Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
Hey folks, question for the wise ones out there. Kind of a 2 parter. First, my check engine light is on, its my fuel pressure sensor, this will be number 4 getting installed. 3 last year, and now this one. Last year is started after getting the truck undercoated, and now again this year.

Does anyone else have this problem with undercoating and pressure sensors? Eastern Canada here, and they hammer the roads with salt in the winter, not to mention the salt air off the ocean, so not undercoating is a bad idea.

Where is this sensor located so I can cover it or something for next time?

Lastly, kinda a bonus question. First time undercoating it was Rustcheck with Ford themselves, so this year I went to Krown as I thought the less runny undercoating would cause less problems. They are now telling me that it would have voided my warranty and that I will be on the hook for the repairs, Krown has a statement on their website that says its "safe for all vehicle Warranties", any advise out there?
Sponsored

skipper146

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT crew sport pkg.
Hi. I've contacted ford warranty and they refuse to cover the fuel pressure sensor replacement if you've had your vehicle undercoated / oil sprayed.
I ended up changing mine my self in one hour and 15 min.
The new one came with a plastic shroud covering the area that oil gets in when undercoated.
If that isn't an admission of poor design than I don't know what is.
Ford is not taking any responsibility. Who ever heard of not being able to rustproof a vehicle.

OP
OP
nightgardian

nightgardian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
I'm on pressure sensor number 4 in 2 years. Not once would ford cover it, even when it was their dealership that did the undercaoating. Very poor service in my mind. I have tried covering it when its undercoated, asking them to stay away from it, anything I Can think of and nada. The second they see the truck is undercoated anywhere (doesn't have to be around the gas tank) they throw the generic "Undercoating is considered an aftermarket modification, and anything related to it is non-warranty", even got an email from Ford Canada directly saying as such because I simply couldn't believe that at first and asked for someone to contact me about it.

OP
OP
nightgardian

nightgardian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
I have an old one from the last time I changed it at home with all the lines on it, I'll grab a pic tonight. Its located on the top of the fuel tank area, its just a little sensor.

OP
OP
nightgardian

nightgardian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
Sorry about the LONG delay, I got distracted at work thats day and didn't think about it again until I went back into the garage to work on something else and seen this on the able. Pretty sure this is the part (the small sensor), last time I had it replace, the said "they replaced everything including the lines." When you run the part number it says its from a Crown Vic, but that it is a fuel sensor. I just assume its the same part.

20220731_081753_HDR.jpg

20220731_081803_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
nightgardian

nightgardian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
Hi. I've contacted ford warranty and they refuse to cover the fuel pressure sensor replacement if you've had your vehicle undercoated / oil sprayed.
I ended up changing mine my self in one hour and 15 min.
The new one came with a plastic shroud covering the area that oil gets in when undercoated.
If that isn't an admission of poor design than I don't know what is.
Ford is not taking any responsibility. Who ever heard of not being able to rustproof a vehicle.
Can you give me a little more detail about the shroud? I have been thinking about 3d printing something to put around mine to try and solve the issues...

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
The center driveshaft bearing on my 2020 went bad and they tried to say it was from the Krown, but still put the new parts on and covered the repair even after they saw it had a level kit on it as well. Your service advisor is being a turd.

skipper146

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi. The shrould is just a piece of regtangle plastic like an open box that fits over the side of the sensor without wires.
The previious picture shows the sensor up close. underneath the writing is the intake for the sensor where the oil enters and contaminates the sensor.
I disconected the pressore sensor and replaced only it. The other part apperently never fails.
I'm not sure whty they send the line with both parts.
wish I had taken a picture of the new shroud before I installed the sensor.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I had my truck sprayed last Nov and I just had one of these sensors replaced. I crawled under the truck with the hose an sprayed best I could around an on top of the tank. Going through the dealer is a pain I'd replace it myself if it wasn't on top of the tank. I'm debating getting it applied again this year. If I do I'm going to tell him to stay clear of the gas tank area.

