Fuel in oil

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Read through this thread twice and then checked the oil in the truck and the car.

2019 Ranger 4500 miles. Royal Purple oil changed in the last 300 miles. Same level as when I changed the oil. Slight hint of maybe fuel. Feel and consistency is what I would expect with 5w30 full synthetic oil. Running Livernois Tune.

2014 Taurus SHO - 65k miles. Royal Purple changed in the last 1500 miles. Owned since new. Livernois tune, downpipes, and exhaust since 30k replace plugs more often than I should at 20k intervals. Oil smells extremely similar to the Ranger. Consistency is the same as well.

2015 F-150 - Stock - Work truck 3.5 twin. 110k miles - Company owned Driven since new - tows more than half of the time. Royal Purple oil. Oil is similar to the above.

Thread has me, aware of a possible issue. Ranger engine was built in July of 2019. I will keep and eye on the oil level and keep an eye on this thread. Interesting so far.
Rusty...…. My Man!!! 3 way boost, only way to Roll!!! Perfect point you've made here with three different Ford boosted products. If fuel is adding to the crank case then it's of a catastrophic nature hands down (Insert Capt'n obvious). These lil 4 bangers have been around awhile with Ford. Really haven't heard any complaints of this from the Eco Stang guys. They've been ripping into those engines for awhile now.
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Rusty...…. My Man!!! 3 way boost, only way to Roll!!! Perfect point you've made here with three different Ford boosted products. If fuel is adding to the crank case then it's of a catastrophic nature hands down (Insert Capt'n obvious). These lil 4 bangers have been around awhile with Ford. Really haven't heard any complaints of this from the Eco Stang guys. They've been ripping into those engines for awhile now.
I had a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost and that engine was *SOLID*. Don't forget that the Focus RS runs the same engine, tuned even higher (put out about 10-20% more power than the stock Mustang 2.3Ls. The only issues I ever saw were people tuning them improperly and a handful of "ecoboom" issues where one of the fuel sensors wasn't acting appropriately and leaning out the engine, but nearly exclusively on tuned engines only.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seeing this post has been dedicated to fuel oil (was having this discussion in the catch can post) thought I would include my most recent go round with this. Attached photo is what I drained out of my catch can after 500 miles. As i stated in the other post i was going to send it off and give you guys all the results. Needless to say the muck ( yes i said it again, muck) was pretty much gasoline and oil, with a bit of water. As you can see in the sample bottle oil on the bottom (if it was water or condensate, should not the oil be on top? Correct) well gasoline is lighter than oil so yes that bottle is pretty much 4oz's of gas and a couple oz's of oil. So for giggles sent it off to the lab (with an oil sample from the Ranger, 1200 miles factory oil). As you can see the oil sample also came back with dilution. But back to the CCV muck (dam said it again), the sample was so gasoline rich they did not want to run it through the GC Analyzer, the lab tech called me and said, number one, it was gasoline and number two it was pretty much, gasoline, so why run it unless I needed the molecular breakdown for super unleaded?

Needless to say I think a few of these little DI engines from Ford may have issues. I did change my oil and will sample again in 2000 miles. Will follow the post and see where the dealing with the dealership goes. Will be asking my local dealer for some follow up, and will post results as I get them.

Pete

20200118_063918.jpg
Not to be offensive, but is this your first catch can use? Looks normal to me. You should see inside any turbo intercooler. Boost only exacerbates the SCUM. Oil, Fuel, Moisture will atomize, this is the reason why automakers recycle this for burn off back in the intake. Catch cans are awesome to circumvent this action. Now if this is filling up after each time you take it for a spin. Well for sure there is a major problem. If your dumping it once a week or every other week... then no problem. Think of a catch can as a "Condenser" on a Moonshine Still. Converts vapor Moonshine into liquid Moonshine... Mmmmmm Ahhhhhh ooo soo good.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. Viscosity testing from the oil pan would be the only true test for dilution rate. However, even then the variables of how the engine was ran will ultimately have an impact on that. If it was ran like a lil 'ole lady with a huge breakdown in viscosity in a short period of time after the oil change. Yup, big problem. When I worked as an Engineer in the Semiconductor industry I would often sneak in an oil analysis with some of the Chem samples that we would pull from our wet cleaning systems. Never had a problem with Royal Purple on my Stang with 12lbs of boots many of an 8th mile weekend pulls when I lived in Canton texas down at Ceader Creek Raceway near Gun Barrel City Texas.
No offense at all, and been running catch cans of all shapes and sizes ( and engine configurations).
The biggest concern is oil dilution and trace gasoline in the oil, as I figure most vehicles oil should last more than 1200 miles with out being condemned. That is more the concern.
Been playing in this field for quite a few years.

