Ford Ranger Receives KBB's 5-Year Cost to Own Award (Most Affordable Truck in Class)

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
FORD SWEEPS PICKUP CATEGORIES FOR KELLEY BLUE BOOK 5-YEAR COST TO OWN AWARD, RANGER AND F-150 TAKE HOME HONORS

2021-Ford-Ranger-Lariat-Tremor-2.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., April 28, 2021 – Ford swept the pickup categories in the influential Kelley Blue Book 5-Year Cost to Own Awards. Ford Ranger and the all-new 2021 Ford F-150 have both been named the most affordable trucks in their class over the course of a five-year ownership period.

This accolade recognizes vehicles with the lowest projected ownership costs over the initial five-year ownership period and considers depreciation, expected fuel costs, finance and insurance fees, maintenance and repair costs, and state fees. The Kelley Blue Book award, well-regarded amongst truck customers, highlights the longstanding Built Ford Tough tradition of exceptionally capable pickups that serve the needs of their owners without breaking the bank.
Sponsored

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
How can they give an award for best five-year cost to a vehicle that has been in production for only three years? That's some serious projection guesswork.
I haven't read the article. Could they be cheating and including a couple years of the ROW ranger?

It also says "projected cost" so it sounds like there's some educated guesswork in there to begin with though.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I haven't read the article. Could they be cheating and including a couple years of the ROW ranger?

It also says "projected cost" so it sounds like there's some educated guesswork in there to begin with though.
ROW Ranger can't be considered, as it doesn't have the same engine. I think the engine is the most likely point of expensive failure, so I hope that KBB's optimism is more than wishful thinking.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
ROW Ranger can't be considered, as it doesn't have the same engine. I think the engine is the most likely point of expensive failure, so I hope that KBB's optimism is more than wishful thinking.
Aww shit, forgot that the other countries get that little diesel bugger.

Mustang then? The 2.3 in this truck is the base option in the Mustang but retuned isn't it?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV

Mustang then? The 2.3 in this truck is the base option in the Mustang but retuned isn't it?

Supposedly, this 2.3 is most closely related to the Focus RS version.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

Yep, the 2.3 has been in use since 2015 so there's plenty of data on it.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
That’s great to hear. Someone please post this on the Taco forum lol. The same people who rail on about muh dependability, and post source after source from auto rags, will be the same ones saying “but it’s just guessing.”

If there is such thing as a cult when it comes to auto manufacturers, some Taco owners would definitely fit that category.

Toyota doesn’t have to innovate. It’s just the Toyota badge that sells their Taco.

I once worked with a gentleman that raved about Toyotas, and it’s all he would buy. Well, from time to time he would show up and not have his trusty Tacoma. So I’d inquire and it was always “oh my wife is borrowing it” or something or another. He wouldn’t shut the fuck up how indestructible Toyota as a brand is. Guy used to use his favorite line of “terrorists use the Toyota Hilux in the Middle East. They can take extreme abuse” bla bla bla.

One day just out of curiosity I ran his VIN into a website that checks for auto work done, recalls, accidents etc. basically what popped up from a local Toyota dealer showed tons of engine work, suspension work, electrical issues etc. I showed the other guys at work the long list of work done on it and we all had a laugh and kept it as an inside joke.

seriously, some Taco owners are down right insufferable.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger owner seeing news like this: "See! That's what I'm talkin about!"

Taco owner seeing this: "How much did Ford pay for this article"

Fiat ram owner: "I'll read the article while I'm waiting in the serv dept."

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
That’s great to hear. Someone please post this on the Taco forum lol. The same people who rail on about muh dependability, and post source after source from auto rags, will be the same ones saying “but it’s just guessing.”

If there is such thing as a cult when it comes to auto manufacturers, some Taco owners would definitely fit that category.

Toyota doesn’t have to innovate. It’s just the Toyota badge that sells their Taco.

I once worked with a gentleman that raved about Toyotas, and it’s all he would buy. Well, from time to time he would show up and not have his trusty Tacoma. So I’d inquire and it was always “oh my wife is borrowing it” or something or another. He wouldn’t shut the fuck up how indestructible Toyota as a brand is. Guy used to use his favorite line of “terrorists use the Toyota Hilux in the Middle East. They can take extreme abuse” bla bla bla.

One day just out of curiosity I ran his VIN into a website that checks for auto work done, recalls, accidents etc. basically what popped up from a local Toyota dealer showed tons of engine work, suspension work, electrical issues etc. I showed the other guys at work the long list of work done on it and we all had a laugh and kept it as an inside joke.

seriously, some Taco owners are down right insufferable.
I know the Subaru version of that guy. Y'all Subaru owners leave me alone, his Subaru is sweet, I just meant that he won't shut the fuck up about it.

I only talk about Amber if someone else brings her up because I cannot stand gloating. usually. ;)

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
What about factoring in all the Mods? :):):)

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Well this can’t be true. Did they figure in the costs of all the mods that Ranger owners tend to do?

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
Between us Ranger owners.... I question the validity of the data as no one has been driving for the past year. As such any forecasted costs are skewed and unreliable. Granted it is the same for all brands, but if consumers were driving to normal levels, it could have a very different outcome.

That said, we should still whip this out and flash it to the Taco cultists!
Sponsored