First Time Ford/Truck owner, few questions and concerns!

Mercfh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Senior QA Engineer
? Hi All, new member here (I've introduced myself in the introductions thread). Hopefully this is an ok to post this as it might sort of be a wall of text. I had been wanting a Truck for awhile and my VW Golf had served it's purpose (and actually been a pretty reliable car) but it was a little small (in the trunk space as well).

Anyways I cross shopped the Colorado/Tacoma and Ranger. Being able to get the A plan helped due to wifes family member working at Ford. The ford just "felt" better and pricing was just honestly a lot better. I've never been fond of GM vehicles and while the Tacoma is SO popular....it just didn't feel as nice. I was able to get an awesome trade in on my car (Thanks used car shortage!) and end up with a 2021 Ford 4x4 with the STX Appearance/Special Edition Package.

I do have a few general questions/concerns:

• This is my first american car (So first Ford) and first truck. I know American cars had a reputation for poor reliability in the 90s so it sorta made me always scared to buy them. Anyways how has the reliability been for Ford in the past? Specifically their trucks (I know the "Ford Exploder" and all the transmission issues back in the early 2000's....but are they pretty decent now?
  • Furthermore is there any long term info/complaints on this Engine/Transmission combo? I've heard that the 2.3 Ecoboost is used in the Mustang and is pretty stout? and I guess this is a pretty common transmission used in other trucks? (Auto transmissions have always scared me so i've always driven a manual normally.....this is my first auto in awhile. Just because of the cost to repair mainly)
  • Any Specific "First time truck" upgrades worth doing? I typically keep stuff stock but I figure Bedliner pad (I have the spray in, but just for extra protection) and mudflaps. (Someone also told me to get a bull bar?)
  • Is it ok/beneficial to use 93 premium gas? Or will it hurt the engine?
  • Last question (I promise haha!), is there any sort of break in procedure for the new engine? I've heard SO many different suggestions (between staying easy on it, to making sure to get in a good range of RPMS). I've generally just been making sure it's "warmed up" before getting on it at all (I've been sorta babying it lol)

Some minor annoyances i've noticed so far:

• No floormats came with the truck (I feel like dealers usually throw these in?) oh well not the trucks fault
  • Weirdly the shift level does not illuminate the gear (D/R/S/P) which is kinda odd. (I am talking about the letters on the center dash next to the shift lever, not on the dashboard)
  • The car sounds sort of buzzy when cold (My guess is fuel injectors?). Seems like a common thing i've seen on the forum (doesn't really bother me either way)
Anyways here is a pic. Hope to become super active on the forum:

142729733574669485.jpg
Sponsored

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Welcome and nice Ranger. I can't answer all your questions but the shift not illuminating seems to have been a delete that happened sometime last year.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Truck looks sharp! I bet you will get plenty of opinions on what to do as far as break in and oil changes etc. Follow your gut, it's your truck.

I'm also fresh out of a small car and love the versatility, convenience, and comfort of this truck. The GM twins just didn't have what I wanted, and I couldn't look my dad in the eye ever again if I bought a Toyota. It's a nice vehicle, but Ford has been cheaping out, like with the shifter light, floor mats and some other stuff.

My $0.02 on fuel is 91 octane top tier. It's about 7 bucks on a tankful, and I believe in using quality ingredients.

Enjoy!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
? Hi All, new member here (I've introduced myself in the introductions thread). Hopefully this is an ok to post this as it might sort of be a wall of text. I had been wanting a Truck for awhile and my VW Golf had served it's purpose (and actually been a pretty reliable car) but it was a little small (in the trunk space as well).

Anyways I cross shopped the Colorado/Tacoma and Ranger. Being able to get the A plan helped due to wifes family member working at Ford. The ford just "felt" better and pricing was just honestly a lot better. I've never been fond of GM vehicles and while the Tacoma is SO popular....it just didn't feel as nice. I was able to get an awesome trade in on my car (Thanks used car shortage!) and end up with a 2021 Ford 4x4 with the STX Appearance/Special Edition Package.

• This is my first american car (So first Ford) and first truck. I know American cars had a reputation for poor reliability in the 90s so it sorta made me always scared to buy them. Anyways how has the reliability been for Ford in the past? Specifically their trucks (I know the "Ford Exploder" and all the transmission issues back in the early 2000's....but are they pretty decent now?
  • Furthermore is there any long term info/complaints on this Engine/Transmission combo? I've heard that the 2.3 Ecoboost is used in the Mustang and is pretty stout? and I guess this is a pretty common transmission used in other trucks? (Auto transmissions have always scared me so i've always driven a manual normally.....this is my first auto in awhile. Just because of the cost to repair mainly)
  • Any Specific "First time truck" upgrades worth doing? I typically keep stuff stock but I figure Bedliner pad (I have the spray in, but just for extra protection) and mudflaps. (Someone also told me to get a bull bar?)
  • Last question (I promise haha!), is there any sort of break in procedure for the new engine? I've heard SO many different suggestions (between staying easy on it, to making sure to get in a good range of RPMS). I've generally just been making sure it's "warmed up" before getting on it at all (I've been sorta babying it lol)

