Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
My RT Front proximity sensor starting going off for no reason this morning at low speed, even when in the middle of a parking lot.

I live in the U.P. of Michigan and did wash my truck yesterday but I checked and it was clear, no ice build up and can't figure out why except that maybe moisture froze in the connector somehow? I did bring it in the heated garage at work for about 30 minutes and that seemed to solve the issue.

Anyone else ever experience this or have any idea what my have caused it?

2019 FX4

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
It happens to me when they get covered with snow, like on Saturday. Stop, brush off the sensors and the ACC module and it was OK.

OP
OP
peterson1604

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
It happens to me when they get covered with snow, like on Saturday. Stop, brush off the sensors and the ACC module and it was OK.
That's what is odd, no snow, the vehicle was perfectly clean as I had just ran it through the car wash the night before.

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
I had one go off only once but I'm in Maine and it was covered with slush.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'd bet it was icing, maybe internally, from the wash the previous day.

Maybe just remember this and ask them to check it at your next service as a CYA?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My RT Front proximity sensor starting going off for no reason this morning at low speed, even when in the middle of a parking lot.

I live in the U.P. of Michigan and did wash my truck yesterday but I checked and it was clear, no ice build up and can't figure out why except that maybe moisture froze in the connector somehow? I did bring it in the heated garage at work for about 30 minutes and that seemed to solve the issue.

2019 FX4

Thanks,

Scott
Hi Scott,

It is possible you have a connector not properly seated, but not likely as water in a connector does not fix itself in 30 minutes in a heated garage. You likely had ice on the sensor...maybe just a thin coating but it does not take much...

Not rocket science, but when you do something and have an adverse reaction, it was likely a result of the prior action... Not much coincidence in the automotive field....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
peterson1604

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Scott,

It is possible you have a connector not properly seated, but not likely as water in a connector does not fix itself in 30 minutes in a heated garage. You likely had ice on the sensor...maybe just a thin coating but it does not take much...

Not rocket science, but when you do something and have an adverse reaction, it was likely a result of the prior action... Not much coincidence in the automotive field....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, as a former collision shop manager I understand how high tech today's newer vehicles are and how tight the tolerances can be. If people only understood what went into repairing a vehicle after a collision they would think twice about which shop they bring it to. Too many high-tech items to leave it to the backyard garage that has no calibration equipment or knowledge of proper OEM procedures to repair a vehicle correctly. I toured a shop a couple years ago and watched a guy weld on ultra high strength without any knowledge that he was compromising the metal structure. A lot of engineering expertise gone down the drain with that bone-headed mistake.

Which brings me back to the original post, you're right I should have checked for just a thin layer of ice on it knowing how finicky they can be at the shop.

Scott

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil, as a former collision shop manager I understand how high tech today's newer vehicles are and how tight the tolerances can be. If people only understood what went into repairing a vehicle after a collision they would think twice about which shop they bring it to. Too many high-tech items to leave it to the backyard garage that has no calibration equipment or knowledge of proper OEM procedures to repair a vehicle correctly. I toured a shop a couple years ago and watched a guy weld on ultra high strength without any knowledge that he was compromising the metal structure. A lot of engineering expertise gone down the drain with that bone-headed mistake.

Which brings me back to the original post, you're right I should have checked for just a thin layer of ice on it knowing how finicky they can be at the shop.

Scott
Hi Scott,

We used to call it Zamboning the windshield or something else in the car wash in low ambient temps. Amazing machines, those Zamboni....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase

2019 FX4

Thanks,

Scott
Same exact sensor on mine today after a carwash. I do the under body wash as needed, I did today early into my errands run, hoping the heat and wind would dry the truck better than a non heated garage. I would've waited until above freezing weather but I am having the level lift installed Wednesday morning and wanted the under carriage clean and dry. The sensor only went off at very low speed and at times nothing in front of me. I hit the cancel alarm button so I didn't notice if it did its normal beep in the garage. I will recheck tomorrow and advise.

Stevo56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2016 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Occupation
Retired
Same exact sensor on mine today after a carwash. I do the under body wash as needed, I did today early into my errands run, hoping the heat and wind would dry the truck better than a non heated garage. I would've waited until above freezing weather but I am having the level lift installed Wednesday morning and wanted the under carriage clean and dry. The sensor only went off at very low speed and at times nothing in front of me. I hit the cancel alarm button so I didn't notice if it did its normal beep in the garage. I will recheck tomorrow and advise.
Mine also does this after a car wash and below freezing temps. No obvious ice on sensors. I used a blow dryer on the sensor for 5-10 minutes and it goes away. Comes back after next wash. Going to contact dealer and see what the say. It's pretty annoying.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
at
Mine also does this after a car wash and below freezing temps. No obvious ice on sensors. I used a blow dryer on the sensor for 5-10 minutes and it goes away. Comes back after next wash. Going to contact dealer and see what the say. It's pretty annoying.
Have 11k on mine and its the 1st time its happened. I think it must freeze. I looked at the sensors when I got out and it didn't have ice on the outside. Last winter in a heavy wet snow my bumper got covered in snow every mile I drove, I just hit the silence button lol. Some of the sensors pop up on the screen in the middle of the carcass (not the touch less washes) and shut off as fast as they appear and haven't been on long enough to even beep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterson1604

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, it's annoying and about the only thing that bothers me except for the Sync system but that another post.

jjk2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport Extended Cab
Occupation
Retired
I have the exact same issue with the same right front sensor. My 2020 Lariet was purchased on January 7 and I'm at 600 miles. I suspect it's either snow or ice related. I typically clean it off better with my finger even though there is no real build up of ice or snow. If it continues, I'll inform my Ford dealer.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I have the exact same issue with the same right front sensor. My 2020 Lariet was purchased on January 7 and I'm at 600 miles. I suspect it's either snow or ice related. I typically clean it off better with my finger even though there is no real build up of ice or snow. If it continues, I'll inform my Ford dealer.
Mine is fine today.

GKramlich

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Military
Same for me this week. Snow on sensors was the cause.
Sponsored