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked my oil for the first since buying my Ranger 4 weeks ago..... It was only slightly over filled and I'd swear smelled like gas..... Hmmmmm.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I just checked my oil for the first since buying my Ranger 4 weeks ago..... It was only slightly over filled and I'd swear smelled like gas..... Hmmmmm.

Now check it again after it sits all night and let us know what you see...(or if you did that with this check, then check it after it sits for 15 minuted after driving it)

I still have hope its just the nature of the turbo/direct injection operation...Ford must not think its a problem based on their oil change intervals.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Changed my oil today and sent off sample to blackstone. Will post results when they return. Cheers

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Now check it again after it sits all night and let us know what you see...(or if you did that with this check, then check it after it sits for 15 minuted after driving it)

I still have hope its just the nature of the turbo/direct injection operation...Ford must not think its a problem based on their oil change intervals.
It is a problem, that amount of gas in the oil that raises the level in the crankcase above maximum is a big concern and Ford wont know if it's a problem till more people who have GAS in their oil complain. I don't know how many or how long it took GM to realize they had Gas in the oil problem with their 2.4 engines but they did

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Did you see my oil analysis results? Changing the oil from a 5w30 to a 0w30 in just 1800 miles of driving, while adding 1.5 quarts of gas to the crankcase, is completely unacceptable no matter what the cause. The Focus RS and the Mustang do not have this issue, which leads me to doubt it is excessive blowby. It is almost certainly leaking through the hpfp.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Not to be offensive, but is this your first catch can use? Looks normal to me. You should see inside any turbo intercooler. Boost only exacerbates the SCUM. Oil, Fuel, Moisture will atomize, this is the reason why automakers recycle this for burn off back in the intake. Catch cans are awesome to circumvent this action. Now if this is filling up after each time you take it for a spin. Well for sure there is a major problem. If your dumping it once a week or every other week... then no problem. Think of a catch can as a "Condenser" on a Moonshine Still. Converts vapor Moonshine into liquid Moonshine... Mmmmmm Ahhhhhh ooo soo good.
That definitely isn't normal catch can soup. Look at Mishimoto's testing of their catch can, they were very weirded out by the fact that the ranger's catch can caught virtually exclusively fuel. Compare that to any other vehicle's catch can, and it is almost exclusively oil. Including the 2.3 Ecoboost mustang and RS.

rmr76

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 (Daily), 1969 Chevy C10 (Weekend Toy)
Did you see my oil analysis results? Changing the oil from a 5w30 to a 0w30 in just 1800 miles of driving, while adding 1.5 quarts of gas to the crankcase, is completely unacceptable no matter what the cause. The Focus RS and the Mustang do not have this issue, which leads me to doubt it is excessive blowby. It is almost certainly leaking through the hpfp.
Could be. I frequented F150 forums when I had my 2014 F150 Tremor before getting my Ranger. Some of the earlier build (2011-2012) F150s with the 3.5 EcoBoost had this exact problem - a leaking HPFP dumping fuel into the oil. I never had that issue in mine fortunately. When I changed the oil on my Ranger the first time at about 2000 miles, I didn't notice a particularly strong fuel smell. I should check the level now and see where it's at now that I'm at almost 2000 miles on this oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30).

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT

Yes I saw it and no offense but I was hoping your condition is max bad...if that makes sense..worse case scenario..I mean based on the oil life monitor readings I see so far this thing will expect 10k oil changes lol...

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Yes I saw it and no offense but I was hoping your condition is max bad...if that makes sense..worse case scenario..I mean based on the oil life monitor readings I see so far this thing will expect 10k oil changes lol...
Yeah when I change my oil the oil life monitor is always 80% or higher, pretty laughable when you look at the oil analysis results... Lol

Da Ranger

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I mailed my test kit back yesterday and my case is still open with Ford Customer Care so I can send them the results.
Sponsored