Ford Ranger Documentation Books

Discussion in 'Maintenance - Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing' started by pa-fatboy, Jan 6, 2020.

1. pa-fatboy

pa-fatboy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
    Garage Profiles:
    How many of you keep track of the expenses associated with your Ranger? It could be maintenance work, repairs, upgrades.. what do you track and what is your system?

2. FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
    I always have big plans to be super organized and keep everything in order, write down mileage, etc but it really just always ends up in a file folder all together. For my past heavily modified vehicles I kept binders with everything in order. I sell auto parts for a living so all my maintenance stuff is on file through my account for work.

3. AzScorpion

AzScorpion Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
    I use the Fuelly app to keep track of my gas and you also log in your maintenance in the app too. For any mods like tires and level kit I just keep that in my file cabinet in a file labeled Ranger. The Fordpass app has all your info stored there if you use the dealer for any maintenance or service.

Trey1940 and Nutty 5.0 like this.
  4. John Lyman

John Lyman Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
    Garage Profiles:
    I try to keep my oil changes, any service work done and emissions. We used to keep them in a file folder (my wife is organized) but now that oil changes are done less this stuff ends up in the glove box.

5. RedlandRanger

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
    Garage Profiles:
    You can also add in maintenance you do yourself in the FordPass app - I added my first oil change myself. I was hoping I could attach receipts but it is a pretty simple interface - but at least it documents user done maintenance.

AzScorpion likes this.
  6. jsphlynch

jsphlynch Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger XL
    I keep a small notebook in the glovebox of each vehicle. Every fill-up, oil change, new battery, u-joint replacement, etc gets documented in there. Something I picked up from my dad.

After my grandparents passed away, my dad briefly possessed their old Forester. I just happened to visit my parents while they had that car, so I used it for a couple days. When I went to fill it up, I told my wife to grab the notebook so we could log the fill-up. She gave me a funny look before popping open the glovebox. Just as I expected, there was my grandpa's notebook, with an entry for every single fill-up, oil change, even headlight bulb replacement for not only the Forester, but also the car they had before it.

Jon Olivier and MT19RANGER like this.
  7. Anthony

Anthony Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
    COO
    Garage Profiles:
    I use the FordPass app.

8. CompDude

CompDude Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    13 Escape SEL 2010 RAV4 Sport
    PAID GEEK
    I use an app a-car

9. VGKRanger29

VGKRanger29 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT Sport Magnetic
    My dad got me in the same habit growing up and since then my wife has picked it up also. We do the same thing when we borrow one of their cars. I get back in after filling it up and my wife already has the initial information filled out.

Murphie and AzScorpion like this.
  10. harringtondav

harringtondav Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
    I've kept a medium sized note book in the glove box of each of the eight vehicles I've owned in 35 yrs. Mostly for anal fuel stop and gas mileage records, plus trip notes. In the back of each book I log date and mileage for any service or maintenance, mostly done by me.

The trip notes are a fun diary of ancient trips. The maintenance notes have helped me sell three vehicles, some over 21 yrs old. The maintenance log, and the tech manual I throw in give credence to my claim of good maintenance and condition. Iowa rust has retired these vehicles. But their guts were always sound with good life remaining.

11. Snorebaby

Snorebaby Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
    Garage Profiles:
    I use an Excel spreadsheet that I built myself. I make a copy of any work orders/receipts and put it in a folder on the computer associated with the truck. I put the original in the trucks folder in my file cabinet. If I ordered something online, I print out the receipt and it goes in the file cabinet. I document everything in the spreadsheet. Mileage, gas, accessories, work/service, etc.

As a matter OCD....I have a 7yr 60,000 mile extended warranty. I have a spreadsheet where I enter my mileage and it will let me know if I will exceed my warranty and on what date. If I don't exceed my warranty, it will let me know what my mileage (assumed) will be on the last day of my warranty. It calculates my average miles per day and average miles per year (warranty year, not calendar year).

I only needed a 60k warranty as I ride my Goldwing at least 6-8k a year. Back and forth to work is on the bike if it is not raining.

The last time I rode was 12/6. It is the longest stretch of me not riding in several years. I had shoulder surgery on 12/9 and have not been released to ride yet. I would have put at least 750mi (or more) on the bike in that span if I could have ridden.

12. Murphie

Murphie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2020 Hyundai Sonata
    Retired Financial Auditor
    Other than the Goldwing, I'm right there with you. I'm also a long time user of Quicken, so everything automotive is 'tagged' with the respective vehicle.

Rather than trade-in, I've sold the last several vehicles. All of that information comes in real handy, and is impressive to the buyer.

Snorebaby likes this.
  13. Snorebaby

Snorebaby Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
    Garage Profiles:
    Yep...I agree. I find that if you can prove regular maintenance/upkeep you can usually get more for you vehicle.

14. NickTheEnforcer

NickTheEnforcer Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger XLT sport 4x4, 2016 Ford Escape SE AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
    Director of Development / Residential Construction
    I'm old school, every vehicle I have owned I do a full size 3-ring binder tabbed for service receipts, recalls, sales/warranty paperwork, accessories [all by date]. Every time I have ever sold one to a private party the mere sight of the way I keep my records makes the sale...They sit on a book shelf in my home office.

Murphie likes this.