Front End Level With Coilovers Best Suited for Rear OEM Shock?

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I want to raise the front of my Tremor, by an inch or two. No, I do not want a spacer lift.

I do not want to sacrifice ride quality, suspension travel, or geometry.

Looking at the Fox catalog it looks like the 2.0 front option is:
985-02-133 Fox2.0 Front Coilovers 0-3" lift

Does anyone have this setup with the rear OEM shocks? How does it ride?

Should I grab UCAs as well?
Sponsored

amick1995

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Trenor
I want to raise the front of my Tremor, by an inch or two. No, I do not want a spacer lift.

I do not want to sacrifice ride quality, suspension travel, or geometry.

Looking at the Fox catalog it looks like the 2.0 front option is:
985-02-133 Fox2.0 Front Coilovers 0-3" lift

Does anyone have this setup with the rear OEM shocks? How does it ride?

Should I grab UCAs as well?
I would contact fox and ask them if those coils will raise the tremor any more than a regular ranger. The 0-3” is for a non tremor, and the tremor is lifted more than them from the factory.

OP
OP

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I would contact fox and ask them if those coils will raise the tremor any more than a regular ranger. The 0-3” is for a non tremor, and the tremor is lifted more than them from the factory.
Tremor has a .8" lift over a FX4.

Edit: this is Ford's marketing department bs.

Last edited:

amick1995

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor has a .8" lift over a FX4.
That’s for the total ground clearance, which is measured at the rear differential. The 0.8” of additional ground clearance stated by ford is from the larger tires, not the suspension change in the front.

OP
OP

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
That’s for the total ground clearance, which is measured at the rear differential. The 0.8” of additional ground clearance stated by ford is from the larger tires, not the suspension change in the front.
Are you sure? Everything that I've read and multiple reviews state .8" is from the suspension.

amick1995

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure? Everything that I've read and multiple reviews state .8" is from the suspension.
I’m positive that the 0.8” ground clearance that ford says the tremor has is not from the suspension. The only way to raise the ground clearance is to raise the diff, and the only way to do that is with larger tires.

Rear suspension lifts don’t change how high the diff or axle sit above the ground.

From what I can recall from reading on here, the tremor front suspension sits between 1”-2” higher than a FX4, but I may be wrong.

I do know that when I talked to fox with the same question they pointed me in the direction of a 2.5 coilover that was different from the standard ones listed on sites like stage 3 as fitting the ranger.

amick1995

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Alec,

Your Tremor is already lifted on the front end with the Fox coil overs - about a 2” front end lift from the stock Ranger. If you want your Tremor to be 2” higher than it already is, you’re moving into an area that is above the 3” level for a stock Ranger. You can do it with the appropriate lift kit but at that height, you’ll need UCAs and your CV angles would be pretty steep. Go too high, and you’ll also need a front diff drop.

I guess the question is, “What’s driving the desire to raise things that much?” Are you looking for an overall 3”+ lift (fr & rr) so you can fit 33s or bigger? Are you simply looking to level out the Tremor’s slight rake?

OP
OP

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Alec,

Your Tremor is already lifted on the front end with the Fox coil overs - about a 2” front end lift from the stock Ranger. If you want your Tremor to be 2” higher than it already is, you’re moving into an area that is above the 3” level for a stock Ranger. You can do it with the appropriate lift kit but at that height, you’ll need UCAs and your CV angles would be pretty steep. Go too high, and you’ll also need a front diff drop.

I guess the question is, “What’s driving the desire to raise things that much?” Are you looking for an overall 3”+ lift (fr & rr) so you can fit 33s or bigger? Are you simply looking to level out the Tremor’s slight rake?
I'm looking to level it without compromising on performance. I want about an inch of rake.

Good point about the UCAs. They are the same on the Tremor as a standard FX4.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
The tremor fox shocks are different then the ford performance fox kit. On the tremor they are not adjustable, they have slightly different tuning.
Well how about that. I wonder why they went that route. I’m guessing the almighty dollar.

OP
OP

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
“Compared to base Ranger, Tremor is raised 20mm (approximately 0.8 inches) at the front and rear. That lift is accomplished through the redesigned springs,” Andrew Surma, Ford Motor Company Truck Communications Coordinator, told Ford Authority in a statement. Those redesigned springs are just one of many components that help make the 2021 Ford RangerTremor the most off-road-capable factory-built Ranger ever offered in the U.S.

ension-recovery-hook-spare-wheel-and-tire-1024x556.jpg

The Ranger Tremor package also includes redesigned front knuckles and 32 inch Continental General Grabber A/TX all-terrain tires mounted on new 17 inch Magnetic-painted wheels, as well as Fox 2.0 monotube dampers with remote rear reservoirs and hydraulic rebound stops. Rounding out the suspension mods are a multi-leaf rear spring setup and anti-roll bars with reduced stiffness.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/2021-ford-ranger-tremor-suspension-lift-details-revealed/

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/09/14/ford-ranger-tremor.html

The FX4s Hankooks are 31" diameter exactly. The Grabbers are 31.6"

That's only a .3" lift. So maybe the Tremor suspension is only .5" taller.

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking to level it without compromising on performance. I want about an inch of rake.

Good point about the UCAs. They are the same on the Tremor as a standard FX4.
Hey Alec,

Given what you’re after, if you swap the existing front coil overs for Fox 2.0 adjustable coil overs set at their max. (3”), you will maintain the same suspension performance. You will raise the front end more and reduce the rake. You’ll also keep it in the zone where UCA replacement, while still a good idea, isn’t necessary.

Out of the box, Fox 2.0s are set at 2” - when you speak to Fox, confirm that and ask what the existing Tremor coil overs are set at. If they are a lot less than 2”, you might be able to achieve what you want with the Fox 2.0s out of the box without adjusting them or you may only need to adjust them to 2-1/2”, which is better than 3” when it comes to upper ball joint and CV axle angles. Anyway, I think you get the idea and you’ll figure out the math based on the feedback from Fox.

After your swap out, you could likely find a buyer for your old front coil overs here in the Member Marketplace. Good Luck with this change.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Well how about that. I wonder why they went that route. I’m guessing the almighty dollar.
I’m guessing the almighty dollar, but not simply for cost savings.

Ford’s engineers might only be comfortable, from a warranty and safety standpoint, at a maximum 2” front lift and have locked in these coil overs at that height.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the reason FOX sets theirs at 2” out of the box.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I'm an automotive engineer btw.

Measuring ride height is totally subjective and varies wildly manufacturer to manufacturer.

I measure ground clearance based on the lowest part of the frame, which I think is the transfer case cross member? I wouldn't count the rear pumpkin in ground clearance. Suspension does effect frame height.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll contact Fox.
Clearance is the lowest part of the truck, not the lowest part of the frame.
Sponsored