Firestone Destination XTs in hot climate

IngotTexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey y'all,

I'm currently looking into replacing the stock Bridgestones after I'll be done installing my 2.5" leveling kit later today. I'm looking into 265/70/r17 Firestone Destination XTs but heres the thing: I'm a college student and go back and forth between Mississippi and Texas quite a few times a year. Obviously neither of these states get very much snow so I wouldn't really need the 3 peak mountain snowflake certification that this tire has. Since this tire is relatively new there isn't very much info out there on them, except a few reviews that state they're a very solid tire, but these reviews seem to come from people who will deal with snow or reviewed them in snowy or blizzard like conditions, not really any folks like me in the South.

I ran a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s on my mustang I had prior to the Ranger at the recommendation of my brother, and really loved those things, grip and treadlife were insanely good. I'm willing to give firestone a shot on ATs since those treated me super well and their customer service was great, but I'm not really sold on their AT or AT2 looks wise... Other than that my only other real experience with buying tires were Cooper Discoverer ATPs that I had on an old Ford explorer. Didn't love them or hate them as I only really had them on the SUV for 6 months before selling it, but they are another option as well. I am definitely open to other suggestions as well.

Edit: Really dig the white outline on the sidewall so that is another reason I am looking into these

So my main question is: would there be an issue running these allterrains in really hot environments instead of those that are more snowy that these tires were really designed for? Could I possibly expect a bit of quicker wear? Should I just go with something more tried and true?

Thanks y'all
Sponsored

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hey y'all,

I'm currently looking into replacing the stock Bridgestones after I'll be done installing my 2.5" leveling kit later today. I'm looking into 265/70/r17 Firestone Destination XTs but heres the thing: I'm a college student and go back and forth between Mississippi and Texas quite a few times a year. Obviously neither of these states get very much snow so I wouldn't really need the 3 peak mountain snowflake certification that this tire has. Since this tire is relatively new there isn't very much info out there on them, except a few reviews that state they're a very solid tire, but these reviews seem to come from people who will deal with snow or reviewed them in snowy or blizzard like conditions, not really any folks like me in the South.

I ran a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s on my mustang I had prior to the Ranger at the recommendation of my brother, and really loved those things, grip and treadlife were insanely good. I'm willing to give firestone a shot on ATs since those treated me super well and their customer service was great, but I'm not really sold on their AT or AT2 looks wise... Other than that my only other real experience with buying tires were Cooper Discoverer ATPs that I had on an old Ford explorer. Didn't love them or hate them as I only really had them on the SUV for 6 months before selling it, but they are another option as well. I am definitely open to other suggestions as well.

Edit: Really dig the white outline on the sidewall so that is another reason I am looking into these

So my main question is: would there be an issue running these allterrains in really hot environments instead of those that are more snowy that these tires were really designed for? Could I possibly expect a bit of quicker wear? Should I just go with something more tried and true?

Thanks y'all
The Firestone Destination XT is supposed to be a pretty good all terrain tire. I myself went with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 and i love it. For offroad the tire holds up and for the street it is smooth as well and i have the 265/70-17. Hope that helps

OP
OP
IngotTexasRanger

IngotTexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The Firestone Destination XT is supposed to be a pretty good all terrain tire. I myself went with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 and i love it. For offroad the tire holds up and for the street it is smooth as well and i have the 265/70-17. Hope that helps
awesome, I like that tread pattern and will definitely add them to the short list. How many miles on them so far?

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
The cold weather symbol does not mean the tire can not run in heat. They are not so specialized like older snow tires that you can not run in dry and warmer weather. The symbol means the tire has improved traction and uses rubber that can withstand sub freezing temps without freezing and cracking. A tire with such a symbol can run on a Mustang but grip would not be as good as a summer tire. Tire compound can be specialized to increase performance. Summer tires can run in snow but traction will be reduced and in sub freezing weather, sidewall cracking can occur when tire is cold. The Firestone brand has improved a lot over the years. The Indy 500 tire you mention is actually a Bridgestone design S003 outside the USA but brought to America as a lower cost performance tire to compete in a lower cost market.

