Front Camera for 2019 Ford Ranger Xl

Stewart Long

I have an extra back-up camera for a trailer with a 22' cable and a 7" monitor and I want to use it when I move my trailers around in my very close quarters up by my garage.

I have a trailer hitch on the front of the truck and want just use the camera when I move the trailers and mount the camera down in the large opening going into the radiator and then just mount the monitor on the top of the dash for the time that I need to do this job.

My problem is running the cable through the firewall with the 2 RCA connectors on one end and the barrel connector for the camera on the other end and all that extra cable.

I've read suggestions of going through the wiring harness boot that has the hood release cable going through it or the steering column boot, but I just don't want to drill that big of a hole to thread either end through into the cab and up under the dash.

Any suggestions on where I can get shorter cable or how I can run a jumper through the firewall with smaller ends to minimize the diameter of the hole in the boot or the firewall.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I have an extra back-up camera for a trailer with a 22' cable and a 7" monitor and I want to use it when I move my trailers around in my very close quarters up by my garage.

I have a trailer hitch on the front of the truck and want just use the camera when I move the trailers and mount the camera down in the large opening going into the radiator and then just mount the monitor on the top of the dash for the time that I need to do this job.

My problem is running the cable through the firewall with the 2 RCA connectors on one end and the barrel connector for the camera on the other end and all that extra cable.

I've read suggestions of going through the wiring harness boot that has the hood release cable going through it or the steering column boot, but I just don't want to drill that big of a hole to thread either end through into the cab and up under the dash.

Any suggestions on where I can get shorter cable or how I can run a jumper through the firewall with smaller ends to minimize the diameter of the hole in the boot or the firewall.

Thanks.
You could do this...
YJDblFt.jpg

Do post images of your install...I'm planning on a future front camera setup too...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
cut off the rca connectors, run the cables, put new connectors on. they're pretty simple.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why don't you use the upper console and grab some 12 volt from there? I ran my camera cable under the headliner down the a-pillar on the left side up and over using the left 12-volt receptacle. Since I now like the camera I want to tap 12V from the upper console to run the camera. I bought a cheap AUKEY Camera to test ...Since it works as advertised, I decided to keep it.$40 well spent.

unnamed (4039).jpg

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Thanks.
To answer a few other members questions, can you tell everyone what you did for a front hitch?

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Thought of a cheap RCA transmitter/receiver?
Sponsored