Ford Wheels

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I will apologize from the start for asking an Explorer question here, but I don't belong to a website devoted to the vehicle. While washing the car about three weeks ago, I noticed that it looked like the "paint" had started coming off of the wheels of our 2018 Explorer Platinum. The service manager agreed with me, took pictures and sent them to Ford. New wheels were authorized and we're getting them put on Friday. Since the wheels of my Ranger Lariat have a similar look, I would like to know if anyone here has ever seen this problem. Also, does anyone know if Ford manufactures their wheels or do they source them to the lowest bidder? Are our "new" wheels likely to be new or refurbished? Again, thanks to anyone who might respond.
Ed
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Cap, I wouldn't be surprised if the wheels were made in China, but I haven't heard of any problems. I'm sure they are new wheels.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will apologize from the start for asking an Explorer question here, but I don't belong to a website devoted to the vehicle. While washing the car about three weeks ago, I noticed that it looked like the "paint" had started coming off of the wheels of our 2018 Explorer Platinum. The service manager agreed with me, took pictures and sent them to Ford. New wheels were authorized and we're getting them put on Friday. Since the wheels of my Ranger Lariat have a similar look, I would like to know if anyone here has ever seen this problem. Also, does anyone know if Ford manufactures their wheels or do they source them to the lowest bidder? Are our "new" wheels likely to be new or refurbished? Again, thanks to anyone who might respond.
Ed
Hi Ed,

Wheels are likely not made by Ford but a supplier, of whom I do not know for either your Exploder or your Ranger. If Ford authorized new wheels, that is what you will get. Have the dealer show you the actual authorization if you suspect refurbished. Ford has many criteria for sourcing, with part cost being part of it, but capacity and process capability are more key than cost. I am not aware here on these Forums of any systemic wheel finish problem...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Hi Ed,

Wheels are likely not made by Ford but a supplier, of whom I do not know for either your Exploder or your Ranger. If Ford authorized new wheels, that is what you will get. Have the dealer show you the actual authorization if you suspect refurbished. Ford has many criteria for sourcing, with part cost being part of it, but capacity and process capability are more key than cost. I am not aware here on these Forums of any systemic wheel finish problem...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks, Mr. Phil, for the information. I'm not expecting refurbished wheels, but they would be okay if done properly. I'll give an update after Friday.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Mr. Phil, for the information. I'm not expecting refurbished wheels, but they would be okay if done properly. I'll give an update after Friday.
Good Luck!