Firestone will serve well.
Bridgestone AT Revo 3 will be better.

Three things affect a tire.
Heat, speed and load.

Maintain correct inflation.
If you carry heavy load, lower speed better. High speeds increase tire flex which increases internal heat.
Lower inflation increases flex, which increases heat. Higher load increases flex, and heat.
Higher heat can increase wear also. Higher heat, softer rubber, more wear.

OP
OP
IngotTexasRanger

IngotTexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The cold weather symbol does not mean the tire can not run in heat. They are not so specialized like older snow tires that you can not run in dry and warmer weather. The symbol means the tire has improved traction and uses rubber that can withstand sub freezing temps without freezing and cracking. A tire with such a symbol can run on a Mustang but grip would not be as good as a summer tire. Tire compound can be specialized to increase performance. Summer tires can run in snow but traction will be reduced and in sub freezing weather, sidewall cracking can occur when tire is cold. The Firestone brand has improved a lot over the years. The Indy 500 tire you mention is actually a Bridgestone design S003 outside the USA but brought to America as a lower cost performance tire to compete in a lower cost market.

Firestone will serve well.
Bridgestone AT Revo 3 will be better.

Three things affect a tire.
Heat, speed and load.

Maintain correct inflation.
If you carry heavy load, lower speed better. High speeds increase tire flex which increases internal heat.
Lower inflation increases flex, which increases heat. Higher load increases flex, and heat.
Higher heat can increase wear also. Higher heat, softer rubber, more wear.
thanks for the reply, definitely good info! I guess I’ll just have to go get a few different recommended tires test fitted and see which brand passes the eye test haha

AZLightning

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 Kawasaki Versys 650
Well I have had a set of 285/70r17 Destination XT on mine for 7,000 miles here in Phoenix AZ. Absolutely love the tires I've towed with them a few times and they have been all over the state and southern Utah with absolutely no issues. On a side note I did NOT have to run spacers.

IMG_0263.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well I have had a set of 285/70r17 Destination XT on mine for 7,000 miles here in Phoenix AZ. Absolutely love the tires I've towed with them a few times and they have been all over the state and southern Utah with absolutely no issues. On a side note I did NOT have to run spacers.

IMG_0263.jpg
So let me get this straight. You are running the XT on factory wheels and no rubbing at all!?

AZLightning

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So let me get this straight. You are running the XT on factory wheels and no rubbing at all!?
Yes Sir I had them put spacers on at the tire shop but looked at it when I got home there was plenty of room so I pulled them have been fine for 7,000 miles but I do have a fox 2.0 leveling kit

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes Sir I had them put spacers on at the tire shop but looked at it when I got home there was plenty of room so I pulled them have been fine for 7,000 miles but I do have a fox 2.0 leveling kit
That is good to know sir! I currently have the old man emu lift and was concerned about running that size tire because everyone's had to have spacers to run them. By chance did you have to do anything else like removing crash bars or anything?

AZLightning

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is good to know sir! I currently have the old man emu lift and was concerned about running that size tire because everyone's had to have spacers to run them. By chance did you have to do anything else like removing crash bars or anything?
I removed the covers on the crash bars but did not mess with the actual crash bars, I do have a little frame rub on full lock but only some times but not every time

OP
OP
IngotTexasRanger

IngotTexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_0263.jpg
Wow, great to know, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Was there any specific reason you went with them and in that size? I know since they're so new you are essentially the guinea pig for the Destination XTs

AZLightning

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, great to know, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Was there any specific reason you went with them and in that size? I know since they're so new you are essentially the guinea pig for the Destination XTs
I have a friend at Firestone that cut me a good deal and I liked the look of the tire. As for size that's the largest tire you can fit with only slight mods which in my case are a leveling kit and removing the crash bar covers. People running other tires in the same size have had to run spacers and adjust/remove their crash bars with this tire I did not have to do that.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For me the reason I went with the Bridgestone over the Firestone was price at the time. From what I have heard is the Firestone XT is an AWESOME tire and will be the next one for me to go too. Either way you will get a nice tire.
Sponsored