Forscan does not detect PCM

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
Good afternoon all,

I have been trying tirelessly to get Forscan to work. Every time I connect it detects the truck and then says connection to vehicle has been established, but then comes up with a message saying If PCM has a custom tune installed, please enter strategy/calibration name or part number of Factory PCM. I haven't had any tuning done and I put in the Factory PCM number that I got from the dealer but it still does not detect it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
If you bought it new and no tune is installed then it sounds like the dealer gave you the wrong information. Maybe ask around in the regional section for someone with a tuner and see if they will meet up and connect it to verify the PCM information.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
My question is, did you buy the truck new, or used?

I actually got asked a few questions by my local dealer, mainly because they've never "tuned" a Ranger. If I understood what was explained to me, the vehicle in question came up with the same display. In other words, no tune! This said, if it was used, perhaps at one time it did!

OP
OP
Overland395

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
My question is, did you buy the truck new, or used?

I actually got asked a few questions by my local dealer, mainly because they've never "tuned" a Ranger. If I understood what was explained to me, the vehicle in question came up with the same display. In other words, no tune! This said, if it was used, perhaps at one time it did!
Not used, bought it brand new.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Delete profile, reconnect as new vehicle, then save.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
None? The procedure is this: Download the new programming. Save the existing program. Then upload to the new programming. I have to assume you did that?

OP
OP
Overland395

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
None? The procedure is this: Download the new programming. Save the existing program. Then upload to the new programming. I have to assume you did that?
It won't even let me connect to the truck to download the existing programming.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This whole thread is a bit confusing! You are trying to connect Forscan to your truck, right? Because it sounds more like your trying to connect a tuner to it. Forscan will not let you download programing from or to the PCM. It is strictly for changing various settings in certain modules. Forscan is a program you download to your Windows PC and take out an extended license to make changes. The first time you connect it downloads information on your truck and creates a profile.

Is this what your trying to do??

OP
OP
Overland395

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
This whole thread is a bit confusing! You are trying to connect Forscan to your truck, right? Because it sounds more like your trying to connect a tuner to it. Forscan will not let you download programing from or to the PCM. It is strictly for changing various settings in certain modules. Forscan is a program you download to your Windows PC and take out an extended license to make changes. The first time you connect it downloads information on your truck and creates a profile.

Is this what your trying to do??
Yes that is what I am doing. When I connect the OBD cable to the truck I’m trying to connect with Forscan for the first time use and it comes up with that message.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Yes that is what I am doing. When I connect the OBD cable to the truck I’m trying to connect with Forscan for the first time use and it comes up with that message.
Interesting, I was never asked those questions. It simply found my truck and asked if I wanted to use that profile. I said yes and it scanned for all my modules. Sorry can't be of any help.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I didn't return my truck to stock an forscan connected an worked fine for what I did with the Livernois tune installed. are you using a bluetooth obd connection or a physical cable? I've heard of people having problems with the wireless.

OP
OP
Overland395

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
I didn't return my truck to stock an forscan connected an worked fine for what I did with the Livernois tune installed. are you using a bluetooth obd connection or a physical cable? I've heard of people having problems with the wireless.
This is a physical connection.

OP
OP
Overland395

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
Interesting, I was never asked those questions. It simply found my truck and asked if I wanted to use that profile. I said yes and it scanned for all my modules. Sorry can't be of any help.
Thanks Lee. I stumbled across a forscan thread that stated that a windows 10 machine having a compatibility issue and they tried a windows XP machine and it worked. Not sure, but I will keep trying. ;)
Sponsored