First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Just a FYI: Last weekend I did a 700 mile run AFTER correcting my speedo for my summer tire size. What a difference in the mpg calculated by the truck. Previous best I could do was 18 mpg (15 in the city). On the trip, the calculator gave a overall avg of 25.6 mpg (95% interstate cruise control driving). Actual fill up gallons divided in to mileage gave 24.3 mpg.

During this trip I used Google Maps (and the on-boarded Nav, just to compare). Based on G Maps GPS speed reading, Cruise Control speed setting was about 3 mph over stated. So 75 mph was really 72 mph. This suggests that the 632 revs per mile of the 275/55R20 wheel/tire combo as calculated by RevsPM (revolutions per mile Rev-per-mile Calculator)=((5280*12)/(2r* π) is a little off using a calculated circumference of 100.25 inches (where Circumference = diameter * 3.14159; diameter = ((275 * .55) * 2) + 20) inches.
Need to do a rollout measurement of the wheel/tire to get the actual circumference and see what the calculation then shows. Guessing more like 637 RevsPM.
Stock wheel/tire on the Lariat were 265/60R18 for a RevsPM of 661.

Anyway, relying on the on-board calculator is only as good as the speedo calibration.
Several questions......
Were these computations done at high tide or low tide, taking into consideration Mn is not located on an ocean shoreline ???
What was the phase of the moon as that might have some input on the Revs Per Mile...closer to the moon puts much more strain on a combustion engine as the closer the moon is, it is possible the denser the fuel mist becomes.
And, were there any sunspots noticed as you well know that sunspots play havoc with electronic devices (the computer, cruise control, GPS signals) thus providing wrong data ???
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Anyway, relying on the on-board calculator is only as good as the speedo calibration.
Even doing the calculation by hand Is only as good as the speedo calibration AND how accurately you can fill the tank to the same level.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Even doing the calculation by hand Is only as good as the speedo calibration AND how accurately you can fill the tank to the same level.
Puts me at a distinct dis-advantage....lost my right pinky....only have 9 to count with.....
Plays hell when I have to count to tenths of a gallon.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Several questions......
Were these computations done at high tide or low tide, taking into consideration Mn is not located on an ocean shoreline ???
What was the phase of the moon as that might have some input on the Revs Per Mile...closer to the moon puts much more strain on a combustion engine as the closer the moon is, it is possible the denser the fuel mist becomes.
And, were there any sunspots noticed as you well know that sunspots play havoc with electronic devices (the computer, cruise control, GPS signals) thus providing wrong data ???
Yes to all... did not want to bore you with the fine details...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
if i really try hard to get good mpg i can milk 23 mpg. but its no fun. when i drive the way i prefer and do normal 5g ranger stuff 20-21 is where mine always averages out to. i know thats not fantastic however i feel like in a truck i use as a truck that 20 is not so bad considering the abilities of the truck.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
2022 xlt fx2.

Empty interior i have a swing out box in the bed with some tie down straps soft shackles and stuff. So empty bed too. On my last fill up. All stock vehicle. Well not quite. I have a tailgate strut assist.

14 MPG

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Puts me at a distinct dis-advantage....lost my right pinky....only have 9 to count with.....
Plays hell when I have to count to tenths of a gallon.
I'm with you Steve. I can only get too 1 & 1/3 on my right hand.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
To get a more accurate feeling for MPG, you need to manually calculate fuel vs miles driven over several tanks. 1 tank of gas won't get an accurate measurement as the ECU is still fine tuning its tables for optimum fuel/air mixtures.
But I have no doubt that the E0 will gain a couple MPG's as you have shown.

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
Towing my little boat, which weighs about 2,200 with a trailer, I average around 20 mpg. Towing my tiny boat, which weighs about 800 pounds with a trailer, I average about 24 mpg. This is on a 150-mile run using freeways and back roads. I stay at the speed limit which is 55 mph towing.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
I got 443 mpg from the top of my drive way down to the bottom. In reverse. Beat that.

If I keep resetting my mpg meter every time I let up on the gas, I could probably get 500 mpg, too. Sooo... nananananana.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I got 443 mpg from the top of my drive way down to the bottom. In reverse. Beat that.

If I keep resetting my mpg meter every time I let up on the gas, I could probably get 500 mpg, too. Sooo... nananananana.
Fake news! These trucks top out at 99.9 MPG lol!

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Fake news! These trucks top out at 99.9 MPG lol!
What???? No way! You just wait till I photoshop my mileage number into the picture of my dash and I'll show you I get 443 mpg over the course of going down my 40 ft. driveway.

Don't know what to tell ya, man. I get that gas mileage every day despite carrying 4000 lbs. of used toilets on a 1,500 lb. trailer with 1,300 lbs of toilet paper in the bed every single day.

My truck must just be so much better than yours or I am just that much of a better driver and totally a better person than you because I get WAY better gas mileage that is completely against the laws of physics and human reality.

Last edited: