For those that have cut out crash bars...

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Doesn't Ford remove the crash bars on the Raptors to clear oversized tires? IF so I would assume they provide a degree of additional protection but it's not a major factor or the crash bars on the Raptors would be there just a different design like the aftermarket options on the rangers.
It looks like that is true. It also hasn't been crash-tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( NHTSA) or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It does have a stronger frame then the standard Ranger. At least that's what I have read.

I have not seen this mentioned on this site. The front Dana M190 Diff setup is designed for a maximum tire size of 32" . That's partly why the crash bars are spaced the way they are. The Ranger Raptor and the Sasquatch Bronco has a Dana M210 Diff setup to run up to a 35" tire.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Someone here on the forum did a strength test on the aftermarket bars and they are just as strong as the stock bars. I was pretty shocked to be honest.
Show me. I'm calling BS until I see the results. I've done my own analysis using FEA and that's simply not the case.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Doesn't Ford remove the crash bars on the Raptors to clear oversized tires? IF so I would assume they provide a degree of additional protection but it's not a major factor or the crash bars on the Raptors would be there just a different design like the aftermarket options on the rangers.
Assume...

I'm curious? Would your front seat passenger be ok with your assumption, after being in a wheel chair the rest of their life, because you removed the intrusion beams?

Check out the major suspension differences between a stock F-150 and a Raptor.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Assume...

I'm curious? Would your front seat passenger be ok with your assumption, after being in a wheel chair the rest of their life, because you removed the intrusion beams?

Check out the major suspension differences between a stock F-150 and a Raptor.
I'm not removing mine. Just pointing out what some are doing. Some people like to black out their windows with dark tint...not for me, it hampers my vision too much but it's their call. Everyone makes mods others don't agree with. I ride a motorcycle an a lot of people think that's too dangerous.

I see you're a retired mechanical engineer...all three of my son's are mechanical engineers. None work for a car company but one works for a major supplier that makes seats

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I'm not removing mine. Just pointing out what some are doing. Some people like to black out their windows with dark tint...not for me, it hampers my vision too much but it's their call. Everyone makes mods others don't agree with. I ride a motorcycle an a lot of people think that's too dangerous.

I see you're a retired mechanical engineer...all three of my son's are mechanical engineers. None work for a car company but one works for a major supplier that makes seats
Racaro?

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Show me. I'm calling BS until I see the results. I've done my own analysis using FEA and that's simply not the case.
Do your own search. It is somewhere on this forum. FEA is great, but it doesn't replace physical test analysis data. In the meantime, keep those crash bars intact.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Do your own search. It is somewhere on this forum. FEA is great, but it doesn't replace physical test analysis data. In the meantime, keep those crash bars intact.
Agreed. The issue is the test you are referring to the guy put the new bars in a hydraulic press, and mashed them. That tells nothing. His post seems to have been deleted? But here is the conversation in a quote

The bars need to be attached in a similar manner that they are on the truck, and then a load applied that simulates a crash. That's how I did the FEA.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. The issue is the test you are referring to the guy put the new bars in a hydraulic press, and mashed them. That tells nothing. His post seems to have been deleted? But here is the conversation in a quote

The bars need to be attached in a similar manner that they are on the truck, and then a load applied that simulates a crash. That's how I did the FEA.
Makes sense. Still leaving my bars intact.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
I have wondered if the new much stronger front bumper compensates for the lack of crash bars. In order to install my ADD bumper, the crash bars have to be removed. It was easy to do with the bumper off. No cutting.

I am not here to debate what one should and should not do. We all do stupid stuff everyday some much more risky than others. If you want to jump off a bridge and see if you can fly, have at it. Not my worry. Cutting crash bars, again not my worry. Doing crappy suspension mods that may cause you to crash into me, then it's my worry.

9BEF8141-090B-4BC3-9A45-17DEFD166295.jpeg

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have wondered if the new much stronger front bumper compensates for the lack of crash bars. In order to install my ADD bumper, the crash bars have to be removed. It was easy to do with the bumper off. No cutting.

I am not here to debate what one should and should not do. We all do stupid stuff everyday some much more risky than others. If you want to jump off a bridge and see if you can fly, have at it. Not my worry. Cutting crash bars, again not my worry. Doing crappy suspension mods that may cause you to crash into me, then it's my worry.

Sweet bumper and nice looking truck. I'm with you, to each their own. I only broached the subject because some may not be aware.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Where the New Ranger has crash test issues is the front passenger leg area. Basically the tire/wheel gets shoved back into the footwell in a frontal offset crash. Thus the tire and wheel "Intrude into the cabin". Thus the term intrusion bars.

If we look at the bumper on your truck, more of the tire is exposed from the front, a lot more.

Without doing crash tests.. who knows what the end result would be. But removing intrusion bars, and hoping for less intrusion, seems unlikely.

Massive strong front bumpers may be the worse thing that ever happened to folks in the truck in an accident. It will for sure affect how the factory crumple zones work.

Crash Test Video

2019-Ford-Ranger-Crash-Test-Rating-864x520.jpg

Front.jpg

Overhead.jpg

Last edited:

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
cAn I dO tHiS WiTh a TaCoMa oR rIdGeLiNe?

(For the record, I do not recommend ever altering any structure that could impact crash performance. Doubly so when it comes to the risk of intrusion of the passenger compartment.)

Rowdy Ranger

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lighting Blue Ranger
Occupation
Certified Welder
Remove the crash bars, spend the remaining years of your life in a wheelchair or worse.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of bro science going on here on both sides of the argument so let me add to the noise,

IF the crash bars are so crucial then WHY did Ford make them removeable?
Sponsored