First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Man that is a small bed. Almost would rather just have the SUV and be able to fold the seats down.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I used to have a Subaru Baja Turbo that I absolutely loved.

I hope it has the bed passthrough that the Subaru had as it was very useful.

And with 281HP and 311TQ stock it should be pretty peppy.

I may trade my Ranger for this since my Jeep can handle towing and off road duties..

OP
OP
spartan0078

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Man that is a small bed. Almost would rather just have the SUV and be able to fold the seats down.
In defence of that, I'm always scared to throw dirty shit in the back of my suv, but I do so with reckless abandon if it's a truck!

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
It sure has some nice features that I hope the Ranger incorporates to the future builds.

60/40 split folding rear seats.
heated/cooled seating
AWD
retracting bed cover
a lot of built in storage in bed

Some very nice features to hope for

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I'm excited for this segment. And if it does well, I would love to see the Subaru Baja brought back! The Maverick looked a little plain in the spy shots, so I guess we'll see what kind of trims they offer and how they will market it. The Santa Cruz is clearly going for the Subaru Outback/Crosstrek buyer group and I'm genuinely interested in seeing how everything will unfold.

The bed is small, but I also think that the traditional pickup owner who looks at it has to realize that the intended buyer for the Santa Cruz is not a traditional pickup owner. This bed won't be able to do "real" truck things, but it will hold any outdoor gear very well and you won't have to worry about getting your interior dirty. Plus it has a trunk in the bed!

The powertrain is impressive - the turbo trim has more power/torque than our Rangers! The 8 speed DCT is a surprising choice to me though. Considering that the Santa Cruz is rated to tow an impressive 5,000 lb, I don't even want to think about that DCT clutch slipping as you get moving. Combine that will creeping over uneven offroad terrain (not that you would rock crawl, but I'm sure many will take these on trails to get to camping spots, etc), that's a lot of slip for that clutch. Hopefully R&D got enough funding to do the proper development, but man, I would be nervous to buy it right away.

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
In defence of that, I'm always scared to throw dirty shit in the back of my suv, but I do so with reckless abandon if it's a truck!
Good point, I didn't care too much when I had my explorer lol it was only the back of the seats that got a little dirty. A bed pass through as @Dr. Zaius said would be very useful

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
This ^
I could just as easily get by with an SUV/Crossover with the things I do with my vehicle, and I had for years. But having a separate space where I can pile wood, my dirty/muddy/wet bike after a ride, leaking bags of mulch, wet camping gear, etc. without it ruining the interior or smelling up the cabin is a big deal.
I used to be a "trucks are dumb, you have less lockable space than a SUV. Just get an SUV." kinda guy. I bought the Ranger because I wanted midsize body on frame and there aren't many body on frame SUVs on the market/they didn't fit my needs. Within a few months of picking up the truck, I picked up a used transmission for my project car. On the way home, it leaked and made a mess of gear oil all over the bed. Consider me a converted man haha.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I think if I were buidling a "street truck" this thing would be pretty sweet with a ground effects kit and some mods (tune, etc.).

I did, however, buy the right truck for my needs which is to go off-road, places this AWD won't make it to.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
I think if I were buidling a "street truck" this thing would be pretty sweet with a ground effects kit and some mods (tune, etc.).

I did, however, buy the right truck for my needs which is to go off-road, places this AWD won't make it to.
True what you say. But like the F150 it should still have 4WD Hi Lo that should take care of your needs. AWD is nice for normal commuting to and from wether it be work or whatever without having to select proper needs just my opinion.

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer

I do like how it looks. Especially from the side

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Trucks are at the moment extremely popular and like SUVs a significant number of buyers won't buy them for off road use. Hyundai will take their usual approach and offer a good many features for a price point below competitors, they do offer a powertrain warranty of 10yr/100k miles in the US market, supposedly their dct is much improved from one they offered several yrs back with a dry clutch. The style of the truck should appeal to younger buyers so I expect Hyundai will sell a good many of these "trucks"

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
True what you say. But like the F150 it should still have 4WD Hi Lo that should take care of your needs. AWD is nice for normal commuting to and from wether it be work or whatever without having to select proper needs just my opinion.
Interestingly I don't think it'll have 4hi or 4lo options. If it's anything like their SUVs it won't have a part time 4wd option, only AWD. Kind of like a Subaru setup.