First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I know non-functional hood scoops are not for everyone, but my first car was a 69 Mustang with a Cobra-Jet scoop, and I’ve loved the look ever since. Anyway, I just finished installing the Ford hood scoop and I’m pleased with it. I wanted to share that the quality of the scoop is up there. Really good fit. It would be impossible to mount it crooked because it has a grille that fits into the dip in the center of the Ranger’s hood. It installs with a combo of included 3m tape and a tube of adhesive. I cleaned the surfaces with alcohol, so I hope the adhesion is good and strong. We’ll see.
AA0BEA95-B931-410D-B54A-C84997D3B987.jpeg
BA528990-AB5F-46B5-8E9A-5B32AB99C2A9.jpeg
E90DD908-2783-4084-B59E-217B11B46931.jpeg
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
To me, these always look best when paint-matched. Good job Don - very nice! ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Looks real nice.

I'm not a big enough fan of the look that I would install a non functional one, myself. But yours looks really good.

Did you paint it yourself or have a shop do it? I always thought the scoop looked so porous that it wouldn't take paint well, but it looks like you got a really nice finish.

OP
OP
Scooterdog

Scooterdog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Looks real nice.

I'm not a big enough fan of the look that I would install a non functional one, myself. But yours looks really good.

Did you paint it yourself or have a shop do it? I always thought the scoop looked so porous that it wouldn't take paint well, but it looks like you got a really nice finish.
I had a local shop paint it. They had no problem with any prep/paint.

21rangerCactus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self employed
What happens to the paint under the scoop? Can water and dirt get under it?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I know non-functional hood scoops are not for everyone, but my first car was a 69 Mustang with a Cobra-Jet scoop, and I’ve loved the look ever since. Anyway, I just finished installing the Ford hood scoop and I’m pleased with it. I wanted to share that the quality of the scoop is up there. Really good fit. It would be impossible to mount it crooked because it has a grille that fits into the dip in the center of the Ranger’s hood. It installs with a combo of included 3m tape and a tube of adhesive. I cleaned the surfaces with alcohol, so I hope the adhesion is good and strong. We’ll see.
AA0BEA95-B931-410D-B54A-C84997D3B987.jpeg
BA528990-AB5F-46B5-8E9A-5B32AB99C2A9.jpeg
E90DD908-2783-4084-B59E-217B11B46931.jpeg
They look great on the Ranger, nice job!

I didn't realize they have exhaust ports at the rear, is it a flow-trough design? Could you post a pic of the rear, maybe from the driver's seat?

OP
OP
Scooterdog

Scooterdog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
They look great on the Ranger, nice job!

I didn't realize they have exhaust ports at the rear, is it a flow-trough design? Could you post a pic of the rear, maybe from the driver's seat?
Thanks! There aren’t any exhaust ports.
374379B0-E304-4EB0-B646-EAB6C1540AD4.jpeg

21rangerCactus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self employed
There are preformed channels in the grille to allow water to escape.
So If water can get in that means dirt will to. I don't see how it can be cleaned and then apply any sort of paint protection.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So If water can get in that means dirt will to. I don't see how it can be cleaned and then apply any sort of paint protection.
None that are on the hood. I've seen these types of hood scoops on other cars. It isn't pretty under there after a few years.
That’s a legit concern to have with these scoops………do you sense a “but” coming along?

But……

When you think it through, @RANGER PRIDE ’s point is also legit - bed rail and tailgate caps, roof trim strips, wheel well trim, tail light assemblies, fender vents - it’s a longer list, but I’ll stop there.

Even if it does mar the finish, who’s gonna see it? If it penetrates the paint, no biggie, it won’t have the same affect as it would with a steel hood.

Besides, it’s pretty now and I’m sure Don isn’t planning on removing it…ever. ?