Full size 18" Steel Wheel for Spare Info

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion SE, 2021 XL Ranger Supercab STX 4x4
Occupation
Automotive Tooling Engineer
Good Morning. I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, but i did not see it in my seraches.

I am interested in purchasing a full size 18" Steel Rim to use as my spare (would buy a fifth tire that matches my current size) so that all my tires would be the same size. I will soon be replacing my Stock Hankooks and would like to buy 5 matching ones when i do.

My question is how do I determine the correct size Steel rim/offset etc to match my Factory 18" STX Machined Rims.

Any info would help, I have never bought Rims/Wheels before.
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
As far as I know, steel wheels are 16” and 17”, with the 16” much more common. What do you have for a spare now?

OP
OP

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As far as I know, steel wheels are 16” and 17”, with the 16” much more common. What do you have for a spare now?
I am looking to buy an 18" steel wheel to match my current aluminum rims
I need to crawl underneath to confirm, but i believe my current spare is 16" with a different tire size (but same OD) as my (4) 18" tires.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am looking to buy an 18" steel wheel to match my current aluminum rims
I need to crawl underneath to confirm, but i believe my current spare is 16" with a different tire size (but same OD) as my (4) 18" tires.
I would look on eBay for an 18” wheel that matches the other four. Craigslist and Facebook Market are possibles, but eBay is quick and easy.

I have five matching 17” alloy wheels, all with TPMS sensors, and rotate all five. For winter, I am using directional snow tires, so I just carry the similar-but-not-matching factory spare in a 16” steel wheel.

OP
OP

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would look on eBay for an 18” wheel that matches the other four. Craigslist and Facebook Market are possibles, but eBay is quick and easy.

I have five matching 17” alloy wheels, all with TPMS sensors, and rotate all five. For winter, I am using directional snow tires, so I just carry the similar-but-not-matching factory spare in a 16” steel wheel.
I end up driving a lot of gravel roads, I DO NOT want an alloy rim for the spare, just a full size Steel Rim

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I end up driving a lot of gravel roads, I DO NOT want an alloy rim for the spare, just a full size Steel Rim
Ford doesn't make a steelie 18 with this pattern, and very few other vehicles use the pattern either. I doubt very much you'll find one.

OP
OP

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford doesn't make a steelie 18 with this pattern, and very few other vehicles use the pattern either. I doubt very much you'll find one.
Well dang it

Jtholz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Blackout, 501A, Tow Package
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem. I ended up just getting a taller tire and mounting it on my current spare 17” rim. Good luck with your search.

OP
OP

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well dang it
So, i guess back to my original question, how to know wheel pattern and offest so that i could order some aftermarket 18" steel rims that would match my factory alloy riu
I had the same problem. I ended up just getting a taller tire and mounting it on my current spare 17” rim. Good luck with your search.
yeah, I may end up buying another Alloy wheel, the whole goal was to get having a matching full size spare. I have found several companys that make after market steel rims, but they cost as much as a factory rim, so i may just go with that.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, i guess back to my original question, how to know wheel pattern and offest so that i could order some aftermarket 18" steel rims that would match my factory alloy riu

yeah, I may end up buying another Alloy wheel, the whole goal was to get having a matching full size spare. I have found several companys that make after market steel rims, but they cost as much as a factory rim, so i may just go with that.
For the past year, the 17” silver-painted STX/XLT alloy wheels have been the best value, hovering In the $75-130 range from refurbisher/resellers. I bought five of them for $430, with center caps. I see some 18” under $200, which seems like a fair deal.

OP
OP

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For the past year, the 17” silver-painted STX/XLT alloy wheels have been the best value, hovering In the $75-130 range from refurbisher/resellers. I bought five of them for $430, with center caps. I see some 18” under $200, which seems like a fair deal.
Were are you looking? I have a 2021 XL-STX, so mine are the Black Painted/machined 18" rims. Quite possibly the ugliest set of OEM rims ever made. I really like the appearance of the "Sport" rims, but not sure if those are 18"?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
If you go with the OEM STX/SE painted/machined wheel, mount it with the painted side up to keep gravel from chipping up the paint.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Our rims are 6 lug x 139.7mm +55 offset with 93.1mm center bore. You will find lots of rims with 139.7, some with +55 off set, but very, very few with 93.1 center.

Given the option, I'd take an 18 spare rim to go with my 18 winter tires, but there's really no measurable negative to having an off-sized rim as a spare, provided the tire OD is similar. My spare is a steel 17 and spare tire is 0.1 inch larger than the 18 tires. It's close enough that there are no warning bells if I have to use it, and that's all I need.

I'm not judging or saying don't do it, just curious if there is a reason.

OP
OP

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Our rims are 6 lug x 139.7mm +55 offset with 93.1mm center bore. You will find lots of rims with 139.7, some with +55 off set, but very, very few with 93.1 center.

Given the option, I'd take an 18 spare rim to go with my 18 winter tires, but there's really no measurable negative to having an off-sized rim as a spare, provided the tire OD is similar. My spare is a steel 17 and spare tire is 0.1 inch larger than the 18 tires. It's close enough that there are no warning bells if I have to use it, and that's all I need.

I'm not judging or saying don't do it, just curious if there is a reason.
the main reason is i want to get the spare tire into my tire rotation plans, and then my spare would match my regular driving tires

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
the main reason is i want to get the spare tire into my tire rotation plans, and then my spare would match my regular driving tires
You want a black steelie mismatched rim to use in a 5 tire rotation schedule?
Sponsored