First Real Towing Experience. I'm Happy.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Yesterday we towed our new boat from our river house back home. 108 hilly miles from Dubuque to Cedar Falls IA. 4000#. Don't know the tongue weight, but it was adequate. The hitch squats 3/4" from the load.
I stayed at 65 mph mainly to protect the canvas boat cover. Once up to speed the Ranger hardly knew the boat was back there. I started by controlling each shift in S mode, but realized the truck knows exactly what to do on its own.
Previous tow vehicle was a '99 Durango. I never used cruise control because the three (four?) speed + OD tranny would go ape sh*t on the slightest hill.
I set the cruise control in the Ranger and let it figure out the best gear. 10 speeds are definitely better than three or four. It generally stayed between 8 and 10, occasionally dropping to 7 on a long uphill.
13.5 mpg. Better than the 10 mpg with the blunderbuss Durango 318/5.2
Sponsored

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
any reason why you didnt use tow mode?
Only that I forgot it is available. From what I understand it is mainly a lane tracking feature, using the ABS to correct for any sway. ....correct? Does this mode alter the shifting?
Even with a moderate cross wind the rig tracked well, so I never thought about the mode. Also the Shoreland'r surge brake made the trailer invisible while braking.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Activating the tow/haul mode switch alters the trans shift pattern to compensate for the load. Much more pleasant to use it. Also, when not towing, it provides a real kick in the rear for acceleration and automatically shifting rather than the standard drive mode. Like using the sport mode, but the shifts are very crisp...very noticeable difference when you want to have "fun".
Switch to activate is the switch on the left, and a similar looking icon will show up in dash display.

trailer button.jpg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
it definitely alters the shift profile. I get NOTABLY better fuel economy when towing if I use tow/haul mode.

I don't use cruise when towing.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
the transmission braking on tow mode is great for sure.
I also like the way the tow mode can save different trailer lengths as well. For the safety features I believe.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Only that I forgot it is available. From what I understand it is mainly a lane tracking feature, using the ABS to correct for any sway. ....correct? Does this mode alter the shifting?
Even with a moderate cross wind the rig tracked well, so I never thought about the mode. Also the Shoreland'r surge brake made the trailer invisible while braking.
Tow/Haul mode does not have anything to due with lane keeping. That is a separate feature that you control with the button at the end of your turn signal stalk. Tow/Haul mode (as others described, changes the transmission shift schedule) is great feature when towing and it is also a great solution to the low RPM lugging that can occur in city driving.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yeah tow haul mode is great! Lots of power always knows what gear to keep the truck in. Engine braking as well to help slow you down. Just like a diesel. I wish drive mode was as good as tow. Or sport. But use tow mode. You will feel a world of difference! Really good little truck

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
:thumbsup: :like: On all that has been said for tow mode. That is my every day driving mode. If you really want to know how nice it is, use it for a week straight then try drive again. you will go wright back to tow mode.

Turbo Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Had my first towing experience with my Tremor today, went to get my 7x16 inline Triton TC167 snowmoblie trailer, and the truck tows very well, have to get a new hitch ball mount with a 4" drop as the rear of the truck sits a bit higher than my previous truck, overall quite happy
Sponsored