Ford Performance grille on black package/Hot Pepper Ranger

Leave the new grille matte or paint the surround gloss black?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So my wife got me the Ford Performance grille for Christmas and I am trying to decide if I want to paint the surround gloss black to like my factory black package grille (or switch surrounds) or leave if matte. I am not sure how well the matte will blend with the rest. The black package is already a good mix of matte and gloss, so I am not sure if it needs to be gloss, I just do not want it to stand out. The matte without paint would be nice against chips, etc. as the gloss black surround currently is a magnet for such things due to its position.

What do you guys think?

Grille.jpg

20210723_124602_2.jpg
Sponsored

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So my wife got me the Ford Performance grille for Christmas and I am trying to decide if I want to paint the surround gloss black to like my factory black package grille (or switch surrounds) or leave if matte. I am not sure how well the matte will blend with the rest. The black package is already a good mix of matte and gloss, so I am not sure if it needs to be gloss, I just do not want it to stand out. The matte without paint would be nice against chips, etc. as the gloss black surround currently is a magnet for such things due to its position.

What do you guys think?

Grille.jpg

20210723_124602_2.jpg
I'd leave it like it is and just paint the ford letters the same color as the truck..

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I think either way will look good, and it's a whole lot easier to just leave it as it is. It will still match your fog light surrounds and probably the lower bumper area too. No one but you will ever notice a difference anyway. I actually have the grill on order. I was on the fence but it looks better than the aftermarket options and it was basically free with my points so why not? my trim is already matte black since its an STX so it should be good to go!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I kind of like it the way it is and the gloss would imho stick out to much for my liking.

I guess you never bought that Bronco....eh? ?

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I kind of like it the way it is and the gloss would imho stick out to much for my liking.

I guess you never bought that Bronco....eh? ?
It is still on the lot and haunts me every day on the way to work...

Can't believe it hasn't sold. I guess people think $54K is too much. I guess they have never priced a Jeep?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It is still on the lot and haunts me every day on the way to work...

Can't believe it hasn't sold. I guess people think $54K is too much. I guess they have never priced a Jeep?
Wow I'm surprised it's still there too. That's about the average price now for something fairly loaded. But seeing as your wife just bought you that nice new grille for Christmas you can't really sell your Ranger now. You know what that means don't you? You'll have to go buy the Bronco and keep them both. ? :giggle:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Wow I'm surprised it's still there too. That's about the average price now for something fairly loaded. But seeing as your wife just bought you that nice new grille for Christmas you can't really sell your Ranger now. You know what that means don't you? You'll have to go buy the Bronco and keep them both. ? :giggle:
I think the "I have to have the cool new vehicle and I'm willing to pay stupid money for it" is petering out. I'm see lots of the dealers around me that had Bronco $15,000-20,000 over MSRP dropping their prices. Still way over MSRP but starting to come down. I'm betting by late summer we'll see a fair amount of unsold Bronco inventory sitting on the lots at the mega-dealers if they don't get realistic with the pricing.

The dealer I bought my Ranger from had a Big Bend on the lot when I picked up my Ranger. They wanted 20,000 over MSRP. Now they have taken the asking price off it and have "Speak to Salesperson about pricing" on it. When I called, they said their starting price was MSRP plus 12,000. Still stupid but starting to course correct.

Ironically they increased the markup on Ranger - went from $2,000 over MSRP for most of last year to $3500 now. They interestingly did completely drop the market adjustment from F150 and are actually listing them for $2000 under MSRP right now - I'm guessing that Ford's letter about the Lightning has them nervous about messing with F150 pricing at all because for the entire 2nd half of 2021 they were adding $5000 to all F150s at this dealership.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I think the "I have to have the cool new vehicle and I'm willing to pay stupid money for it" is petering out. I'm see lots of the dealers around me that had Bronco $15,000-20,000 over MSRP dropping their prices. Still way over MSRP but starting to come down. I'm betting by late summer we'll see a fair amount of unsold Bronco inventory sitting on the lots at the mega-dealers if they don't get realistic with the pricing.

The dealer I bought my Ranger from had a Big Bend on the lot when I picked up my Ranger. They wanted 20,000 over MSRP. Now they have taken the asking price off it and have "Speak to Salesperson about pricing" on it. When I called, they said their starting price was MSRP plus 12,000. Still stupid but starting to course correct.

Ironically they increased the markup on Ranger - went from $2,000 over MSRP for most of last year to $3500 now. They interestingly did completely drop the market adjustment from F150 and are actually listing them for $2000 under MSRP right now - I'm guessing that Ford's letter about the Lightning has them nervous about messing with F150 pricing at all because for the entire 2nd half of 2021 they were adding $5000 to all F150s at this dealership.
This dealership is doing no markups on the Bronco's they have which is why I found it interesting they did not sell. The particular one I was looking at had many Ford accessories on it which was nice, but maybe some people do not want that.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase

A guy at Lowe's the other day was telling me that a Ford dealer near him was asking over $100K for a new Bronco! I have no idea what the details were on it, just that the sticker was, I think, high $40k? It's a wonder some of these dealers can live with their sorry ass selves....

StopherTopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
I’m about to swap my lariat grill on my race red super cab for the ford performance grille as well. @Extreme01 your raptor one looks dope with the outlined lettering. I’ve been wondering where people have found them? I’d also be interested in an all red set of the ford lettering. Have a link you could share?

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
1 Vote for- Paint the surround only. Leave everything else matte. Not a fan of a everything plasticky looking.
Sponsored