First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Had a bit of an odd thing happen today. I was out getting groceries after work and stopped for gas with about a half a tank left. Filled up to the first click on the pump, got back in the truck, then noticed the fuel gauge was only between 3/4 and full. Thought maybe the pump just shut off early, but on the way home the gauge steadily crept up to full. Stopped at another station right before my house and it would only take less than a 1/2 gallon, so I'm inclined to think it was full the first time. It's been in the teens here in Detroit so I'm wondering if the sender was a little frozen? I'm not seeing many reported issues with that on here though.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Every vehicle I have owned has had a heavily damped fuel gauge that takes quite awhile to move to the full mark after a fill. They do this so the gauge needle isn't jumping around as fuel sloshes around in the tank. It likely has been doing this all along and you just never noticed.

TB-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Ford Sr Master Tech
Had a bit of an odd thing happen today. I was out getting groceries after work and stopped for gas with about a half a tank left. Filled up to the first click on the pump, got back in the truck, then noticed the fuel gauge was only between 3/4 and full. Thought maybe the pump just shut off early, but on the way home the gauge steadily crept up to full. Stopped at another station right before my house and it would only take less than a 1/2 gallon, so I'm inclined to think it was full the first time. It's been in the teens here in Detroit so I'm wondering if the sender was a little frozen? I'm not seeing many reported issues with that on here though.

TB-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Ford Sr Master Tech
If you leave the ignition on while refueling, that exact condition will occur.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering if the truck was running, but yes this
Hi Folks,

It is well known that Detroit City fuel molecules, like the City government are extremely slow....

best,
Phil

OP
OP

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
If you leave the ignition on while refueling, that exact condition will occur.
I think this might be the answer. I didn't have the truck running, but I cycled the key on for a few seconds during fueling to check the mileage which I don't usually do.

OP
OP

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Folks,

It is well known that Detroit City fuel molecules, like the City government are extremely slow....

best,
Phil
Hey, the fuel molecules around here know that you have to go slow otherwise you'll loose a wheel in a pothole!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I made a thread on this happening to me; turns out that is was an issue with the pump and how it seals with the type of filler neck on the truck. I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with your truck.

TB-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Ford Sr Master Tech
Also, If you don't add enough fuel (I believe it's somewhere around 15%), it will do the same thing.
Sponsored