First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Wow! The oil viscosities are sure taking a beating in these engines considering the low miles on the oil. Even Doc's with no apparent fuel dilution.

Are you guys changing your own oil? I would almost suspect some dealers are using 5w-20.

I'll be changing oil on my Ranger soon and plan on sending samples to Blackstone and WIX Labs. My oil level has been constant over 4,000 miles so I'm not really anticipating fuel contamination. I'll advise.
Mine is probably more diluted because my driving style..racing and sport mode only...3000 mile oil change for me and my wifes Mustang..
Regards
Sponsored

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed that catch can I was upset the first time I checked how much I was catching and it was almost full. I immediately checked the oil and it was just fine (no fuel odor or bad color). Interestingly, that first catch had a bunch of gunk in the mix that I haven't seen since. Anyway, I bought my Ranger in mid-February 2020 and have a lengthy commute every work day (50 mi). I'm at 28.5K and she is running awesome! I must say between the wife and I, we push this motor pretty good on the interstate daily!! If I don't hit 100mph at least once on the way home it's a bad day...lol I may get the Blackstone analysis done in the near future but I'm not too worried about the truck just based on how she is running. I would have thought I would see some sign of trouble by now if I had a fuel/oil issue. Just my opinion......

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
When I installed that catch can I was upset the first time I checked how much I was catching and it was almost full. I immediately checked the oil and it was just fine (no fuel odor or bad color). Interestingly, that first catch had a bunch of gunk in the mix that I haven't seen since. Anyway, I bought my Ranger in mid-February 2020 and have a lengthy commute every work day (50 mi). I'm at 28.5K and she is running awesome! I must say between the wife and I, we push this motor pretty good on the interstate daily!! If I don't hit 100mph at least once on the way home it's a bad day...lol I may get the Blackstone analysis done in the near future but I'm not too worried about the truck just based on how she is running. I would have thought I would see some sign of trouble by now if I had a fuel/oil issue. Just my opinion......
What does the dip stick smell like, I doubt if you will have problems due to your driving habits. Break in is important...
I do 100-120 mph push daily...motor loves it ..
Regards
Doc

Edit: I have a 10 mile stretch of highway between here and Town With good visibility, No other cars around. I drive to town in the morning for Coffee and coming back from town when the motor temp is right I nail it to 100 and then immediately back to 60 then repeat once. Keeps me and the truck happy...

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
-My first oil change at 1500miles because it was at the twist. A lot of short daily trips under couple miles. It didn't reek of gas to me, maybe a hint but its hard to tell with new oils today.

-From 1500-2200 miles, more short trips. Was at the dot in 700 miles, about the same level increase timeline as previous.

-2200-3200 (current) still at dot basically, maybe 1mm above it. Now I have a 30 mile one-way daily commute instead of 1 mile commute.

So far the extreme short trips was my issue, time will tell. I will keep an eye on it.
Doc, I think the short trips are my problem also and here in Minnesota during cold winters the problem gets worse. After my last oil change I put ~750 highway miles on and the dipstick showed zero rise in oil level. For the last ~250 miles it has been mostly driving around town and the oil level is rising again.

My town trips are long enough to get the engine temperature gauge in the normal operating range but the oil does not get heated up. I'm starting to think that the only solution to this is frequent oil changes for this truck.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Dip stick smells fine....I will say since I installed the catch can and basically "cracked open" the system, I get a fuel odor around the engine compartment in general. The mishimoto catch can is sealed well but I guess just capturing the fuel/oil mixture in the can creates the smell. I'm good with it though...smells like fun to power...lol. My Turbosmart dual port BOV was delivered today so now I get to hear that turbo exhaust swoosh sound. Doc you probably think that thing is completely unnecessary....:sunglasses:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Dip stick smells fine....I will say since I installed the catch can and basically "cracked open" the system, I get a fuel odor around the engine compartment in general. The mishimoto catch can is sealed well but I guess just capturing the fuel/oil mixture in the can creates the smell. I'm good with it though...smells like fun to power...lol. My Turbosmart dual port BOV was delivered today so now I get to hear that turbo exhaust swoosh sound. Doc you probably think that thing is completely unnecessary....:sunglasses:
I like to hear about mods, you give it its unigue personality !
I just run a crankcase breather and muffler/resonator delete...(Old School) :)

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
$30, and they provide the container and the shipping label to get the sample to them.

EDIT to add: If you want TBN, that's an extra charge.
I was lucky the dealer flipped the bill not that I wouldn't have paid for such service but grateful

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
You guys that have catch cans, in your opinion which is the best one to install?
If I had it to do over again....and there is always down the road....I would go with one of the UPR setups. For sure they have more capacity to catch fluids. I have to empty my 3.5 oz mishimoto can quite a bit. I do like my setup though, very easy install, fits nicely under the hood, and looks really nice. Also easy to access the can for dumping.

SomeJoDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Well after three lab reports from blackstone it appears the problem is mostly due to short drives. Here is a report the shows three checks. The first of and the the second showed to be high of the dipstick and strong smell of fuel. However the fuel was only at 1.3%. Certainly nothing to be alarmed about. The third report was after a long highway drive and the dipstick level dropped down to normal and the fuel dropped down to <.5%. So it appears to me the the dipstick is going to show high with just a little fuel dilution. And as long as the engine is driven occasionally on longer highway drives the fuel should burn off. A problem for me as my daily drive is only a few miles and don't get it out on the highway but 2 or 3 times a year at most. Will continue to keep an eye of the dipstick and try to do a longer highway drive every month or so or change the oil a little more frequently.
20 RANGER-201130.jpg

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Fuel wont burn off/out of diluted oil once it is fully blended. Water or moisture will boil off because it doesn't blend.
This can be noticed mainly in the reduction in flash point of the oil.

That one test someone posted where flash point was 285 with only 4.5% dilution has me worried. That's getting real close to oil temps that can be achieved in high load scenarios (towing).

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thankfully this is incorrect. The fuel hydrocarbons are more volatile, so they more readily move into the gas phase, even out of a mixture.
If this were the case it would evaporate out just sitting there and it wont.
Yes the fuel and oil mixture is more volatile. But no, it wont burn off and out. And anything that does burn off (because of the lower flash point) leaves behind a less than desirable contaminates.

It isn't the same as boiling the dissolved salt out of salt water.
Sponsored