For those of you doing your suspension lifts/levels yourself......this is for you.

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
To any and all whom this may concern. When installing your fancy new level kit, whether that be fancy coilovers, new struts or just a simple spacer lift.....please follow this method.

Drop your lower control arms from the frame side. Leave your sway bar connected, abs lines connected. There will be no need to unbolt the axle nut and no (or very very little) concern of the CV popping out.

Unbolt lower shock, unbolt LCA from frame, may need to do you tie rod ends as well. Once the LCA is unbolted the strut/coilover is just floating at the bottom. Unbolt top of strut/coilover ......remove and install new (your stock strut will pretty much just fall to the floor). Just remember where your alignment pins were and when bolting the LCA back on get it as close as you can. You will need alignment anyways.

This is literally the easiest method on these trucks. You will probably save half the time as well.

Hope this helps those that are nervous about doing your own work
Sponsored

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Agreed.
Mark your bolts with a paint pen so it will make it to an alignment shop.
When it comes to alignment, I would suggest to stay completely away from chain stores, those kids couldn't line up a lawnmower. Here in Denver there is only one shop that can do it right. Kennedy Alignment in Commerce City.

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
To any and all whom this may concern. When installing your fancy new level kit, whether that be fancy coilovers, new struts or just a simple spacer lift.....please follow this method.

Drop your lower control arms from the frame side. Leave your sway bar connected, abs lines connected. There will be no need to unbolt the axle nut and no (or very very little) concern of the CV popping out.

Unbolt lower shock, unbolt LCA from frame, may need to do you tie rod ends as well. Once the LCA is unbolted the strut/coilover is just floating at the bottom. Unbolt top of strut/coilover ......remove and install new (your stock strut will pretty much just fall to the floor). Just remember where your alignment pins were and when bolting the LCA back on get it as close as you can. You will need alignment anyways.

This is literally the easiest method on these trucks. You will probably save half the time as well.

Will I have any problems reinstalling the control arm bolts or is it just that easy?

OP
OP

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Will I have any problems reinstalling the control arm bolts or is it just that easy?
It's just that easy. Like winmag said, just mark the lower control arm bolts on the alignment pins and get it close enough, so you can get to the alignment shop.

I would probably use a floor jack to get the LCA back in place easier

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
It's just that easy. Like winmag said, just mark the lower control arm bolts on the alignment pins and get it close enough, so you can get to the alignment shop.

I would probably use a floor jack to get the LCA back in place easier
yes I will, I was also wondering if a floor jack would make things easier, I’ll be doing my kit on Saturday so I’ll be doing this. Thanks

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4

I seen a video on YouTube of an Australian shop using this method.........After I did it the hard way. :headbang:Your way looks 1000 times easier!

OP
OP

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
I seen a video on YouTube of an Australian shop using this method.........After I did it the hard way. :headbang:Your way looks 1000 times easier!
Worst case scenario is not getting the LCA to move back far enough to get the bolts lined up. If that happens and a jack doesn't get you where you need to be, get a ratchet strap or two and hook one side to the frame and the other end to the holes on the bottom side of the control arm. Just ratchet the strap until it lines up.

I've done so many lift kits in my garage, by myself, that I've learned a few tricks along the way.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Question for you folks...I’m close to ordering the Eibach adjustable struts (already did the rear). My question is, I’m already leveled with a spacer kit. Should I leave that on the strut tower and set to factory height or take it off and level with the strut? Also, if I leave the spacer on can I adjust the strut for a 1/2” more lift? TIA

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Question for you folks...I’m close to ordering the Eibach adjustable struts (already did the rear). My question is, I’m already leveled with a spacer kit. Should I leave that on the strut tower and set to factory height or take it off and level with the strut? Also, if I leave the spacer on can I adjust the strut for a 1/2” more lift? TIA
I would remove the spacer kit and level with the struts.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Be forwarned...pick up an extra lower control arm bolt and nut or 2.
Since the bolt has a grove cut into it,it can and may,one of mine did get galled threads,making reinstallation a non option.
Needless to say,buying a pair of new half shaft nuts to remove them from the spindle while taking the upper ball joint off,is still my preferred method,and still,to me a simpler way to go.
My .02

OP
OP

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Did you use an impact wrench to back out?

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Did you use an impact wrench to back out?
If this was for me,no I did not.
It only happened with one,but I could see because of the way they are made with a slot cut into them the length of the bolt,how it could,and did easily happen.....
Sponsored