jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
Add the Lariat also has no cover
ford started out with the engine cover on all three, then dropped it on the xl and xlt. i'm not surprised that they don't include it on anything new -they are remarkably cheap.

btw, the brochure i have shows the engine cover and mentions it regardless of trim. i called ford and they hedged and hawed. one person won't do it but if we all got together and said that this was 'promised' they'd be screwed.

that same brochure said we'd get 6 tie downs on all trims so....
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
ford started out with the engine cover on all three, then dropped it on the xl and xlt. i'm not surprised that they don't include it on anything new -they are remarkably cheap.

btw, the brochure i have shows the engine cover and mentions it regardless of trim. i called ford and they hedged and hawed. one person won't do it but if we all got together and said that this was 'promised' they'd be screwed.

I bet that somewhere in the brochure there is a tiny type disclaimer stating something like Ford reserves the right to make changes to vehicles without notification. The latest revision of the Dealer Order Guide is the controlling source.
2021 Ranger Order Guide 6pdf.pdf copy.jpg

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Can Ford save another $1.78 per vehicle? Why yes, yes they can...

Maybe the renovation of that train depot in Corktown is costing more than originally budgeted.

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
Can Ford save another $1.78 per vehicle? Why yes, yes they can...

Maybe the renovation of that train depot in Corktown is costing more than originally budgeted.
excellent documentation, thanks! my vehicle is a 2019 stx and when i called them and started "case" # CAS-26737316-C4V3Z3 they could not find your product changes documentation. i sent them the attached brochure pages. they told me to see the dealer (I already had) and finally said i have no case.

love the truck but i'm disgusted with ford's cop out. i wouldn't have minded if they could have produced some type of documentation or even some logic but they couldn't.

i believe if we all got together on these issues they would have to cave. in fact i've read that on the tie down issue some dealers are caving (though not mine).

that said, i expect to get about 500 comments saying i don't need an engine cover. before you folks start hating remember two things:

1) i paid ford for these items (twice in fact for the cover and required hardware - about $100).

and 2) this is not a plastic decorative cover - it is made of dense foam that has two functions: The foam acts as a sound deadener and helps mask the fuel injector ticking noise (i spend hours echoing in the mcdonalds drive thru and trust me there is a noticeable reduction. the cover also helps to retain engine heat (this is important in both summer and winter. much fuel is wasted bringing a cold or cooling off engine back to operating temperature. and you may feel hot during a summer heat wave but unless you are neglecting your maintenance the engine does not.

j.d.

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
excellent documentation, thanks! my vehicle is a 2019 stx and when i called them and started "case" # CAS-26737316-C4V3Z3 they could not find your product changes documentation. i sent them the attached brochure pages. they told me to see the dealer (I already had) and finally said i have no case.

love the truck but i'm disgusted with ford's cop out. i wouldn't have minded if they could have produced some type of documentation or even some logic but they couldn't.

i believe if we all got together on these issues they would have to cave. in fact i've read that on the tie down issue some dealers are caving (though not mine).

that said, i expect to get about 500 comments saying i don't need an engine cover. before you folks start hating remember two things:

1) i paid ford for these items (twice in fact for the cover and required hardware - about $100).

and 2) this is not a plastic decorative cover - it is made of dense foam that has two functions: The foam acts as a sound deadener and helps mask the fuel injector ticking noise (i spend hours echoing in the mcdonalds drive thru and trust me there is a noticeable reduction. the cover also helps to retain engine heat (this is important in both summer and winter. much fuel is wasted bringing a cold or cooling off engine back to operating temperature. and you may feel hot during a summer heat wave but unless you are neglecting your maintenance the engine does not.

j.d.
sorry, after all that i forgot to attach my files. here's pages from the 2019 brochure. i don't have any product changes for the 19 ranger (and neither does ford it seems).

ford eng cov.jpg

ford tie downs.jpg

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
even if ford had provided me with the 6 tie downs that they advertised (i.e. fraud) they are all in the wrong places. nothing wrong with having them near the floor at the corners but there should be a set at the top of the corners.

i like the ranger much more than the 2002 and 2013 tacomas i've owned but the bed (and tie down) design is awful. no pockets for cross members to raise a 4x8 load above the wheel wells, no adjustable/moveable tie downs. and don't even get me started on the radio/ipod/phone software.

jim d.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD

Please show where it states all trims have it because when launched in 2019 it was only the Lariat trim that came with an engine cover.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I wonder what the actual reason for the foam engine cover was. Some vehicles have had to use this as a part of the requirements for pedestrian collision injury mitigation.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I wonder what the actual reason for the foam engine cover was. Some vehicles have had to use this as a part of the requirements for pedestrian collision injury mitigation.
Please explain...

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
bought my truck mid april, sticker was 40,705.... best i could do was 36,300.... not to bad ..i know 3000 was rebate money....

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
Please show where it states all trims have it because when launched in 2019 it was only the Lariat trim that came with an engine cover.
the brochure shows a foam engine cover on the engine graphic. it does not say there (usually with some kind of asterisk or other symbol that refers the reader to the fine print) that certain items pictured are available only on some trims or with certain option packages.

furthermore, in the specifications section of the brochure, there is no notation of any kind that the engine cover is or is not included on any of the three trim levels. it is not an itemized option nor is it 'deleted' as with for example the rear seats on supercab models.

ford would lose this argument in a courtroom. and imagine if they had itemized the lack of an engine cover on lower trim levels. their lawyers should have included that little asterisk with small print saying 'engine cover included on lariat models only). or better yet, 'engine cover not included' in the xl/xlt specifications. i guess they chose to be sneaky rather than to appear shameless.

jim d.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Somewhere there is a '20 Lariat that exists without an engine cover which was standard equipment because it now resides beneath the hood of a certain '21 .

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Please explain...
There are a number of elements on the front of the vehicle intended to reduce the severity of injuries sustained by pedestrians as the result of a collision. Bumper height, hood height, and placement of certain components out of sight. Hood hinge design and placement is another element. As I understand, this contributes to why we see a lot of similar dimension and designs of front ends across various models and manufacturers.
For details of the engine covers, here is one article written on the subject.

https://www.plasticstoday.com/polyurethane-based-engine-covers-protects-pedestrians

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
Somewhere there is a '20 Lariat that exists without an engine cover which was standard equipment because it now resides beneath the hood of a certain '21 .
was that a dealer assist or 5 fingers?
j.d.