Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
I loved my Ford performance tune. I will say to anyone taking advantage of the good trade in values currently, probably want to call Ford performance before you pull the trigger on making the trade. They are not very good at working with the customer to utilize the tune on the new vehicle. They are also not very pleasant to talk to. Just FYI for all. So I’ve got a $700 useless ProCal 4 tool and a Tune married to the traded truck. Great.
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
OH! Not good, I know its late but ALWAYS return you truck to the OEM tune before selling or trading it in. I return my RV to OEM tune before any service work just in case the Ford service center 'updates' the ECU strategy and bricks my tuner.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I loved my Ford performance tune. I will say to anyone taking advantage of the good trade in values currently, probably want to call Ford performance before you pull the trigger on making the trade. They are not very good at working with the customer to utilize the tune on the new vehicle. They are also not very pleasant to talk to. Just FYI for all. So I’ve got a $700 useless ProCal 4 tool and a Tune married to the traded truck. Great.
Maybe you will get lucky and someone will want the tune for a little added cost to the car, perhaps in the range of 500$ more.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Maybe you will get lucky and someone will want the tune for a little added cost to the car, perhaps in the range of 500$ more.
Except the Dealer won't tell you who bought it.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Except the Dealer won't tell you who bought it.
I forgot there's some issues with the whole updating it and all needing the account transferred. Perhaps, email ford performance side of things, then call dealership again with their approval or comment of needing to transfer. And if the dealership refuses or is being rude, file a Ford Customer Care complaint of the dealership noting the rude calls etc, etc.

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot there's some issues with the whole updating it and all needing the account transferred. Perhaps, email ford performance side of things, then call dealership again with their approval or comment of needing to transfer. And if the dealership refuses or is being rude, file a Ford Customer Care complaint of the dealership noting the rude calls etc, etc.
The Ford Performance side of things has been the worst to deal with so far. Dude on the phone literally raised his voice and stated that they don't "just give away tunes" and by resetting my voucher ID he would be saying it was ok for me to "provide free tunes to all my buddies". So I'm feeling it's a hard no from FP..... They won't get me in touch with management either.... The call was literally surreal and infuriating. Anyone know a good Karen I can sick on them? Karen always gets a manager!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have the $500 Livernois tuner sitting on my shelf because it bricked my truck so many times I'm afraid to use it.

The tunes are nice but can be a hassle at times.

On a side note, since your truck is now red you have to change your name from Polar Bear to Solar Bear :sunglasses:

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Seems like this is as simple as what the licensing agreement says when you buy it. Does it say it’s not transferrable?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I have the $500 Livernois tuner sitting on my shelf because it bricked my truck so many times I'm afraid to use it.

The tunes are nice but can be a hassle at times.

On a side note, since your truck is now red you have to change your name from Polar Bear to Solar Bear :sunglasses:
Wow interesting feedback on the livernois tune. I’ve been running the FP tune with no problems for 12k miles now, haven’t even updated it to latest yet… took it off-roading and drive it hard city. Maybe there’s the one benefit to the FP tune, juicing out safe power.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Wow interesting feedback on the livernois tune. I’ve been running the FP tune with no problems for 12k miles now, haven’t even updated it to latest yet… took it off-roading and drive it hard city. Maybe there’s the one benefit to the FP tune, juicing out safe power.
I think I just got a bad one as mine was a headache from day 1.

After Livernois was finally able to clear a Crank Relearn error that it threw I was outside the 30 day return window.

I consider it a lesson learned and my truck has been back to stock for the last 5k miles.

JJ101

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Admin Type. U.S. Navy (Retired)
Question. New guy and first post. I bought a 2020 Ranger XLT FX4 (with 3800 miles on it) and found the pictured item in the storage area under the back seat. Did these come with the truck new? I’d find it weird that someone would buy this to just turn around and trade it in. Is it something I could sell?

8BEF5BED-C9CC-422A-A8F4-37EC9C6B5404.jpeg

FB4A61DE-5163-4525-B4E5-BFA971A85C8E.jpeg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Question. New guy and first post. I bought a 2020 Ranger XLT FX4 (with 3800 miles on it) and found the pictured item in the storage area under the back seat. Did these come with the truck new? I’d find it weird that someone would buy this to just turn around and trade it in. Is it something I could sell?

Nice Easter egg you got there! It appears your truck was flashed. Quickest way to find out is to lookup registration number and see if it is locked or not.

JJ101

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Admin Type. U.S. Navy (Retired)
Nice Easter egg you got there! It appears your truck was flashed. Quickest way to find out is to lookup registration number and see if it is locked or not.
I asked the dealer and he said during the 172 point inspection prior to putting it on the lot they would have caught it and set it back to normal factory settings. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

You can connect the ProCal to the ODB port then follow the onscreen menu. You will see where it says Programming and touch that. From there it will show if you have a tune or not. If not you can have the dealer install it which I highly recommend. It really wakes the truck up and the Ford tune retains the factory warranty.

I have a Livernois tune but they are the same tuner box.

IMG_3488.jpg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
You can connect the ProCal to the ODB port then follow the onscreen menu. You will see where it says Programming and touch that. From there it will show if you have a tune or not. If not you can have the dealer install it which I highly recommend. It really wakes the truck up and the Ford tune retains the factory warranty.

I have a Livernois tune but they are the same tuner box.

IMG_3488.jpg
I always recommend a tune, I let myself stay out of it this time. But with Dave and his classic schemes to make you spend money, I will also agree with the spending the bones for the dealer installed tune or another tune if you like what you see after some research. What a true Easter egg find like Rick mentioned.
Sponsored