Ford Ranger Lifts 2" Tremor Lift

Did you remove the Axle Nut when installing your spacer lift for fear of damaging the CV Joint?

• Total voters

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
I have a 2021 Ranger Tremor and have purchased the Ranger Lifts 2" Tremor spacer kit. Have heard of some issues and debates about whether to loosen axle nut or not and some damaged CV joints when not doing it.

So I figured a pole might help me see how real the risk is. Thanks for participating.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So the trimmer itself is already 2 in higher than a nun trimmer Ranger. If you go any higher than 1 in you are going to be putting the CV axles at a high risk of finding and possible breaking. My Ranger has the old man emu lift which is 2.4 front and 1.6 rear so technically it is a little bit higher than the tremor but the CV axles are still within a respectable range to where I don't have the risk. That is something you need to consider before you do that. Also just putting a spacer kit up front is not a lift it is only a leveling kit which is pretty silly to have for a truck if you ask me

OP
OP
RBTremor

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the trimmer itself is already 2 in higher than a nun trimmer Ranger. If you go any higher than 1 in you are going to be putting the CV axles at a high risk of finding and possible breaking. My Ranger has the old man emu lift which is 2.4 front and 1.6 rear so technically it is a little bit higher than the tremor but the CV axles are still within a respectable range to where I don't have the risk. That is something you need to consider before you do that. Also just putting a spacer kit up front is not a lift it is only a leveling kit which is pretty silly to have for a truck if you ask me
Thanks for your feedback and opinions. I have heard the concern about CVs binding, but I have also heard that it is not a concern and people haven't had issues. I opted for a Tremor so I wouldn't have to upgrade the mechanics, the Tremor is awesomely tuned and handles amazing on and off the road so far.

I am aware that what I am calling a 2" spacer lift is not really a lift, but it really is a lift,....even if you want to just call it a level, which it is a level. What it is not, is a suspension upgrade, but I dont need a suspension upgrade because I already have have Fox 2.0 on the Tremor so I just need a lift. :cool: So technically I am installing a 2" "lift" to "Level" my truck (and give more tire clearance) but not upgrading the suspension. Just curious if wanting the look of a level vehicle is "Silly" than why would your OME suspension be 2.4 in the front and only 1.6 in the rear, Just asking.
Thanks

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for your feedback and opinions. I have heard the concern about CVs binding, but I have also heard that it is not a concern and people haven't had issues. I opted for a Tremor so I wouldn't have to upgrade the mechanics, the Tremor is awesomely tuned and handles amazing on and off the road so far.

I am aware that what I am calling a 2" spacer lift is not really a lift, but it really is a lift,....even if you want to just call it a level, which it is a level. What it is not, is a suspension upgrade, but I dont need a suspension upgrade because I already have have Fox 2.0 on the Tremor so I just need a lift. :cool: So technically I am installing a 2" "lift" to "Level" my truck (and give more tire clearance) but not upgrading the suspension. Just curious if wanting the look of a level vehicle is "Silly" than why would your OME suspension be 2.4 in the front and only 1.6 in the rear, Just asking.
Thanks
So the only main difference mechanically on the tremor is the suspension. The CV axles were not made different for that particular model. That is why you run a risk of binding and breaking if only doing a space lift by that much with a tremor. If you were doing a diff drop it wouldnt be quite as bad.

As for the Old Man EMU it still keeps the rake in the truck when not loaded wich is what trucks are supposed to have. See the following picrue for reference.(please note you can install the Old Man EMU kit on your tremor but you would be at the same height I am at so no point in doing so if you as me)

0529211359a_HDR.jpg

Gr8Hortoni

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, int in a 5G
Occupation
Trucking
O
Ok, so first off, no. The tremor rides .8” higher in the front than a standard Ranger, to allow the 265s to properly clear, 2nd, you can go up to 3” higher on a standard ranger & 2” on a tremor before you start to compromise cv joint angles. All you’ve accomplished is trying to state why OME is better, and it isn’t working.

The rake is easily corrected with a 1” block in the rear.

In response to the original question asked, follow the steps EXACTLY as FRL gives and you won’t have issues. We tried to shortcut the drivers side and it took 2 1/2 hours vs 30-45 minutes on passenger side following directions to a T.

Below is 2” FRL with a 1” Eibach rear block.
72278401-BC7B-4FCE-BFEE-EF4F03EBDC7B.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
O

Ok, so first off, no. The tremor rides .8” higher in the front than a standard Ranger, to allow the 265s to properly clear, 2nd, you can go up to 3” higher on a standard ranger & 2” on a tremor before you start to compromise cv joint angles. All you’ve accomplished is trying to state why OME is better, and it isn’t working.

The rake is easily corrected with a 1” block in the rear.

In response to the original question asked, follow the steps EXACTLY as FRL gives and you won’t have issues. We tried to shortcut the drivers side and it took 2 1/2 hours vs 30-45 minutes on passenger side following directions to a T.

