Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
So the lower grill guard is en route from Stage3.

I am looking for some additional lighting for off road.

Will go with a 20in LED bar for that lower opening.

Has anyone looked to see at mounting flush Mount LED's to the circled areas below? Anything behind there that would prevent this?

Yes, its still buttass cold here, so wont crawl under until warm weather hits.

lights1.JPG
Sponsored

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
You ordered the lower grille insert - How are you planning on putting a light bar in that area - I guess it would be behind the insert? If you’re thinking about in front save yourself the $70 for the insert as the light bar will pretty mich fill that space.
I think if you want lights in the circled area’s you’ll have to cut out those area’s to open them up. Something I guess can be done as removing that lower piece is pretty easy.

OP
OP
Hounddog409

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
You ordered the lower grille insert - How are you planning on putting a light bar in that area - I guess it would be behind the insert? If you’re thinking about in front save yourself the $70 for the insert as the light bar will pretty mich fill that space.
I think if you want lights in the circled area’s you’ll have to cut out those area’s to open them up. Something I guess can be done as removing that lower piece is pretty easy.
I am mounting the light bar to the insert. Its steel, so no problem there. Plus it makes install very simple- wont have to remove anything outside the grill install.

Most likely it will be behind. Branches are a big issue for me where my hunting property is.

Is there anything behind those circled areas? If not, I can cut a hole and insert the flush mount with no disassembly as well.

Just gathering parts now so i can get at it once the weather breaks.

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I am mounting the light bar to the insert. Its steel, so no problem there. Plus it makes install very simple- wont have to remove anything outside the grill install.

Most likely it will be behind. Branches are a big issue for me where my hunting property is.

Is there anything behind those circled areas? If not, I can cut a hole and insert the flush mount with no disassembly as well.

Just gathering parts now so i can get at it once the weather breaks.
If I remember correctly there is nothing behind that....and it actually is 2 pieces - the lower gray ( or in your case lower black) is one piece and the black another that interlocks with tabs (and maybe a torx bolt or two)....just going by memory of having it off once.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
yes, the bolts that hold the bumper to the frame, and their brackets. there is very little depth behind those areas.

OP
OP
Hounddog409

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
yes, the bolts that hold the bumper to the frame, and their brackets. there is very little depth behind those areas.
Thanks for the info. On to plan B

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I'm looking at ordering the lower grille (non ACC) for my truck, but have a question about the install clearance. I have the idea of using a flat piece of steel sandwiched between the top of the lower grille mount and bottom of bumper opening, and use that to mount my Hella 6" lights from my Jeep.

Question is: how much clearance is there between the lower grille insert and bumper? Can I slide in a thin piece of steel?

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Here's the best picture I have of that piece removed. There are a tonnnn of clips below the silver piece, you COULD put lights there, but they'd have to be pretty shallow and narrow. The smooth part of the upper piece has a clip behind it, and the honeycomb part is very close to the end of the studs that the bumper bolts to. You could sneak a hideaway strobe light head behind it, but likely not any driving light worth using in combination with a light bar.

IMG_2903.PNG

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the best picture I have of that piece removed. There are a tonnnn of clips below the silver piece, you COULD put lights there, but they'd have to be pretty shallow and narrow. The smooth part of the upper piece has a clip behind it, and the honeycomb part is very close to the end of the studs that the bumper bolts to. You could sneak a hideaway strobe light head behind it, but likely not any driving light worth using in combination with a light bar.

IMG_2903.PNG
Any link or info on how to remove that bumper ?

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I found the rough country directions ,
Seems like a pain, is there no way to remove the two 21mm bolts without removing all of the bumper they look pretty accessible?
Install brackets first then maneuver the light bar in between them and secure with the retainer screws?

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You really can't get behind that panel without removing it. It's three bolts, 5 pop clips and some gentle prying. You'll spend more time messing with the brackets trying to get them in place than you would just following the directions. Takes about 5-8 minutes to come off and 2 minutes to put on.

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're going for ease of installation, light pods can be mounted in the holes left when you remove the five pop clips in steps 4 and 5 in the Rough Country directions. Just put the stud mount of the light through the hole, reach back in there and tighten the nut inside the bumper, no removal of anything necessary.
IMG_1695.JPG

Drew Toner

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
If you're going for ease of installation, light pods can be mounted in the holes left when you remove the five pop clips in steps 4 and 5 in the Rough Country directions. Just put the stud mount of the light through the hole, reach back in there and tighten the nut inside the bumper, no removal of anything necessary.
IMG_1695.JPG
Now that's a good idea!
What type of lights did you use?
Drew

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that's a good idea!
What type of lights did you use?
Drew
Those are Baja Designs Squadron Sports, any of the Squadron-series lights (like the Pro or Racer Edition) share the same housing and you can get them in a bunch of optics to suit your needs. I have two spots and two wide/cornering lights, and I plan to replace the lenses with the yellow ones in the winter.

Drew Toner

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
Those are Baja Designs Squadron Sports, any of the Squadron-series lights (like the Pro or Racer Edition) share the same housing and you can get them in a bunch of optics to suit your needs. I have two spots and two wide/cornering lights, and I plan to replace the lenses with the yellow ones in the winter.
I was thinking might be them, thanks for ideas and info.
Now that corona virus has stopped all assembly lines, God only knows when my lariat will be here! Ordered it last week of February!
Drew
Sponsored