Funny/Frustrating dealer response

mjbrow

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GTI
Thought you all would appreciate this email. I sent my edmunds quote over to this dealer. It was also followed up by a phone call, asking if I wanted to take a look at their current inventory. When I told them that it's not released yet, the online sales guy wanted to sell me a different car!

I am starting to regret beginning this process.

upload_2018-12-4_12-38-56.png
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thought you all would appreciate this email. I sent my edmunds quote over to this dealer. It was also followed up by a phone call, asking if I wanted to take a look at their current inventory. When I told them that it's not released yet, the online sales guy wanted to sell me a different car!

I am starting to regret beginning this process.

upload_2018-12-4_12-38-56.png
Welcome to the world of car sales.... :crackup:

I went in to test drive a Tacoma and told the guy right up front I wasn't ready to buy today - I just was gathering info and would be making my decision after the first of the year. We did the test drive but he had to run me by his "manager" (the closer) to try and convince me to sign the papers that day. I had to tell them like 5 times before I could leave. Similar behavior when I've contacted the Ford dealers via email - they always call (which I can screen) and want you to come in - I guess they figure if you come in they have you captive.... To a car salesman no doesn't mean no - it means "maybe",

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I just walk out if they try to play games. There are good dealers out there and there are even more terrible ones. Don’t waste your time entertaining them, hah.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
I had the same experience as mjbrow -- I had checked some box on the Ford website (don't remember when) and the nearest Ford dealership called/contacted me about buying an F-150.....

OP
OP

mjbrow

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GTI
Welcome to the world of car sales.... :crackup:

I went in to test drive a Tacoma and told the guy right up front I wasn't ready to buy today - I just was gathering info and would be making my decision after the first of the year. We did the test drive but he had to run me by his "manager" (the closer) to try and convince me to sign the papers that day. I had to tell them like 5 times before I could leave. Similar behavior when I've contacted the Ford dealers via email - they always call (which I can screen) and want you to come in - I guess they figure if you come in they have you captive.... To a car salesman no doesn't mean no - it means "maybe",
That's pretty bad. I actually had a decent experience when I was buying my VW, but I was buying off the lot which I would say is an easier sell for them.

OP
OP

mjbrow

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GTI
I had the same experience as mjbrow -- I had checked some box on the Ford website (don't remember when) and the nearest Ford dealership called/contacted me about buying an F-150.....
"Bigger truck, equal money! No way you can turn down that offer!" I can hear the negotiation already...

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Don't you just hate it when you know more about a vehicle than the salesperson? When I ordered my 2015 Colorado, I had to tell them that they were now taking orders. You'd think the dealer would already be aware of that on a new vehicle.

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red
Don't you just hate it when you know more about a vehicle than the salesperson? When I ordered my 2015 Colorado, I had to tell them that they were now taking orders. You'd think the dealer would already be aware of that on a new vehicle.
This whole roll out since August has seemed strange to me. I've never ordered a new vehicle before so maybe this is just normal. I ordered on Sept. 20 and was told it should be 8-10 weeks with this Thursday being 10 weeks. Salesman obviously didn't really know because by the look of it on this forum, almost no one is getting their vehicle until after the 1st of the year at the earliest. Then dealer says Ford is pushing back production of my truck because of an option I have on it but Ford won't tell them how long the delay will be. Then when Ford comes out with an info sheet and says that option is "Coming 2Q 2019" my salesman acts like he knew nothing about it. Just seems like a lack of communication or caring to find out. Seems like the Ford dealer I ordered from and many others talked about on this forum aren't real interested in pre-orders but I bet they are on the ones coming to their lots. But I've been told twice what a great looking truck I've ordered and I'm really going to like it!

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
This whole roll out since August has seemed strange to me. I've never ordered a new vehicle before so maybe this is just normal. I ordered on Sept. 20 and was told it should be 8-10 weeks with this Thursday being 10 weeks. Salesman obviously didn't really know because by the look of it on this forum, almost no one is getting their vehicle until after the 1st of the year at the earliest. Then dealer says Ford is pushing back production of my truck because of an option I have on it but Ford won't tell them how long the delay will be. Then when Ford comes out with an info sheet and says that option is "Coming 2Q 2019" my salesman acts like he knew nothing about it. Just seems like a lack of communication or caring to find out. Seems like the Ford dealer I ordered from and many others talked about on this forum aren't real interested in pre-orders but I bet they are on the ones coming to their lots. But I've been told twice what a great looking truck I've ordered and I'm really going to like it!
I really don't understand why some of these dealers would not be interested in pre-sales. I mean really..here is a sure thing sale that does not affect their vehicle allocations. It like free money for little work.

OP
OP

mjbrow

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GTI
I really don't understand why some of these dealers would not be interested in pre-sales. I mean really..here is a sure thing sale that does not affect their vehicle allocations. It like free money for little work.
Probably just the mater of instant gratification. The money for your car will arrive somewhere in the future, but sure isn't going be in time to pay for the new flat screen I wanted for Christmas.

Reactions: kep

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I've ordered lots of new cars and the time between ordering and delivery has ranged from 3 weeks to about 8 weeks with no issues re parts not being available, but most of those were vehicles already in production. However, when you order a brand new vehicle that is just starting production, there are lots of issues that could arise, including specific parts. When I ordered my 2015 Colorado, it was the first year for the new version, and they weren't actually in production yet. I ordered on Sept. 15, it was finally built the first week of Dec., and delivered to dealer on Dec. 30, so 3.5 months before I saw it. None of that, however, excuses the dealer/salesman from not being informed nor customer oriented.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I used to sell cars and at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what rolls off the curb that day. A preorder that sells 3 months later might as well be 3 years to them and as far as being in the know, it comes down to two things. One being there isn't great communication between the manufacturer and the dealership and there is little interest from the sales manager to inform the salespeople about something that doesn't affect the business today. If the salesperson doesnt take it upon themself to get informed, then it never happens until a customer informs them. Most salespeople really don't care if it pulls them away from their coffee and candy crush time at the desk while waiting for the next fresh sale to roll through the doors. That's just the nature of the game, honestly.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
^^^ What he said. My great-grandpa started a Ford dealership in the 40's and my grandpa and dad owned it until they sold it to my uncle some years ago so I literally grew up at a Ford dealership. It is amazing how few salespeople take the time to learn their vehicles. The good ones will know their product, and that of their competitors, but too many just wait around until somebody comes in and wants to fill out a credit application.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
When I ordered my 2015 Mustang it took six months for delivery. I ordered it about 30 days after they began to accept pre-orders. It was a long six months.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
When I ordered my 2015 Mustang it took six months for delivery. I ordered it about 30 days after they began to accept pre-orders. It was a long six months.
When they refreshed the Challenger for 2015, we had a customer order a blue R/T scat pack with 6 speed manual. It took 5 months and he came to the dealership every couple of days to check the status. When he finally took delivery, he traded it in 2 months later with only 800 miles on it for a Ram truck. Talk about a long wait and after all that to just trade it in for a truck that was just sitting on the lot for months.
Sponsored