VegasTrojan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Las Vegas, Nevada United States of America
Vehicle(s)
Planning on getting a truck.
Hi everybody. I'm in the market to buy a truck so I'm doing dome comparos. Looking for some feedback on front half shafts such as durability and problems after a lift. I would use the Ford performance Fox Shocks if I did. I see lots of half shaft probs, irregardless of brand, due to articulation after a lift. I see that Chevy offers Ball Spline Half Shafts for the ZR2. Is there anything like that for the Ranger? Thanks all.
Sponsored

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
None that I've seen yet. I think the Ranger is still in the "Honeymoon" period with serious aftermarket drivetrain upgrades like this. Maybe in the next few years as folks figure out the weak points of these trucks.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
As long as you are not trying to push crazy angles on any of the driveline parts you should be good. I have the Old Man EMU lift kit on my truck and sitting on the ground the CV axles only have a slight angle. I have also noticed my upper ball joints are right in the center of travel so they have plenty of room to move up and down. Now I have heard that the F series pickups will eat up the front drive shafts when the front axle gets a major drip from a big lift kit but other than that you should be good.

OP
OP
VegasTrojan

VegasTrojan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as you are not trying to push crazy angles on any of the driveline parts you should be good. I have the Old Man EMU lift kit on my truck and sitting on the ground the CV axles only have a slight angle. I have also noticed my upper ball joints are right in the center of travel so they have plenty of room to move up and down. Now I have heard that the F series pickups will eat up the front drive shafts when the front axle gets a major drip from a big lift kit but other than that you should be good.
Here in the Mojave desert you see a lot of f-150's and a few Rangers with bent or broken tie rods. ZR2s and Taco's not so much. Those ball spline half shafts can bend 90" at the joints under full power. Sure would like to see those for a Ranger.

OP
OP
VegasTrojan

VegasTrojan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None that I've seen yet. I think the Ranger is still in the "Honeymoon" period with serious aftermarket drivetrain upgrades like this. Maybe in the next few years as folks figure out the weak points of these trucks.
Don't want to wait that long.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
With parts like these half shafts and heavy duty cast iron a-arms, etc., even when I am not an off-roader, I might be driving a ZR-2.
Their Bandaid actions on their 8-Speed transmission for 5-6 years turned me off!
I cannot tell you how much I Love my new Ranger and do not regret my purchase At All!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Here in the Mojave desert you see a lot of f-150's and a few Rangers with bent or broken tie rods. ZR2s and Taco's not so much. Those ball spline half shafts can bend 90" at the joints under full power. Sure would like to see those for a Ranger.
If the Rangers are getting bent tie rods then someone is doing something they probably shouldn't. I have been through some rough terrain in My Ranger out here in the Colorado Rockies and it does just fine.

OP
OP
VegasTrojan

VegasTrojan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With parts like these half shafts and heavy duty cast iron a-arms, etc., even when I am not an off-roader, I might be driving a ZR-2.
Their Bandaid actions on their 8-Speed transmission for 5-6 years turned me off!
I cannot tell you how much I Love my new Ranger and do not regret my purchase At All!
I don't know of you ever saw what the result was for the tranny problem but it turns out it was the fluid. Needed a higher moisture content.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Maybe, but they went through many iterations of fixes: Different fluids, Torque Converters, Special Flush machinery and Processes, etc.
All this when they already had the Ford/Gm designed 10 Speed availlable. Anyways this went on for about 5-6 years.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I haven't yet heard of anyone breaking CVs on the new ranger. even a few guys running 35s that seem to be indicating no issues.

I believe I saw stage3motorsports replaced a CV, but it was just because they tore the boot on an object, no issues with the joint.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I cannot give you good advice on what happens after a lift but I can say going through some very rough terrain in my un-modded Ranger left me very impressed with its design. I've gone though many places where only two or three tires touch the ground and it still drives great. Obviously I've not gone full tilt through these areas and spotters helped me though the more sketchy coulees.
Sponsored