Ford Dash Plastic and Adhesive Tape - Did they change the sticky formula on me?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
In my 2013 Fusion, I had no issue putting accessories on the dash with double sided tape. Either the tape that came with the accessory or a roll of the red high adhesion outdor 2x tape from Home Depot. It all stuck just fine.

Now in the Ranger, I keep trying to install my Ham Radio Control Head (a few ounces of weight) on the dash in front of the gauge cluster and it keeps falling off. Tape will not stick for more than a week or two max. What is Ford putting in their dash plastic that makes it so hard to adhere to? Do I need a different kind of 2x Tape?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In my 2013 Fusion, I had no issue putting accessories on the dash with double sided tape. Either the tape that came with the accessory or a roll of the red high adhesion outdor 2x tape from Home Depot. It all stuck just fine.

Now in the Ranger, I keep trying to install my Ham Radio Control Head (a few ounces of weight) on the dash in front of the gauge cluster and it keeps falling off. Tape will not stick for more than a week or two max. What is Ford putting in their dash plastic that makes it so hard to adhere to? Do I need a different kind of 2x Tape?
Hi Greg,

Have you tried the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape? It might work better....do not know...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
That may be what I'm using. Let me check.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Try the Gorilla Tape. I haven't used it but my neighbor uses it all the time for mounting stuff to his Slingshot and hasn't had any problems with it sticking. Just make sure you clean the area really good with isopropyl alcohol first.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-1-in-x-1-67-yds-Tough-and-Clear-Mounting-Tape-6065003/304544003

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I'm betting is residue from the release agent they used in molding the plastic, not the plastic itself. Use a good cleaner (I like Simple Green) and then follow up with a little rubbing alcohol. Should stick better after that.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
I'm betting is residue from the release agent they used in molding the plastic, not the plastic itself. Use a good cleaner (I like Simple Green) and then follow up with a little rubbing alcohol. Should stick better after that.
I'm thinking that's it. Even though the temps are getting hotter, each application is lasting a tad bit longer. I clean it with denatured alcohol each time and stick that muther on for another few weeks. I'm getting up to about two months with each application.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have you found anything yet? I've tried all of the other ideas here. I do think it's a residue that seeps out of the mold of the dashboard. The gorilla tape just absolutely sucks. I've washed and rinsed and washed and rinsed with alcohol and degreasers and cleaned it very good and I still have a hard time getting anything to stick to it. That heavy duty 3M tape is the best thing I have found so far but it doesn't last on the Ranger dash and I have tinted windows in the vehicle and it is usually in the garage.
Have you found anything that works yet? I'm ready to try maybe some silicone because silicone should be easily removed.
That 3M tape sticks like the dickens to the windshield for my dash cams and never had one come off yet even when sitting in the sun for hours.
I know this is an older thread but I had to take a look to try to find something and this came up in a Google search. Never had any issues in our Hondas but I'm finally back in Ford again and here is my dilemma.
Sponsored