FX4 XLT302A or XLT302A locking rear and running boards?

Which one should I choose and please comment why down below.

• Total voters

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
So close trying to make a deal on one of two XLT302A SuperCrews.

Msrp is almost identical. What should I settle on? I like the running boards for my kid to use to hop in. I love the front steel bash plate vs the air dam look. Locking rear adding on with the running boards or FX4 package and no running boards?
Sponsored

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase

Msrp is almost identical. What should I settle on? I like the running boards for my kid to use to hop in. I love the front steel bash plate vs the air dam look. Locking rear adding on with the running boards or FX4 package and no running boards?
Get the FX4...you can add running boards later.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Add the running boards later..I took mine off in 30 minutes, and another 30 to install another set.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

My dad got a 502A with running boards and locking rear. No FX4. He was going to make this "the last truck he ever buys", and now he's saying that he's trading it in after 2 years and getting (literally) the same exact truck plus the FX4 package.

I have the FX4 and he's jealous of my Terrain Management button :)

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I think the FX4 package is a good deal for its cost. Add the running boards of your choice later. I'm not having much luck with getting my running boards thru Ford Parts so may be going aftermarket.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the FX4 package is a good deal for its cost. Add the running boards of your choice later. I'm not having much luck with getting my running boards thru Ford Parts so may be going aftermarket.
A good set of brushed stainless aftermarket boards would make my day honestly. Every Ranger I've had in the past has had OEM running boards, and they all become rust traps, and basically disintegrate. This time I got the FX4 package and no boards, which I'm very happy to have done.

Is FX4 with boards not an option? My 2003 FX4 had them factory.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Unless you're really going offroad, go with locking rear and running boards.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
If you don't plan to do any real off-roading, I don't see much need for the FX4 tbh. The FX4 shocks ride harsher too. If you don't like the air dam, you can always just take it off! The sport appearance package will also give you the cooler looking front bumper too if that's the look you're going for. Also, as others have said, you can always add any running board you want at home.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless you're really going offroad, go with locking rear and running boards.
I've used the trail control for several "not offroad" things. It's quite nice when towing a trailer or driving on slippery surfaces. It's just one of those things to me that I'll find ways to use, but if I didn't have it, I couldn't do that.

The terrain management is also really cool when it's icy out. it takes away some of the throttle response and lets you "ease" into the gas a lot slower. I live in Michigan, and we had 16 snow days due to ice this year. The truck is easily the best I've ever driven without dedicated snow/ice tires.

To me, the FX4 cannot be added later, while all of the other things mentioned can be added easily as needed.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

When ordering my supercab, I went with the STX with lockin diff over a FX4.

Didn't want the terrain management system. Wanted the locking diff.

For a fraction of the cost, I can add a couple skid plates myself.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Ok. So far it sounds like I will be signing my name for the XLT 302A FX4 package truck and no running boards. This dealership upped my trade in $500 more so we might be golden. And I had intentions of getting the non-FX4 truck tomorrow morning but might be doing this today, here now.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't plan to do any real off-roading, I don't see much need for the FX4 tbh. The FX4 shocks ride harsher too. If you don't like the air dam, you can always just take it off! The sport appearance package will also give you the cooler looking front bumper too if that's the look you're going for. Also, as others have said, you can always add any running board you want at home.
Yup, that's what I did. Got the Sport 4x2 with Rear Locker, added the Steps and haven't seen the need to remove the front air dam as it's pretty much invisible on the Sport Versions.
Ranger steps-2.jpg
Sponsored