Ford may start shipping incomplete vehicles to dealers, let them finish up.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
And how complicated is the installation of these chips?
Are they (part of) the PCM controller?
Can the trucks even run without this chip?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
All of the home builders in Wayne are storing Fords. They used to "rent a cow." Your new truck may come with mice homes. LOL

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
FFS, dealers cant get tire pressure correct for delivery, who thinks they can handle installing a chip?
That's what I was wondering. Don't know about spending 40 grand on a new truck that was chipped up by the wash rack guy...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Just to be clear, we are not going to be installing microchips onto circuit boards. The technicians will be installing built modules into the vehicle that are missing.

from a dealer tech point of view, im not thrilled about this. We already get screwed heavily on recalls and warranty repairs, im sure this is not going to be any more fair in paying times. In addition, most if not all of these modules will require programming using FDRS which is a nightmare to use, and since its cloud based, it means every tech in the nation will be trying to pull info off of fords already shitty servers.

Overall id rather them keep the trucks in the factory and have the assembly line workers fix them. About time they own that yearly bonus.
Are these going to be modules whose absence will allow the vehicle to run and drive?

At least enough to pull onto railcar, drive off and onto tractor trailer car carrier and then off again @ the dealerships?

Or are they gonna have to pull 'em around?

Last edited:

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
heres a legal question....can they do it from a manufacturing standpoint?

i dont know where i am going with this so i'll keep it super basic, but it just reminds me of the custom motorcycle shows you saw in the past.

how will the vehicle be considered "new" and manufactured by ford, when essentially its a repaired vehicle upon delivery to a consumer.
to me there is a grey line....will some consumer oversight board jump all over this and tell the manufacturers they cant deliver vehicles that arent fully compliant with the build process?

I dunno, maybe a dumb concern, but is it a valid question?
Not a lawyer but to my mind the dealer is not repairing the vehicle but finishing the manufacturing process. In other words the factory is contracting out the final processes and tests. This has happened in car manufacturing many times before.

I would think though that the bean counters at Ford would have some heartburn about when they would recognize that the vehicle has officially “shipped”. I used to work for a manufacturer that would “ship” incomplete products out of the factory at the end of the year into a truck in the parking lot. Then on January 1, bring them back into the factory to finish them, and then really ship them to the customer. The finance team and accountants finally put a stop to that.

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Not a lawyer but to my mind the dealer is not repairing the vehicle but finishing the manufacturing process. In other words the factory is contracting out the final processes and tests. This has happened in car manufacturing many times before.

I would think though that the bean counters at Ford would have some heartburn about when they would recognize that the vehicle has officially “shipped”. I used to work for a manufacturer that would “ship” incomplete products out of the factory at the end of the year into a truck in the parking lot. Then on January 1, bring them back into the factory to finish them, and then really ship them to the customer. The finance team and accountants finally put a stop to that.
I wonder if the line between repair and build completion is the customer taking possession. From a non-lawyer's point of view it gets messy because dealers are not Ford...and yet in some respects, they are. I get the feeling it gets into the legal weeds at that point.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Yup. Used to paint aircraft and they were considered finished when they left the booth whether they were or not. Many were the nights I found myself touching up birds in the dark because they absolutely had to be out of the shop so they could sit on the ramp for a month.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
heres a legal question....can they do it from a manufacturing standpoint?

i dont know where i am going with this so i'll keep it super basic, but it just reminds me of the custom motorcycle shows you saw in the past.

how will the vehicle be considered "new" and manufactured by ford, when essentially its a repaired vehicle upon delivery to a consumer.
to me there is a grey line....will some consumer oversight board jump all over this and tell the manufacturers they cant deliver vehicles that arent fully compliant with the build process?

I dunno, maybe a dumb concern, but is it a valid question?
I think it's a valid question.

Also, them union boys might have a valid legal argument as well. Depending on their union contract.

RescueMe1060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2021 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Dept. of Public Works
My dealer told me that he absolutely refuses to accept this proposition and that it will never happen

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
My dealer told me that he absolutely refuses to accept this proposition and that it will never happen
Makes sense from the dealers point of view. Can you imagine having to tell walk-in potential buyers, "Nope, can't let you drive that one off the lot. No, not that one either. The grey one? No, sorry..."

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I do a fair amount of electronics on the side and for work. These types of modules are the heart of the vehicle depending on what ones are provided. So installing modules that are pretty much plug and play isn’t all that big an issue. Getting at them as we all know is a bit more work. Dash disassembly is a PIA in these trucks! My only issue with dealers doing this type of work is the training prior to giving them liberty to do it. ESD is a big one here. If precautions are not taken the fallout could possibly be 6 to 9 months later when they fail. Yup, damage was done but takes a while to rear its ugly head. Now is Ford standing behind replacing these even though a dealer might have cut corners?

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
My only issue with dealers doing this type of work is the training prior to giving them liberty to do it.
On the bright side, when ours fail someday the techs will already have plenty of on-the-job training! :D
Sponsored