• No floormats came with the truck (I feel like dealers usually throw these in?) oh well not the trucks fault
  • Weirdly the shift level does not illuminate the gear (D/R/S/P) which is kinda odd. (I am talking about the letters on the center dash next to the shift lever, not on the dashboard)
  • The car sounds sort of buzzy when cold (My guess is fuel injectors?). Seems like a common thing i've seen on the forum (doesn't really bother me either way)

142729733574669485.jpg
Hi M,

To a degree these forums are loaded with problems and solutions and as such can give you a negative slant. Most of us have had trouble free experiences with our Rangers. Powerful engine, silky smooth transmission and some of the high mileage Rangers are still going strong and trouble free.

Ford Light Engineering tests Trucks to 150,000 miles of durability for the 90 percentile customer...something you will likely never be...eg oil field service....downtown Los Angeles delivery and such. I hope you will find the Ranger lives up to your expectations... As far as your nits...the worst if the cold start fan noise in my mind...harmless but can be annoying with the fan roaring away until the fan clutch fluid spins out of lock up... PRNDS non illumination is a fact....It was taken away. I frankly never look at it, but do not drive much at night in my old age... I learned to use the dash indicator anyway. Can't speak to floor mats but XL likely does not come with them...do not know as mine was a high end Lariat. I also get the retiree Z plan, like A plan...about 2.5% below dealer invioice, so a pretty good deal.

Anyway...Enjoy your new Ranger...it has a proud heritage of which I was part.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Yes. GM and Ford still have their "dogs", but generally the quality has improved over the last 20-30 years. A lot of the parts are even made by the same companies as european and japanese manufacturers use (such as Bosch and Denso), even if they slap their own brand name on them.
The 2.3 is pretty common. No big issues that I was able to find searching. Same with the 10 speed transmission. It's used by both GM and Ford in multiple vehicles including their full size pickups and SUVs (they developed it together).
If you have the spray in, the pad would be a waste imo. Mudflaps are good for protecting against rock chips (just got some installed myself).
You get more horsepower and performance. The engine will run fine on 87 or 93 or anything in between (it adjusts the timing automatically as needed).
My understanding is to just drive it like you plan to. Don't tow for the first 1000 miles or so, and don't drone it out for 600 miles at 85 mph either. Maybe stay away from burnouts for a little bit too... :)

Weird...wonder if that's because it was an XL? If the shipping wasn't ridiculous I'd sell you mine cheap. I ended up ordering the rubber mats (had them in my last GM truck and really liked having them).
Yep. Hear it's something they took out last year sometime to save money. Just like the missing ring around the ignition cylinder. Probably saved $1 each on those but when you build several thousand it gets into some real money I guess...
I'm not sure about this. Haven't really noticed it. Have noticed some hard shifts in the 35-45 range on my truck until it warms up, but going to wait until it's more broken in to have it looked at (in case it's just part of the "learning process".)

Oh and nice looking truck. Mine looks very similar but is an XLT FX4 (same Race Red though). :)

Last edited:

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor

142729733574669485.jpg
Love that package! Sweet ride! I was going to buy a TRD Pro Tacoma and after test driving my Ranger and Tacoma I decided to stay with Ford (I’m a life long Ford enthusiast) The Ranger was the better truck hands down.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yep. Ordered one this week myself. Hoping it'll come before next week, but it's all up to the USPS now... :p
I think he should try to sell them to dealers. Dealer slaps the hood of a new Ranger, "If you buy this truck right now I'll throw in an ignition ring bezel !" :D

OP
OP

Mercfh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Senior QA Engineer
how has no one told him to get a tailgate damper
Lol! I know that was one sort of weird missing thing. Is there a recommended one? (the TG is pretty light so I gotta say)

Also the ring around the ignition is def annoying, my key keeps getting stuck in it lol!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the Ranger. The search function will reveal a wealth of information to some of your questions.. Some good info, some bad, some... Have fun and ask away.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Lol! I know that was one sort of weird missing thing. Is there a recommended one? (the TG is pretty light so I gotta say)

Also the ring around the ignition is def annoying, my key keeps getting stuck in it lol!
PS Damper, Do It. Do It Now!:crackup:

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse

142729733574669485.jpg
Nice ride!!!

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Last question (I promise haha!), is there any sort of break in procedure for the new engine? I've heard SO many different suggestions (between staying easy on it, to making sure to get in a good range of RPMS). I've generally just been making sure it's "warmed up" before getting on it at all (I've been sorta babying it lol)
Break in instructions: Don't baby it. Don't abuse it. Just drive it.
Sponsored