First Mud

hsmith21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Silver FX4 302a
Got to take my 2019 FX4 out for her first mud of the summer down in South Jersey. She performed flawlessly in water up to about 24" inches, including one pit where the entire hood was briefly submerged. Thankful I added the 2" BDS level which definitely helped keep the engine bay dry(er). Between mud/rut mode on the terrain management system and the electronic locker, there really wasn't anything the Ranger couldn't get through. Even crawling around some areas with a wheel off the ground was no issue at all. Overall, I am thrilled with the off-road performance of my Ranger and can't wait to get her back out soon!

IMG_9118.jpg
IMG_9126.jpg
IMG_8957.jpg
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Good to hear it did ok at that depth in a water crossing. I know we don't want to submerge certain things on TBE trucks if we can avoid it but when we want to make it through the trail there isn't much choice. With that said I will still consider the Safari Snorkel too.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Got to take my 2019 FX4 out for her first mud of the summer down in South Jersey. She performed flawlessly in water up to about 24" inches, including one pit where the entire hood was briefly submerged. Thankful I added the 2" BDS level which definitely helped keep the engine bay dry(er). Between mud/rut mode on the terrain management system and the electronic locker, there really wasn't anything the Ranger couldn't get through. Even crawling around some areas with a wheel off the ground was no issue at all. Overall, I am thrilled with the off-road performance of my Ranger and can't wait to get her back out soon!

IMG_9118.jpg
IMG_9126.jpg
IMG_8957.jpg
And all this on the stock Hankooks!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And all this on the stock Hankooks!
I won't argue that the Hankook ATM's are a pretty good tire. I used to have them when i had my Frontier. The only complaint I had was god forbid they see the shadow of a screw or nail because they will go flat. Other than that they are a good set of tires.

OP
OP
hsmith21

hsmith21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Silver FX4 302a
I won't argue that the Hankook ATM's are a pretty good tire. I used to have them when i had my Frontier. The only complaint I had was god forbid they see the shadow of a screw or nail because they will go flat. Other than that they are a good set of tires.
I agree they're a solid performer for what they are (price and highway oriented ATs). Kept up just fine with my buddy's 33x12.5 duratracs, although there were a few spots I would have preferred the more aggressive tread. My plan is to eventually replace the Dynapros with 1 inch bigger KO2s. However, I would like to get closer to 50k miles before doing so to get my money's worth on the stock tires. Really wish the Ranger had the KO2 option like the Bronco will. Could have a second tier FX4 package with KO2 and fox suspension (without all the stickers and license plate frames the new performance packs have). They'd be basically printing money.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I swapped out my tires shortly after getting the truck and got a pretty decent price for the stock tires. Posted them on CL, FB, etc and they sold in a couple of days. I had KO2s on my Tacoma and I wasn’t overly impressed with them on pavement, also had one bust a belt during mild off-roading.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree they're a solid performer for what they are (price and highway oriented ATs). Kept up just fine with my buddy's 33x12.5 duratracs, although there were a few spots I would have preferred the more aggressive tread. My plan is to eventually replace the Dynapros with 1 inch bigger KO2s. However, I would like to get closer to 50k miles before doing so to get my money's worth on the stock tires. Really wish the Ranger had the KO2 option like the Bronco will. Could have a second tier FX4 package with KO2 and fox suspension (without all the stickers and license plate frames the new performance packs have). They'd be basically printing money.
As long as you do your road test when you're supposed to you should have no problems getting 50,000 miles out of those tires. I want to say the original said that was on my Frontier went about 54,000 miles.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree. The FX4 Rangers really should come with an enhanced AT such as the K02 or similar tires, which, along with the Fox suspension, would make the FX4 that much more attractive to customers. I just changed over to Falken Wildpeaks after putting 9,000 miles on the Hankooks. To be fair, the Hankooks were wearing well and did not give me any trouble; I just wanted to upgrade to something more capable and durable.
Sponsored