OP
OP
nightgardian

nightgardian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
I had my truck sprayed last Nov and I just had one of these sensors replaced. I crawled under the truck with the hose an sprayed best I could around an on top of the tank. Going through the dealer is a pain I'd replace it myself if it wasn't on top of the tank. I'm debating getting it applied again this year. If I do I'm going to tell him to stay clear of the gas tank area.
That was my problem, being on top I don't really have the right setup to drop the tank and change it myself where I am living now. My next step is to take this old one I have and get a shroud 3D printed that will cover it and keep anything like that from getting on it, while still keeping it open enough to let it do its job. Thats why I was so interested in Skippers post about their's already having it.

skipper146

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't have to drop the tank right down. Just remove the gas tank shroud and back off the front and rear gas tank straps leaving one full nut. This will allow the tank to be lowered enough to get your hands up there and undo the connectors that hold the sensor . Just do the fuel tank pressure sensor . If you take the new line and practice undoing the two connectors on the work bench it'll let you become familiar with how the two connectors work. Both are different connectors. Remember, there is no fuel in these lines only vapour . No need to drain the tank.
This sounds more complicated than it is. I'm sure the dealers are'nt removing the tank for this job.
Just jacking the left rear up and removing the tire gave me enough room to work. Also didn't need to remove or touch the drive shaft.
If you buy a new line/sensor assembly for fifty bucks you'll be able to see the new shrould that they came up with as a fix. Just make sure they don't sell you old stock without the shroud.

OP
OP
nightgardian

nightgardian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
You don't have to drop the tank right down. Just remove the gas tank shroud and back off the front and rear gas tank straps leaving one full nut. This will allow the tank to be lowered enough to get your hands up there and undo the connectors that hold the sensor . Just do the fuel tank pressure sensor . If you take the new line and practice undoing the two connectors on the work bench it'll let you become familiar with how the two connectors work. Both are different connectors. Remember, there is no fuel in these lines only vapour . No need to drain the tank.
This sounds more complicated than it is. I'm sure the dealers are'nt removing the tank for this job.
Just jacking the left rear up and removing the tire gave me enough room to work. Also didn't need to remove or touch the drive shaft.
If you buy a new line/sensor assembly for fifty bucks you'll be able to see the new shrould that they came up with as a fix. Just make sure they don't sell you old stock without the shroud.
The new one just went in 2 months ago and it didn't have the shroud on it :\ Starting to think they gave me an old stock.....

rozebud

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt fx4 CC- 2002 F250 super D 4x4
Occupation
retired
The new one just went in 2 months ago and it didn't have the shroud on it :\ Starting to think they gave me an old stock.....
I just read this entire thread. My truck is at the dealership as I speak waiting for a new fuel pressure sensor to arrive. I also have had my truck under coated twice in 2 years the last one being Oct. 2021 (crown) so far the dealer has said it is under warranty, but now Im wondering if they will change their mind and make me pay for it. I have also been told that over filling the gas tank will cause this same sensor to fail. what do you guys think??

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I just read this entire thread. My truck is at the dealership as I speak waiting for a new fuel pressure sensor to arrive. I also have had my truck under coated twice in 2 years the last one being Oct. 2021 (crown) so far the dealer has said it is under warranty, but now Im wondering if they will change their mind and make me pay for it. I have also been told that over filling the gas tank will cause this same sensor to fail. what do you guys think??
I would guess it depends on your dealer. I also had my truck treated twice at crown, no problems first year, second year i had the pressure sensor fail. Dealer changed it under warranty no problem. I had the crown sticker on window and they never mentioned anything about it causing the failure. Hopefully your dealer takes care of it under warranty for you too. If you have issues, maybe you could contact crown and explain the situation and maybe they could help. Good luck and hope you can get it fixed without any hassles. I like crown as it really does a pretty good job at preventing rust.

rozebud

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt fx4 CC- 2002 F250 super D 4x4
Occupation
retired
xlt and me...thanks for your reply. when i go to pick up my truck i will ask if the new sensor is a new improved one or not, if not then i can see having this same problem again. then when i get under coated again in november i will tell them NOT to spray above the gas tank and hope for the best. others on this forum have mentioned to not over fill the gas tank as that can cause the sensor to fail also.
Sponsored