven't once bitched about how much it's going up. It's about like these idiots bitching about the price off eggs, stop eating them if they're too much.... Or learn to manage your money better :D
Well maybe you just enjoy paying more for shit. I don’t know what you make and don’t care to know, but when full time working families are having trouble making ends meet, there is a problem. I’m doing just fine but I still give a shit about everyone’s quality of life. I doubt you’d be fine paying higher prices if it got bad enough to start affecting you and your wellbeing. As it turns out, not everyone makes the same amount of money for various reasons. But the vast majority of Americans are worse off now than they were a few years ago. No arguing that.

N559br

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
My view is that apparently gas prices aren't high enough. I usually run about 5-7 mph over posted. However, the number of full size trucks and SUVs passing me at 80+ mph makes me think they value time over cost. As the pain at the pump increases I'll be interested to see if the number of these vehicles passing me deceases. Or are most of them just math illiterate and don't understand the relationship of mpg to speed.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you have zero sympathy for others. Money and prices really mean nothing to many of us that took advantage of investing for our future. I see local people having to choose between food and fuel to heat with. There are many falling behind financial responsibility with interest rates rising. It's not about managing money anymore, it's about lowering the living standard to survive for many working families as they face hyperinflation up here. It's a real problem that your attitude won't fix.
Don't get all pissy for what I said... I'm just tired of everything. I don't like it anymore than any of yall, but bitching about it, isn't going to make it go lower. Doesn't matter, I'm ignoring this thread now... :D

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
My view is that apparently gas prices aren't high enough. I usually run about 5-7 mph over posted. However, the number of full size trucks and SUVs passing me at 80+ mph makes me think they value time over cost. As the pain at the pump increases I'll be interested to see if the number of these vehicles passing me deceases. Or are most of them just math illiterate and don't understand the relationship of mpg to speed.
I remember years ago people predicting that when gas hits $4, everyone will be driving compact cars. Even at $5, people are still buying large SUV's and trucks. The mentality for most is that if I can afford $70k on a vehicle, an extra $50 to $100 for gas is nothing. But that is here where gas is $3.25, with a high of about $4.25 a while back. If you look it up, gas in Norway is $2.16 per liter, so about $8.16 per gallon.
As for your last statement, it's not math illiteracy, it's indifference.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rangers in the easiest way possible.
Well @carmigo , when you posted that gas was going down; gas was going up in Las Vegas. I'm hoping that this post of yours has a similar effect ?
We hope so too lol. If gas goes below $3, you're welcome ;)

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
I always find that cars racing past me are like sports cars or luxury cars? So possibly people with enough money to value time over cost. Can not personally relate, you can find me chilling in the right lane.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Found this, about sixty cents more per gallon than 10% ethanol mid grade. Maybe I'll splurge since I'm using a midgrade tune just see if I can tell a difference.
IMG_20230202_102728186.jpg

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
Found this, about sixty cents more per gallon than 10% ethanol mid grade. Maybe I'll splurge since I'm using a midgrade tune just see if I can tell a difference.
IMG_20230202_102728186.jpg
Well, we are curious now, was there a difference? Worth it?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Well, we are curious now, was there a difference? Worth it?
I waited until I racked up some Kroger points and the tank was empty. Only put about 30 miles mixed driving since.

I've only done this once before with 87 octane ethanol free and pre-tune (for midgrade).

With the mods and tune I can't be sure if my perception is biased but I'm pretty familiar with how the truck runs.

It seems smooth and I don't think there's same dramatic rush of acceleration when the throttle is wide open but no loss of power.

Too soon to tell if there is a change in MPG. It feels refined initially. At regular price it's still more than 93 octane 10% ethanol which I run 90% of the time. I don't know if there is a winter fuel blend for ethanol free gas either?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
This VIDEO has good points on the pros, cons and lies of corn-based ethanol.
And if you still think E85 is great, run a tank in your flex fuel vehicle and compare the MPG.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
This VIDEO has good points on the pros, cons and lies of corn-based ethanol.
And if you still think E85 is great, run a tank in your flex fuel vehicle and compare the MPG.
Greta is angry with you after that.
1676474571408.gif
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.