2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Well instead of begging a middle east country to pump more crude in the future will be begging the Chinese to provide us more lithium. So much for energy independence.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well instead of begging a middle east country to pump more crude in the future will be begging the Chinese to provide us more lithium. So much for energy independence.
Oh it gets even better. They also signed an agreement in Indonesia & China for a Nickel Plant. :rolleyes:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/vale-indonesia-chinas-huayou-sign-134135923.html

Nickel miner Vale Indonesia, China's Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt and U.S. car maker Ford Motor signed a non-binding memorandum of cooperation to build a plant in Indonesia to extract nickel chemicals, Vale said in a statement on Thursday.

The companies plan to create a partnership to build a plant to produce 120,000 tonnes per annum of mixed hydroxide precipitate, material extracted from nickel ore that would be used in batteries for electric vehicles.

Vale said the new partnership with Ford will be built on its framework agreement with Huayou, signed in April. Under the April agreement, Huayou will develop the project in Southeast Sulawesi and Vale will have rights to acquire up to a 30% stake in the project.

"This three-way relationship is a creative way to secure the nickel Ford needs to help deliver millions of EVs for our customers and it keeps our environmental, social and governance goals front and center in the process," Lisa Drake, Ford's vice president of EV industrialization, said in the statement.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The US is short on some raw materials - such as nickel, lead, zinc. Years back I had a townhome in Breckenridge up Boreas Pass Road, could hike to the top of Baldy Mtn where there was an old ore processing mill with a tram to a mine up there, several guys were working the old mine and I asked if they were mining gold or silver - they replied no, it was more profitable to mine nickel and zinc deposits.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
600000 isn't a huge problem for a vehicle with a lot less parts that an equivalent ICE vehicle.
It is when every other manufacturer is doing the same, you're going to have MILLIONS of EV's being produced. Especially when there's only so many sources for the components like Lithium and Nickel. You can't just go farm stuff like that out anywhere as there's only so many places in the world that produce them. Now add in all the microchips, transmissions, suspensions and every other moving part it'll be no different than what we're dealing with now because of the volume trying to be made.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
If only I were smart and rich enough to have invested in reclamation technology.
Someday it's gonna be bigger than "plastics" (The Graduate reference for the geezers among us).

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I'll pass.
Well, the article did say this:

Ford said it has a plan to source 40 gigawatt hours of those batteries annually in North America in 2026, but will initially import them from China.
Which seems like a logical approach to begin with. It almost sounds like Ford may be starting to go back to its roots and source more parts internally that rely on suppliers. Maybe the last few years has changed thinking....
Sponsored