Below is 2” FRL with a 1” Eibach rear block.
72278401-BC7B-4FCE-BFEE-EF4F03EBDC7B.jpeg
I'm not stating why telling me is considered better. Also the Tremor has all the same mechanical components with the exception of front and rear shocks along with front and rear springs of a non trim Ranger. Yes the rear is lifted by a very little bit and you're not wrong about that. The front is also raised by 2 in compared to a factory Ranger. But I'm simply stating which is true is that if you add an extra 2 in upfront on a Tremor package Ranger you have a total of 4 in of lift up front from the factory compared to a non Tremor Ranger and because of that you will actually cause CV angle finding problem. You may not want to believe it but it is the truth. That is why I came onto this thread to begin with. Why did I bring in the old man emu? Simply as example of how it's still Within a manageable amount for a CV angles aren't compromised. Yes there are other kits that still allow the CV axles to be within okay ranges but adding a 2in spacer kit to the front of a trimmer without a diff drop is asking for big problems.

Gr8Hortoni

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, int in a 5G
Occupation
Trucking
Where do you get the additional 2”?
This is directly from Ford. Exactly the reason FRL only offers a 2” for the tremor and it’s specifically stated on RC that the 2.5-3” will not work on a tremor. What’s your source on the height difference?
BB1867D6-CA38-4C27-B8C5-68F3319EEC60.jpeg

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Back to the poll question. It only takes a minute to spin the nut off the axle and knock it loose with a dead blow, one minute to spin it back on and torque. A 4 minute investment to eliminate the question/concern of over extending the CV joints is a no brainer in my book.

OP
OP
RBTremor

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not stating why telling me is considered better. Also the Tremor has all the same mechanical components with the exception of front and rear shocks along with front and rear springs of a non trim Ranger. Yes the rear is lifted by a very little bit and you're not wrong about that. The front is also raised by 2 in compared to a factory Ranger. But I'm simply stating which is true is that if you add an extra 2 in upfront on a Tremor package Ranger you have a total of 4 in of lift up front from the factory compared to a non Tremor Ranger and because of that you will actually cause CV angle finding problem. You may not want to believe it but it is the truth. That is why I came onto this thread to begin with. Why did I bring in the old man emu? Simply as example of how it's still Within a manageable amount for a CV angles aren't compromised. Yes there are other kits that still allow the CV axles to be within okay ranges but adding a 2in spacer kit to the front of a trimmer without a diff drop is asking for big problems.
You are incorrect about the differences in a Tremor and a Standard Ranger......
"The Ranger Tremor's suspension features stronger upper and lower front control arms separated by a revised knuckle plus 2.0-inch Fox dampers at all four corners." Ground clearance amounts to a decent 9.7 inches, which is 0.8-inch more than the standard truck's. Front and rear suspension travel—6.5 and 8.1 inches, respectively—are up slightly over regular four-wheel-drive Rangers

Thats from Ford itself.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Where do you get the additional 2”?
This is directly from Ford. Exactly the reason FRL only offers a 2” for the tremor and it’s specifically stated on RC that the 2.5-3” will not work on a tremor. What’s your source on the height difference?
BB1867D6-CA38-4C27-B8C5-68F3319EEC60.jpeg
Alright so after taking some time I do stand corrected but I could sworn that when the Tremor was being released the front was being raise by 2 inches with the Fox shocks. If anything its by a smaller amount(more like .9 at best). Obviously the bigger tires make a difference as well. Now if improvement for offroad was the goal then go a different route with the suspension but clearly not what the OP wants and let's face it, if you bought a Tremor you are not looking to modify it that much anyways.

Now back onto the main subject. As @Dgc333 stated it is well worth taking the axle nut off so you do not damage the CV axle itself. If it comes apart it can be a problem and others on here have had said problem.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You are incorrect about the differences in a Tremor and a Standard Ranger......
"The Ranger Tremor's suspension features stronger upper and lower front control arms separated by a revised knuckle plus 2.0-inch Fox dampers at all four corners." Ground clearance amounts to a decent 9.7 inches, which is 0.8-inch more than the standard truck's. Front and rear suspension travel—6.5 and 8.1 inches, respectively—are up slightly over regular four-wheel-drive Rangers

Thats from Ford itself.
The funny thing is the ground clearance is ony at the rear diff. As for travel they dont state what the non tremor ranger is so that part does have me a little curious but also looking at the specifications on the Ford website recently the overall height is roughly 1.7 inches higher(combination of tires and suspension of course).

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Back to the poll question. It only takes a minute to spin the nut off the axle and knock it loose with a dead blow, one minute to spin it back on and torque. A 4 minute investment to eliminate the question/concern of over extending the CV joints is a no brainer in my book.
I completely agree with this. I did spacers without disconnecting the axles back in 2019 and came close to killing one CV joint. Did an Old Man Emu strut/spring combo this month, and there was no way to do it without disconnecting the axles. Even then I either created or found (no way to tell) a CV boot tear trying to do it at first without disconnecting. Well now I have an awesome OME lift and a brand spanking new passenger side axle, lol. (I'll rebuild the old one and keep it as a spare.)
Sponsored