First major booboo

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Well I officially broke the truck (in) today. I backed into a dumpster and dented the tailgate and put a hole in it. The weird part is the backup alarm did not give me any warnings. :curse:

Now to look at my options to fix it short of filing an insurance claim, since my insurance company is getting ready to replace my roof due to storm damage.

As much as I don't care for the looks of the plastic cover plate Ford sells, that might be my easiest option. I'm almost afraid to see what body shops will charge to fix or replace and color match.

Ranger tailgate booboo.jpg
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Well I officially broke the truck (in) today. I backed into a dumpster and dented the tailgate and put a hole in it. The weird part is the backup alarm did not give me any warnings. :curse:

Now to look at my options to fix it short of filing an insurance claim, since my insurance company is getting ready to replace my roof due to storm damage.

As much as I don't care for the looks of the plastic cover plate Ford sells, that might be my easiest option. I'm almost afraid to see what body shops will charge to fix or replace and color match.

Ranger tailgate booboo.jpg
That is a major booboo all right. I would still turn it into the insurance company, that is why you pay for insurance.

OP
OP
12Bravo20

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I am going to call them. I just don't want rates to go up or get dropped since the adjuster just came to inspect my roof and State Farm is going to replace that. Prices of a new tailgate that still needs painted gave me a bit of sticker shock. I'll see what State Farm has to say in the morning.

MustangMike2021

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4 1966 Mustang GT Fastback
Occupation
Tech

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
If you are considering paying for the repair yourself, I would get an estimate to evaluate that option before you call your insurer. Once you call your insurer they may document the accident in your claims history whether you pursue a claim with them or not.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sorry to hear this happened and would really like to know why your sensors didn't go off. Good thing you didn't get the taillight too, those are $1,200 last I saw. You could also check with junk yards and other places that part out vehicles. You might get lucky and find one there that only had front end damage.

OP
OP
12Bravo20

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I don't know why the backup alarms didn't go off either. I double and triple checked them when I got home and they are working. I was making a sharp turn as I was backing into a driveway to turn around when I hit the dumpster.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Sometimes, the problem with the alarm, is you get use to hearing them in tight places. They go crazy every time I pull in and out of my garage, I know that im clear though. I have to force myself to pay attention to the sound. I still rely on looking around me before I get in, bc I dont 100% trust them.

OP
OP
12Bravo20

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I was watching both mirrors and the camera. I turned to look out the right side mirror to make sure I didn't hit the parked car and that is when I hit the dumpster. And no I don't trust the backup alarm 100% either.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I was watching both mirrors and the camera. I turned to look out the right side mirror to make sure I didn't hit the parked car and that is when I hit the dumpster. And no I don't trust the backup alarm 100% either.
No matter how careful we are, things are going to happen and it really sucks when they do. Something like this would really bother me. Sorry it happened. ?