Flat bottom fishing boat on your Ranger?

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT F+4
Curious if anyone has put a boat rack to carry a 10-12ft flat bottom fishing boat on their Ranger?? I slide a 9ft pontoon boat in the back with the tailgate open now but one day would like to get a aluminum flat bottom to fish out of. Haven’t seen many Rangers carrying boats much and figuring out my options.

Cheers
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

VESH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4
Check out almac boat loaders for inspiration. I’ve thought about DIYing something with some rollers on top of ladder racks, but until then I’m just rolling with an inflatable zodiac in the bed

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Curious if anyone has put a boat rack to carry a 10-12ft flat bottom fishing boat on their Ranger?? I slide a 9ft pontoon boat in the back with the tailgate open now but one day would like to get a aluminum flat bottom to fish out of. Haven’t seen many Rangers carrying boats much and figuring out my options.

Cheers
Check out truck bed extenders on Amazon

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
1650889892550.png

here's my preferred transport method above :LOL:

in regard to what you're looking for, it seems like you'd want it above the cab like in @RANGER PRIDE's post. That being said since I think your truck is right same configuration as mine:

1- before we had the trailer down from our house in upstate NY, I used to shove the ol' Child's Play (above) into my dads 6.5' bed f150. it was H E A V Y. I'm not sure I'd want to be lifting it above my head.

2- My boat is 13' long v-hull aluminum. At least half would be hanging over the tailgate and that seems like undue stress on the hull of the boat for a similar length boat

3- if you get a jonboat it'll be much lighter

Regardless i'd recommend a trailer- i'm 32 and lifting even what i'd call my small boat up into a truck bed was absolutely brutal.

hope this helps

OP
OP
Originalskibum
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT F+4
1650889892550.png

in regard to what you're looking for, it seems like you'd want it above the cab like in @RANGER PRIDE's post. That being said since I think your truck is right same configuration as mine:

1- before we had the trailer down from our house in upstate NY, I used to shove the ol' Child's Play (above) into my dads 6.5' bed f150. it was H E A V Y. I'm not sure I'd want to be lifting it above my head.

2- My boat is 13' long v-hull aluminum. At least half would be hanging over the tailgate and that seems like undue stress on the hull of the boat for a similar length boat

Regardless i'd recommend a trailer- i'm 32 and lifting even what i'd call my small boat up into a truck bed was absolutely brutal.

hope this helps

Thanks for the info. I’ve toyed with the idea of a trailer for it. My only concern is there are a lot of lakes in my area I fish that are up on forest service roads and getting a trailer in is not a good idea. So the boat on a trailer will limit where I can take it. Think the Yakima rack is a option or a custom made rack.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Thanks for the info. I’ve toyed with the idea of a trailer for it. My only concern is there are a lot of lakes in my area I fish that are up on forest service roads and getting a trailer in is not a good idea. So the boat on a trailer will limit where I can take it. Think the Yakima rack is a option or a custom made rack.
Keep in mind a small trailer is easy to move around....for a small boat, you could probably detach and move the trailer by hand if needed to turn around in tight spots. Also, if you carry it on a trailer, you can still take it off and launch by hand.

Otherwise, a bed extender comes in handy from time to time. I had one for my F150 and ordered the extender for my Ranger. They make handling extra length much easier....the extra distance helps. I don't use mine often, but I use it enough that over the long term, it's worth the couple hundred bucks.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
the lakes i'm fishing in Jersey are like that- rutted dirt roads. Make sure the U-bolts are tight and give it hell LOL

They just paved all 3 launches in the wildlife area we fish- the actual ramps in the lake (submerged) remain mucky bs though.

Definitely seems like the yakima overhaul or something along those lines would be what you need.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
If you fish a lot, I would think you are going to get awfully tired of hoisting even a small jon boat on and off a set of racks. It is do-able though, but if you don't have the boat yet, i would look into a square stern aluminum canoe for that purpose.

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
1650889892550.png

hope this helps
I want a little boat like that for sure
Sponsored